“Unbelievably good”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is an all you eat cafeteria style restaurant with some of the best Texas BBQ I have had. You can pick one meat dish then whatever amount of sides you want. They even give you a box to take the excess home with you, all for $10 and half. Every now and then someone will come around with fresh hot biscuits right out of the oven, The staff is very friendly and helpful. Worth the drive to Brownwood if you are in central Texas.

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My husband grew up going to the Underwood's in Waco and has always spoken highly of it. We were on a road trip and somewhat near Brownwood, so we thought we'd try it out. He said it was just as good as he remembered - especially the rolls, potato salad, and peach cobbler.
It is a Lubys style cafeteria, you select your meat and then you can pick out as many sides as you want. It is reasonably priced too, we only spent about $20 for 2 people and A LOT of food! If you're ever near Brownwood, it's definitely worth the stop!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

What can I say about tradition? I grew up knowing about Underwood’s. My family used to stop at Underwood’s when traveling through Texas when I was a kid. I liked it then, and I liked it this time.

We were in town on business and our hotel was very close by so we went for lunch. I hadn’t been there in a very long time, but remembered the cobbler (oh my goodness – that crust!), and it was every bit as good as my memory told me. I opted not to have the BBQ this time, and instead had what was possibly one of the best chicken fried steaks I’ve ever eaten. It was a huge serving, and was smothered in a wonderful white gravy. It was also nice to have the delicious hot rolls delivered to the table, seemingly non-stop.

I’m glad we went, even though I ate way too much. But what a treat!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

While bombing down Hwy 67 in West Texas I looked up and saw this beautiful Route 66-esque sign...Underwood's Cafeteria. I sighed, thinking I didn't have time to stop, when I saw they had a drive-thru window and said, "What the heck!" Right choice.

No ordering speaker, no menu posted, just a single window. When the lady slid it back I said I'd take an iced tea and..."Do you have brisket sandwiches?" I was unprepared!

"Not really, but. We have (something I did not catch) and steak-in-a-bun."

"I want that."

I got it with everything, which is to say, sauce (bbq), pickles, and a thick slice of onion. The sandwich was about seven inches across, and delicious.

That folks is my only experience with Underwood's--so far. I would absolutely go back. And next time I will go inside and do it proper.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

My wife and I had lunch at this restaurant on our way to New Mexico. It's not a real BBQ place and don't go there if you want gourmet meals, but for a little price you can get a LOT of food! The quality of the food is Okay. When you get one of their plates, you get unlimited sides, drinks & desert. So, with a plate of chicken or beef you can fill up a whole tray of mashed potato, pickled okra and peppers, gravy, sweet corn, potato salad, cole slaw, beans, etc. for only 8-10 $.

Been to Underwoods Cafeteria? Share your experiences!