“Superb location!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
Dallas, TX
“Superb location!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Being adjacent to the university and a straight 12-mile shot from Palo Duro Canyon benefits both the guest and Holiday Inn Express Canyon. In addition, the world-class Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum is just down the street, something that justifies another night's stay in our opinion.

Go elsewhere for a "hotel experience." The hotel enjoys its location and resulting high demand, "very" high demand according to the hotel staff and what my wife and I saw. During our stay, the numerous turnaways from walk-ins and last-minute callers were continuous. We felt smart to have reserved a space well in advance to get under that roof.

I've already spoken of three things that drive the elevated price: university, museum, canyon. As a hotel experience, however, we thought Holiday Express Canyon was overpriced compared to other locations using this brand. Minor touches could have made a difference, and we think they matter. "The art is in the details." Pull the weeds around the entryway, wipe the breakfast tables when customers leave, and install vent fans in the bathrooms. ABOVE ALL improve the weak, painfully slow wireless connection. (In 2014, practically on a university campus? S'up with that?)

Breakfast was very crowded, understaffed, and poorly presented for crowd control. The very nice lady managing the breakfast all by herself was friendly in the craziness while working nonstop. There were too many people for the space, and the space itself was very poorly managed with almost everything on the buffet crowded into an overcrowded corner. Spread it out! (This is something we have experienced at other corporate hotels.)

The wonderful staff is why we give this place a Very Good rating. It has good reason to be stellar, we think, but it doesn't have to be because the business is there, in spades.

Get a reservation - and help the sincere staff not have to explain continually why you cannot get in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lalo_de_Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights while visiting Palo Duro Canyon. All staff were very friendly, room was nice, I recommend Holiday Inn Express Canyon if you visit this area. Full breakfast was just OK taste.
We didn't have a chance to enjoy the swimming pool, but it looked nice with jacuzzi.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimicalarcon
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The manager, Angel Torres, was disrespectful and rude. When I went to check in he did not have the room I had reserved, with 2 doubles. I had four people with me so this was important. He said this was all he had and could make no substitutions. When I stated that I had booked over a month in advance to get this room he replied that he would cancel the room and not charge me for the night. How generous! No effort to apologize or offer any compensation. When I asked if he had any rooms with 2 beds he said they were reserved for other guests. When I stated that I also had a room with 2 beds reserved he told me I had NO ROOM and he was calling the police if I did not leave. I told him I had no other reservations and did not intend to leave. He then gave me the "wrong' room and we checked in reluctantly. I was with my guests and they all commented they had never seen anything like this. I have been a business traveler for over 20 years and neither had I ever been treated so rudely. Plus I was staying on points which shows that I have been a loyal guest over the years. He later apologized to my wife for his behavior and said he hoped I was not too upset. Not even enough integrity to say it to my face. I sent this email to Holiday Inn and the hotel with absolutely no response,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Siena74
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Canyon, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Siena74,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. Please accept our apologies for the issues you had with your room reservation and the service you encountered did not live up to your expectations. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnsboro, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were traveling as a family with my dad, sister, niece and my daughter, so we had reserved a 2 bedroom suite with a sofa bed. There was a king size bed and a queen size bed.. It was perfect for us. Close to the canyon and about the price for two rooms. Great breakfast and coffee downstairs most of the day. Just down the street from the Panhandle Plains museum, located on the college campus. It was a mild day for Texas in July but the AC worked great and had separate controls for each room. I like a soft bed and the queen size bed was pretty firm, but I didn't check the King size bed. Overall, a great stay!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the elevator are pretty noisy, so pick one on the ends.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Atlanta, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I decided to ride to Canyon, Texas to see the Palo Dura Canyon. We didn't reserve a room in advance and were lucky to find this nice hotel. Check-in was good. The room was very clean and comfortable. Loved the shower head and the soft bed! Breakfast was good too! Definitely recommend this hotel and will stay again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lulu60_12
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stopped for two nights and had an outstanding stay. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was amazingly friendly. They had a nice pool that entertained my older children and they are extremely pet friendly. It is walking distance to the Prairie Plains Museum, as well as several eating establishments. I will definitely stay here again should my travels take me back to the Canyon area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ryan H
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Got into this hotel after stopping at another Holiday Inn Express in Amarillo after a long drive. It was about 12 AM. The first hotel did not have any vacancies for one night, so she called this one and they said they had one for one night. We drove over and got in right away.

The hotel was nice and the room was very clean and comfortable. We slept well and got up and had breakfast. The staff was very friendly, the hotel was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deborah D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
Best Western Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South
Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo
Sleep Inn & Suites West Medical Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Canyon? Share your experiences!