Review of Pitt Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Cafe
Lafayette, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The staff was wonderful and we were promptly seated. Only then did we notice the ashtrays everywhere and the heavy cloud in the air. We apologized the the servers and left. While catching a sandwich across the street, our server indicated that the Pitt Grill was the hangout for all the old timers and that's what they did all day, sat in there in and smoked. I love out of the way restaurants and quirky small town atmosphere, but I want to be able to breathe when I eat. Ironically, in my home state of Louisiana, which has one of the highest smoking rates in the country, puffing, has been largely relegated to casinos and bars, so this was a surprise. Again, the employees were great, but if you don't want Marlboros with your waffles, find somewhere else.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank jupiterchild1

Lafayette, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The staff was wonderful and we were promptly seated. Only then did we see ash trays everywhere and a cloud of smoke in the air. We apologized to the server and left. We ended up getting a Subway sandwich across the street and our server indicated the Pitt Grill was the hang out for all the old timers and that's what they did all day, sat in there and smoked. I love out of the way restaurants and quirky small town atmosphere, but I couldn't breathe in their air, much less eat. Ironically, in my home state of Louisiana, with one of the highest smoking rates in the US, it is pretty well restricted to bars and casinos, so this was a surprise. Again. great employees, but if you can't stand Marlboro with your waffles, stay out.

Visited May 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Just what I hoped it would be...”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I left Huntsville early in the morning headed to Dallas. I didn't want breakfast at a McD's or Bucee's... I wanted some "small town local diner" along the way. This was all I had hoped it would be. A greasy spoon, local characters, waitresses that were cheerful, charming and nearly good at their jobs. The food? Nothing special, and yet that's what MADE it special! It reminded me of the joint my Dad used to take me to back in the 60's, and that's all it took to make me fall in love with this little place. Get the pecan waffles, get bacon instead of sausage, and don't get too excited about the eggs. DO enjoy a small town joint doing its best to take care of highway road warriors who just want a bite to eat. (Note: They DO allow smoking at the tables. Get over it. It's the way it USED TO BE everywhere. Nostalgia is what this is all about...)

• Visited March 2013