“Anniversary ruined!”

The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Bryan
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We came here for the cellar wine tour and to eat at the restaurant afterwards for our anniversary. We did not stay in a room. The grounds this time of year are awful. Everything looks dead and they don't seem to maintain it. We took a walk around the pond and there were dead trees fallen and dead underbrush that hadn't been cleared. It was a bit of a "Grey Gardens" kind of feel. Wish it was summer so things would have been blooming, but you can't help when your anniversary is. The tour was interesting...could have done without all the Aggie "whooping" by the tour guide tho. We tasted 5 wines and all but one was awful. To be fair, we aren't wine connoisseurs, so...yeah. Others in the group seemed to enjoy them. We were looking forward to dinner, as we have heard great things about the food. We walked in and were shocked by this huge, open room...not the intimate setting that it shows in their picture. In the middle of this enormous room sat a huge table of 20-25 college students who had arrived on a bus TWO HOURS late for their reservation. Evelio, the gentleman who greeted us, immediately said they were late for their reservation and were supposed to be gone by the time our reservation started which was 8:00. They had just arrived at 7:30 and were already three sheets to the wind when we arrived. We should have left then, had we known what was to occur. But, we tried to make the best of it and we were starving. Evelio was also our waiter (and, as it turns out, the manager for that night). We ordered our food and ate the wonderful bread and seasoned olive oil that accompanied it. The party of students began to get louder and louder, which was in direct proportion to the amount of wine they were consuming, some were practically yelling. "F" bombs were being thrown, amongst other flowery, inappropriate words...we'd had enough. I was waffling between tears and anger and frustration. I asked Evelio to please tell them to cut it out. He did tell them to keep it down and watch their language...which lasted all of two minutes. Our meal came which I have mixed feelings about. The filet was amazing and melted in my mouth. The vegetables were delicious and cooked perfectly...all two baby carrots and 5 green beans. The mashed potatoes, however, had the texture and taste of a boxed potato. Not good. For the price, the amount of food was laughable. But, that's "fine dining" for you. I think the most disappointing thing was that, after all we had to endure, Evelio never once offered to accommodate us...comp our dessert, take a portion off the bill. Nothing!! He knew it was our anniversary, too and he knew how upset we were. The staff, as a whole are very nice. However, our waiter was constantly being pulled to do the flambé desserts. So, we spent a lot of time waiting and listening to the idiots hooping and hollering. We will never come back here again. Our anniversary was ruined and nothing was done to make it right. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank plattapus
Scott S, General Manager at The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for your very important feedback regarding your stay with us at Messina Hof. I deeply regret that things were not even close to your expectations for a wonderful anniversary event and I sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced.

Please allow me to invite you back as my guest, so that my team and I can provide an excellent weekend and exceed your expectations. Again, I appreciate your feedback and apologize. I hope you will allow us to make it right for you.

Thank you.

Scott Sloan

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Wonderful time! Valentine's Day weekend, so it was really really busy, but staff made us feel like we were the only ones there! Kudos to Brittany, Michael, Blake and Scott who made it extra special! And the breakfasts at the Villa were wonderful!!! The cellar tour was very fun and informative--enjoyed hearing about how the wine is made and the process.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott S, General Manager at The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are really pleased you enjoyed the Valentine's weekend with us and had a chance to experience so many of the great things we have here at Messina Hof. Our Villa breakfasts are truly amazing and the once a week cellar tour on Saturday's can be so much fun and informative on the entire winemaking process.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. We look forward to having you back very soon.

Cordially,

Scott Sloan
Messina Hof Winery & Resort

Reviewed 23 August 2013

While B&Bs aren't really our thing, there was nothing to complain about - nice accommodations, and great hospitality. The breakfast was ok, but the real benefit is the included benefits - the free winery tour and tasting ($10 pp value) and the wine and cheese tasting at the wine bar. That tasting includes 2 glasses of wine and a spread of 3 cheeses, crackers, and bread - those glasses can be any wine, so you may as well go for the Paulo line - $18 per glass. That makes those benefits worth $70+ - which is almost half of the room rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My stay here was mid-April. The grounds were not well tended to yet. I'm a gardener and I know our weather in Texas has been unusual but the flower beds were not weeded out, mulch was not refreshed yet and there were not any new flowers put down that could have tolerated the mild Texas weather. For the price of the rooms, the grounds in cosmetically should have been much better. I was surprised to find that their tasting room was quite small for the every day crowd that pours in around 5pm. The wait for a glass of wine or flight with a platter of cheese and fruit was lengthy whether or not there was a crowd. The gift shop was okay but I didn't see anything there prices reasonably enough to take home with me. I didn't try the restaurant food since the complimentary wine and cheese was so filling I just didn't have the room for dinner. I wasn't able to take the wine tour due to schedule conflicts. There is a walking trail you can follow for a short distance to see some of the vineyard. There is a patio that overlooks a nice large pond with a fountain in the middle. Tons of turtles quickly migrated to where I was standing expecting some nibbles to be thrown out their way. I was surprised to see that portions of the parking grounds were not paved but had small pebble surface to drive on. The room I stayed in was certainly clean, but the decor of the room was not extraordinary. I will say I believe I had the best room for quietness, view and sound of the water outside the patio doors that I fell asleep to each night. The Messina room is located at the top of the stairs, back of the building and facing away from the the sunrise each morning and beautifully filtering the sunset each night thru the trees and their rustling leaves. It was a king bed and had a very large tub. I wouldn't say you need to take your toiletries except for a toothbrush and toothpaste. They provided thick soap wafers and even an herbal bath soak along with a hair dryer. The linens were clean and towels were of hotel quality. There is free bottled water (2) provided in the fridge each morning. The bed was medium firm and sleep quality was okay but not extraordinary. There is a ceiling fan in the room and the cooling was good. You can hear noise coming from the entry way down stairs and the breakfast tables. Their breakfast was nothing to look forward to. The first day I was there it was creamcheese filled crepes and fruit- the second morning was pancakes and cereal. I was extremely disappointed in their breakfast menu items. I asked if they could make me eggs instead of pancakes and the wait staff refused, saying they did not have any eggs (nevermind that they have a restaurant on the grounds 100 feet away). I did try their chocolate covered strawberries and they were the absolute best I have ever tasted. I'm not a fan of choc strawberries because the chocolate just never compliments the fruit but these were divine! I would def suggest trying them and splurge and indulge on this one thing! There were also 2 grape shaped chocolate truffles in the room each day. I drove to the Bush Library and Museum about 7 miles into town. It was a very interesting visit. I highly recommend at least one time if you are looking for a 2 to 3 hour window to fill. From there I drove into "Historic Downtown Bryan" only to be disappointed. Don't expect to go there and find shops galore. There were only a few boutiques and a cafe or 2. The drive back to Messina from downtown was maybe 10 minutes or so. Over all, the experience at Messina Hof was new and enjoyable combined with a short drive from Houston where I live. I would go back for another night or two's stay but only for the quick getaway and probably more during the time that they have found the time and the money to manicure and refresh their landscape since that is a big part of my overall experience for me personally. I'm sure a couple will have a nice, romantic time there as long as their primary goal is to get away alone and to a place that isn't too crowded and bustling.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mercedesmomma68
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We live this place. Great hospitality and food hidden in this central Texas region. Surrounded by vineyards, its near some fine dining in College station as well. The rooms are exquisite and the gardens fragrant and beautiful. We love it when the owner visits with us at the restaurant. The soup is not to be missed at the restaurant... Even if you're not a soup lover. One if the top restaurants in Texas as well.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Yodatravel
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Romantic, relaxing beautiful rooms. We stayed in the Venus room and it was quite lovely. Splurged in the romance package and was treated to rose petals on the floor and bed, a vase of red roses, dark chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of our favorite wine! We kicked off the stay with the couples massage in our room...Dolly was amazing!

There is many themed items in the room, but it works and doesn't seem cluttered. Bathroom looks to be recently redone, nice shower and big soaking tub. Messina Hof provides lovely smelling bath products and they are nice treat, the bath salts smell amazing! Rooms have tv and cable, mini fridge in the closet, iron and board, and coffee makers.

Staff at Messina Hof are a really rare breed, they are extremely helpful and friendly and really help to set the B&B apart from any competition! The morning breakfast is excellent! Fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, cereal and milk....to start, then they give you a generous sized portion of a hot breakfast. Very yummy way to start your day! Rich coffee and usually muffins and or scones!

This was a fantastic splurge and we really enjoyed all aspects of the winery!

Winery tour was fantastic, Texas wine has quite a lot to offer...everyone should go and taste them, and possible stay a night or two too. Everyone is extremely friendly, and we even watched the staff filling the blue Angel Riesling...which is delicious! To watch the owner work and help the bottling process was indeed a rare treat!

The wine bar was a nice simple lunch selection with great views of the Villa and pond. One can easily enjoy a glass or two of wine in this atmosphere.

We hope to return soon!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raza88
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have wanted to stay here since I was a college student down the road. 90% of the experience was fantastic! We stayed in D'Artangan - aside from the decor being more Spanish than French, it was a fun theme. LOVED the crystal ship chandelier! However, the carpet and paint are both past their prime and the bed spread was nasty. The sheets and everything else was very clean. I even took a bath in the fabulous giant tub & I never feel comfortable sitting in a hotel tub! The patio was perfect for watching the sun set and enjoying the complimentary wine & cheese each evening. Tip: they will make it to go for you if you are staying in The Villa. All the people we met were wonderful. The tour was fun & informative. We even got to watch them bottle some wine the morning we left. The king size bed was really two twins, not a problem for sleeping, but... The owners are around a lot when they are in town and extremely welcoming, informative and entertaining! One night, Paul was waiting by the car for his wife to go somewhere. When he saw her quips, "There's my better Hof." He's pretty much "on" all the time. Great place for romantic getaway or a small reunion of some kind. No kids allowed unless you rent out the entire Villa. They have lots of fun dinners and events, so check out the web cite when you are booking to get reservations.

Room Tip: Read the bed and amenities carefully for the available rooms. They vary in size and what kind of vie...