“delicious Mexican food!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went here with family over the holidays, and their Mexican food was outrageously good. Try one of their signature molcajetes, served in a traditional three-legged pot made out of volcanic rock. The chipotle sauce served in the molcajete will make you cry from happiness.

This place has everything you want out of an unpretentious Mexican joint - friendly service (our server was kind enough to bring out a big sample of mole for everyone to try), cheerful decor, and a menu that will satisfy the pickiest eaters. Great for Tex-Mex newbies or seasoned eaters.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Los Molcajetes is one of my favorite Mexican food restaurants in Bryan. Don't let the location in a shopping center fool you. Inside, the atmosphere is warm with the colors of Mexico everywhere, Mexican art on the walls, and Mexican flare on the tables. The menu is very diverse, with truly something for everyone. The nachos for an appetizer are loaded. All of the soup is great, but I highly recommend the Maria Bonita. The flavors of chicken, noodles, avocado, and rich broth all come together for an incredible taste. If you're not extremely hungry, go a la carte and get a taco or two. For the heartier appetite, the molcajetes are amazing, warm, flavorful and filling, with great corn tortillas to put them in. The fajitas are sizzling and seasoned just right, and they have a diverse seafood menu that really accentuates the flavors of the Mexican coast. They constantly have food and drink specials, including great margaritas. To top it off, everyone there is very friendly and attentive. Whether your passing through, or in town for a few days, stop at Los Molcajetes, and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I recently discovered this gem of a restaurant with a friend when we wanted to go out to lunch. He was intrigued by the name so we headed there one day last month. It is an interesting restaurant with local Mexican art adorning the walls, family style dining room and conveniently located at Villa Maria and Texas Avenue, right next to Hastings Books.

They have an extensive menu and I needed several items translated for me since I had not seen them offered at other Mexican food restaurants. Our lunch was great and I have returned with family since then for dinner and was again pleasantly surprised with the food. The service is good and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My first trip to Los Molcajetes was with a work-related luncheon. I didn't know what to expect and had a very difficult time finding the place. However the first thing that impressed me was how quick they were able to get a large table together during a busy lunchtime rush.

I ordered off the lunch menu and got a surprisingly inexpensive meal of chicken enchiladas in mole sauce. And was surprised to taste the best mole I've had in ages! The chicken was also moist and well made. The corn tortillas were delicious. And the rice and beans were also tasty.

I liked it so much I went back the next day with my spouse. I ordered the caldo (served only on weekends) and one little bowl was just the right size for a delicious dinner. It was full of beef and veggies.

During our lunchtime meal my boss ordered one of the molcajetes, served in a giant pottery bowl. He said it was absolutely delicious. Perhaps I'll try one on a later trip.

In all the food is far more like what you'll find in Mexico and not Tex-Mex. The service is friendly and enthusiastic, but not rushed. And the mole sauce is excellent.

We'll be back.

1  Thank Shutter_Bug
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have to travel to College Station often for work and love supporting local, family-owned restaurants. Tonight I was in the mood for some authentic non-Tex-Mex Mexican food. I took Skyvi's recommendation and went to Los Molcajetes.
This restaurant is in a strip mall (H.E.B. shopping center), which did not surprise me that much since the last restaurant that Skyvi took me to (Cenare) was also in a strip mall. Maybe there is a theme here--- family-owned restaurants, authentic cuisine, caring staff, outstanding food. Works for me!

Los Molcajetes is known for their molcajete dishes (hence the clever name). So, I had Tilapia Molcajete. For those not familiar with a "molcajete", it is the Mexican version of a mortar and pestle tool, made from volcanic rock. Claudia, my server,offered to blend the mild sauce with the really spicy sauce to make Goldilocks here happy with juuuuusst the right amount of spice.

The entire dining experience was truly outstanding. The portions of food was perfect; the prices are awesome; the staff were all fantastic, friendly and attentive, particularly Claudia. This link that provides a bit on the history of this family-owned restaurant is worth the read.

I can't wait to return to try some of their other dishes.
If you are in the College Station area, looking for the best, authentic Mexican food, give Los Malcajetes a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank chefviking_ME