“Honestly, not even close to the best park in Texas.”

Lake Brownwood State Park
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Brownwood
More attraction details
Owner description: Great stargazing and nice cabins to stay in.
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I'm going to be as honest as I can.

This last weekend, we stayed at Lake Brownwood State Park. I'll start with the major problems and work my way down.

The major problems is that the sites barely have any tree cover at all. The hot blazing Texas sun will bake you half to death, which forces most into the A/C in their RV's. If you have a tent, I would highly suggest winter only.

At the park headquarters, they gave my wife and I a booklet that told about the "tree cover" on each site so we could choose. There was 1 site in the booklet that had 50% tree cover so we decided that we'd take that. When we arrived at the site (and other sites) to our horror, there was hardly a tree to be seen. I am not exaggerating here, that 50% tree cover site, merely had 5% tree coverage. Everything was out in the open.

I would say about 90% of the camp sites in Lake Brownwood State Park are that way. You park in the sun, there is barely any shade to be under.

The next problem, the sites are close together. Look, I enjoy talking / meeting people, but come on, I could hear every world loud and clear of what 2 "neighbors" were talking about. If you start a fire to roast marshmallows with the kids, it's kind of strange to have your neighbors tent 25-30ft from your fire ring.

The next problem - toilets.

There is a loop of about 25 sites that have access to a main toilet/shower area. I walk into the men's bathroom and there are TWO regular toilet bowls - that's it. (in our camp area other camp areas had 1 toilet bowl, one latrine). My wife says that in the women's bathroom, 3 toilets in one bathroom, 1 of them out of order, another without a door.

So, here is the gross part - there was pee all over the men's bathroom floors. Sticky old pee. It remained there the entire weekened and the bathroom kept degrading throughout. The morning we left, I noticed bare footprints of kids who had ran across the sticky old pee. It really made me sick.

This "campground" is more of a "loud lake" campground. Lots of people running around in swimwear / shirtless & trunks / bare feet. Plenty of loud radios, motors all night, and you get wofts of cig smoke often.

The hiking trails are a joke, and why they advertise them as handicap accessable is beyond me. They were very rugged and not kept well.

The good side - nice big lake.
It is about 20 minutes from Brownsville Texas.

To sum it up, if you are into running around late nights with sweaty & stinky people, baking in the sun all day, playing hop scotch with pee in the bathrooms, loud sounds and music, and barely being with nature - this is the campground for you.

But if you are into nice scenic beauty, trees, peaceful atmospheres, large campsites, clean bathrooms, and privacy - don't consider this park.

The reason I did not give this a rating of 1 is that I've seen RV parks that had RV's parked 8ft away from each other. I save the 1's for that.

My advice, move on.

in 13 reviews

A TripAdvisor Member
Seminole, TX
Reviewed 19 August 2003

This State Park is located on the shoreline of Lake Brownwood. Camp areas have paved RV pads as well as tent pads. Cabins are available as well. Restrooms are kept clean and in good working oder. Boat ramps are located within the park making launching easy. This is one of the most peacefull parks we have stayed in.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Lake Brownwood State Park? Share your experiences!