We came here for the cellar wine tour and to eat at the restaurant afterwards for our anniversary. We did not stay in a room. The grounds this time of year are awful. Everything looks dead and they don't seem to maintain it. We took a walk around the pond and there were dead trees fallen and dead underbrush that hadn't been cleared. It was a bit of a "Grey Gardens" kind of feel. Wish it was summer so things would have been blooming, but you can't help when your anniversary is. The tour was interesting...could have done without all the Aggie "whooping" by the tour guide tho. We tasted 5 wines and all but one was awful. To be fair, we aren't wine connoisseurs, so...yeah. Others in the group seemed to enjoy them. We were looking forward to dinner, as we have heard great things about the food. We walked in and were shocked by this huge, open room...not the intimate setting that it shows in their picture. In the middle of this enormous room sat a huge table of 20-25 college students who had arrived on a bus TWO HOURS late for their reservation. Evelio, the gentleman who greeted us, immediately said they were late for their reservation and were supposed to be gone by the time our reservation started which was 8:00. They had just arrived at 7:30 and were already three sheets to the wind when we arrived. We should have left then, had we known what was to occur. But, we tried to make the best of it and we were starving. Evelio was also our waiter (and, as it turns out, the manager for that night). We ordered our food and ate the wonderful bread and seasoned olive oil that accompanied it. The party of students began to get louder and louder, which was in direct proportion to the amount of wine they were consuming, some were practically yelling. "F" bombs were being thrown, amongst other flowery, inappropriate words...we'd had enough. I was waffling between tears and anger and frustration. I asked Evelio to please tell them to cut it out. He did tell them to keep it down and watch their language...which lasted all of two minutes. Our meal came which I have mixed feelings about. The filet was amazing and melted in my mouth. The vegetables were delicious and cooked perfectly...all two baby carrots and 5 green beans. The mashed potatoes, however, had the texture and taste of a boxed potato. Not good. For the price, the amount of food was laughable. But, that's "fine dining" for you. I think the most disappointing thing was that, after all we had to endure, Evelio never once offered to accommodate us...comp our dessert, take a portion off the bill. Nothing!! He knew it was our anniversary, too and he knew how upset we were. The staff, as a whole are very nice. However, our waiter was constantly being pulled to do the flambé desserts. So, we spent a lot of time waiting and listening to the idiots hooping and hollering. We will never come back here again. Our anniversary was ruined and nothing was done to make it right. VERY DISAPPOINTED!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Texas wine country! Nestled in the heart of Texas, and just minutes away from the Texas A&M campus, The Villa at Messina Hof Winery & Resort hosts 10 beautifully appointed rooms richly decorated with timeless antiques and furnishings from different romantic eras. Included with your stay is a winery tour and tasting, evening wine and cheese reception in the Wine Bar and a delicious European-style champagne breakfast. Experience the romance and the passion of the vineyards, and create some of your own. Come to Messina Hof and join the family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your The Villa Bed and Breakfast at Messina Hof reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Villa At Messina Hof Hotel Bryan
- Hotel At Messina Hof
- The Villa Bed And Breakfast At Messina Hof Bryan, Texas