“The owner is rude and the winery is dirty which is reflected in the quality of the wine.”

Pleasant Hill Winery
Ranked #3 of 23 things to do in Brenham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I paid to take the tour of the winery. I had some questions for the winemaker who happens to also be the owner. I showed up early hoping to speak with him. I first spoke to a younger gentleman who worked there and he was very friendly but could not answer my questions. He told me I should speak with the owner. When I saw the owner I went up to him and introduced myself and told him I had some questions. He immediately got hostile and professed he was a nice guy but very rudely refused to answer any questions. I decided to tour the winery anyway since I had already paid for the tour. Upon entering the cellar I noticed it was cluttered and dirty as was the gift shop. It just so happened the day we toured they were releasing a 2007 Cab Sav. It was off color and terrible. I also tasted a white that was mediocre at best. The vineyard was not well taken care of with lots of dead grapes on the vines and gaps where vines had died and were removed. It was very clear that the owner had no pride in his operation and he was only interested in taking your money. Needless to say I left the tour early very disappointed and feeling ripped off. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Visited August 2013
6 Thank WineGuy312

Brenham, Texas
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Delicious Wine and Great Vintners”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Pleasant Hill Winery is just a short drive from our B&B. We send all our guests out to enjoy this lovely spot in the country. The vintners are extremely knowledgeable, the wines have won all kinds of awards and there is nothing better than sitting on their deck with a food & wine pairing! The Blac du Bois is wonderful with savory cheese and cheesecake!!

Visited March 2013
4 Thank TexasInnkeeper
Hockley, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Two tours and two wine bottles later...”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We originally found this winery courtesy of Ant Street Inn. The Blanc du Bois was set out with cheese and crackers for the social hour and we enjoyed it while rocking on the second story balcony. It was heaven and for the first time in my life I got a second glass of white wine! I am a red fan usually and love it with Italian or for no reason at all! Anyway, I noticed a Pleasant Hill Winery flyer in the foyer the next morning and quickly added that to our weekend fun to do list. We arrived just in time for the last tour and took the sweet wine tasting so we'd be sure to get our favorite. The owner told us the family and vineyard history over tastings of the next several wines. We viewed the cellar where wine is fermented, tested and bottled. Very interesting and charming to see the small family business success. Some awards are displayed in their gift shop area and I saw mention of a port...hmm. Upon returning my last glass I noticed a port tasting offered. I couldn't resist. Who even knew there was a white port, or that port is made with brandy? Such a wealth of knowledge and such a wonderful hostess! We also tried the Rosso and Tawny Rosso and were amazed! They also have handcrafted artisan chocolate made with their port ;). We really enjoyed our tour and this was our last "big" event to cap off our anniversary weekend so it will be remembered. So a bottle of Blanc du Bois and Rosso Porte for souvenirs, we're feeling our way back to Ant Street thoroughly thrilled with our quick trip outside of Brenham. Now, if I could just get my new favorite wine in Houston!

Visited May 2013
6 Thank TheSimpleLife3
Katy, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Texas vineyards”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We enjoyed a beautiful day driving to Brenham and visiting this vineyard. The owner is to be commended for his hospitality and knowledge of wine growing in Texas! It really was interesting.
Its a small place but so enjoyable! I highly recommend this!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank texastraveler77494
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Gorgeous hillside scenery and wine loving owners”
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review somewhat to rebut the review that complained about high priced tasting... My opinion is that the overall experience was fabulous. The value was adequate compared to other Texas winery tours go. I loved the down to earth vibe going on with the owners (they really work there!) and I love the country quaint ambiance of the place. Thank you for being so gracious and attentive to us during our visit! We will be back soon :)

Visited November 2012