“nice place for a lame visit”

Holiday Inn Express Canyon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
“nice place for a lame visit”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is very clean place located near the west texas state university campus. Clean rooms and safe parking. You can walk on the campus nearby for exercise if the wind is not blowing 500 MPH!!!! No complaints about this motel but the town is dead and dry as they get. Don't plan on any social hour anywhere for 20 miles.

Room Tip: This is a dry city so no drinks for visitors.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was my fourth time to stay at this hotel, and I have been happy every time. It is right around the corner from WTAMU. The front desk staff are nice and helpful, the hotel is clean and quiet. The rooms are large, and there is free wi-fi. The air conditioners in the rooms work great! The parking lot is on the small side, and the elevator is small and loud, but we've never had a problem with it. I've only gone down to the free breakfast once, it was a typical continental breakfast, not the greatest food, but they did have cereal and it will hold you over until lunch. Canyon is a small town, but Amarillo is only a 15 minute drive away if you need a mall or restaurant. Pizza places will deliver to the hotel, and once we ordered from the restaurant next door and they delivered to the hotel, but I'm not sure if they still do. If you go to Canyon in the summer, be sure to see the show TEXAS in Palo Duro Canyon. Very entertaining! We will stay at the Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We stayed here for one night on the first floor. The hotel was very average, but conveniently located to The Palo Duro Canyon. The walls were very thin and the floor above us squeaked! This made for a disturbing sleep. Breakfast was decent and served its purpose. The shower had very poor drain and shower head probably should be updated to conserve water.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are loud!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Gkwigs,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I wanted to give this hotel 3 1/2 stars but there wasn't an option. I would say it's between "good" and "very good." The hotel is dated but clean. The carpet is what makes it look so dated. As others have stated, the elevator was pretty scary. I have never heard anything like it in my life. We took the stairs when we could to avoid it. Our two bedroom suite was nice and clean and had three TVs! We didn't have much chance to watch TV but wow, that was nice. The beds were very comfortable. Our air conditioner didn't work very well, though. It worked in the living room area but not the bedroom. There were two showers which I didn't expect, but it was almost comical because the showers my kids used had a blinking light that reminded us of being in the middle of a horror show. I literally had to close my eyes when I was in there so I wouldn't get dizzy. I am sure they would have fixed it if I had called but I didn't bother.
Breakfast was okay but not as good as I've had at other hotels. Still, a nice option.
All in all, we would stay here again. It's right down the street from the Panhandle Plains Museum and not far from the canyon. It is the closest hotel without staying in the park itself, but it is not as close to the canyon as we hoped and thought. It's not exactly a hop, skip and a jump.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
South Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Conveniently located in town. Bedding was comfortable. Rooms are quiet and good isolation from noise. Doors close quietly but securely.

Not a lot of food options nearby. Between the holidayinn and the alternative (a best western which is immediately adjacent) there is a restaurant called thundering bufflao. It is the only place in town that serves alcohol. Margaritas are good - food items were traditional bar/pub fare

The inconveniences part.
Regarding the noisy elevator (the previous contributor mentioned) - yes its still noisy. And the inspection certificate expired on may9-2013 (i stayed there in early june).

The wireless pw they gave me upon arrival did not work. They desk gave me another and it worked ok until the following morning. But then it indicated it was invalid (not too much of an issue since i had a wireless hotspot on my phone via pdanet). But I did mention to the front desk, and they said the pw changes each tues morn. The individual at the desk did provide an updated one, but it didnt work initially either and required another.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear JimmyBtx,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Also, thanks for pointing out the convenience of our location.

I am truly sorry for the discomforts you had with the noise from the elevator. Additionally, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience our WiFi service has caused you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Dhan M
IHG Care
Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here one night before going to see a show over at Palo Duro Canyon. From the other reviews I expected a nice Holiday Inn Express. First thing I noticed when we walked in was that the hotel was dingy looking. The front desk person was not very helpful. We then headed to our room and the walls and the floors near the elevator were dirty and the elevator sounded like it was about to fall apart! It was a bit scary! I have never heard an elevator sound so bad. The carpet in the elevator looked really dirty. The halls were warm and again did not look or smell inviting. Our room however did appear clean. The bed was fine. The AC worked well and the internet was good. Even with this, I would not stay here again as I just was really surprised how bad everything else appeared.

Room Tip: One where you don't have to use the elevator!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear dsg560,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests and for that note please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Krysllin G.
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

I specifically chose this hotel bases upon the EXCELLENT service I got when I booked the room, arrived to the hotel, and stayed for a few days. I was excited about coming back and receiving the same wonderful service only to be highly disappointed that the overall service was nowhere NEAR what I experienced before. There was no hot water the 1st night, but I thought maybe it was because they were doing a significant amount of laundry and didnt complain, but did ask for an extra chamomile tea bag for my room and was told by the front desk that there was none. Night 2 STILL without hot water I called the front desk only to be put on hold for so long I had to hang up and wait for the line to be free. When I told the girl there was no hot water she told me that no one else had any complaint --- so I asked her "well do I news to move hotels or arrested you going to give me another room?!" And with a "I could care less" tone informs me that it doesn't matter to her what I do... since we were in the middle of dressing for an event we were heading to (hence the need to shower with hot water), we chose to take a room that she said "its all we have left. This was the same person who told me that there were no rooms available when I had asked if I could make a reservation for an extra night, yet when I hung up and went online to make a reservation for a extra night, there were plenty of rooms available INCLUDING a king suite with a whirlpool tub, per the room description.
There's just NO sense of "yes, we want you to come back again! " this go around.
We have to come back here in June---- I will look for another hotel to stay in.
Very sad... if this is the way HI has become towards their Priority member guests, or ANY quest, it's time for me to choose another hotel for my trips both business ad personal.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Sam R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Sam R,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincerest apology for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the service you received which affected your stay negatively. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
BEST WESTERN Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South
Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo
Home2 Suites By Hilton Amarillo
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#5 of 73 in Amarillo
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canyon? Share your experiences!