“great overview” 5 of 5 bubbles

Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum Admission
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Canyon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dubbed the largest history museum in Texas, visitors are wowed by the more than three million artifacts pertaining to the vivid past of the Panhandle region. Exhibits explore subjects such as Western heritage, paleontology and fine arts.
Temecula, California
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“great overview”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We liked the variety of exhibits from autos, indians, oil drilling, weapons, and prehistoric skeletons. I think we managed in about 2 hours to see a good selection of the entire museum.

Visited June 2014

Abilene, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Neat place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

After looking at the huge hole in the ground we decided to check out the town and found this place. It was pretty fun seeing the old things and learning the history of the area.

Visited July 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm not a museum person, but my husband is so we went. I found this very interesting; it held my interest throughout. Nice selection of female fashion of various eras. Lots to see and fun to walk around this art deco building.

Visited May 2014
Quebec City, Canada
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 261 helpful votes
“very good museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was traveling through and I wanted to know more about the history of the Texas Panhandle. I really made of good choice by choosing this museum, that's for sure! The museum is very large. I could not stay long enough unfortunately as my husband who doesn't like museums was with me (we came all the way by car from Canada)... I really liked the Pioneer Town, it was really awesome. As I was travelling all the way from Canada, it was interesting for me to know what crops grow here and what people are living from (agriculture, oil, etc.). They also showed the different people that lived in the area first (American Indian, people of Spanish origin coming from New Mexico, Americans etc.) The only thing I was a bit disappointed about is that they didn't say a thing about the droughts that affect the area and how the people (especially farmers) deal with it. They showed a video about how farmers have been living for the past century but not a word about droughts. I would suggest to add something about it.

There was a nice souvenir store. We found the museum really hard to find. There are good signs on the road but it is very easy not to see the museum as it is part of the university.

Visited May 2014
Bluff Dale, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Museum Must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This museum has a bit of everything, It is so well displayed, you can spend hours
wandering around. The volunteers were very helpful and friendly. We will definitely
be back.