“Sushi”

The King and I
Ranked #23 of 50 Restaurants in Canyon
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Thai
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Great sushi and their Thai food is awesome. Great atmosphere. The service is terrific and you can't beat the prices.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The King and I, is a restaurant I've driven by, wondered about, but never stopped to eat at. I was always leery of the restaurants exterior, and its offbeat location by the tracks.
A few glowing reviews from our Amarillo friends, convinced my husband and I, to try it.
We parked between a Porsche and an Escalade, at 8 pm on a Friday night, hmmm...
Walking in, the subtly lit interior, white tablecloths, wine glasses, and real flowers at each table, I felt romance oozing out of this place. Not to mention, BYOB!
I'm loving this vibe, but the real test is food.
The Spring Rolls were fresh and crunchy, and the Peanut Sauce was divine. I sucked up every last bit of it. Of course, according to Urban Spoon, we had to order the Rock 'n Roll and Pad Thai with chicken, and yes, they did live up to the reviews and pics.
Pretty darn good for West Texas, baby.
However, we have to order Sushi, it's mandatory. I'm scared, but I have to know.
Well, Nobu it's not, but excellent it is.
Sashimi Tuna, Salmon, and Hamachi are wonderful. Pile lots of ginger on my plate and wasabi in my soy, and I'm a happy girl. Sorry Amarillo, you can't beat this raw fish with a chop stick!
I'm literally hooked. Give the "King and I" a whirl, its that good!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

This place is pricey but I think it has the best sushi in the area.

Tonight we had a group and ordered the sushi for four. There was enough sushi to feed six or seven adults. The meal comes with an appetizer and it is tempura. I had never had asparagus or carrot like that but it was quite good.

Our server was attentive and we never lacked for anything. She also had a large table she was taking care of. I know some of the reviews have commented on slow service but there were only two servers tonight and they were holding their own with the crowd.

I will say that this is the strangest place to put a restaurant. But don't let that put you off.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

We eat here often since we live in Amarillo. Lots of our friends drive to Canyon to eat here. The staff is very friendly and they have great yellow curry. They also have tofu as an option, which I love. It is a BYOB establishment that is clean and economical. They also serve sushi, which my husband loves.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We *used* to like this restaurant, but after tonight, we will NEVER go back. We had to wait 20 minutes at our table to even place our order. We were about to give up and leave. The food was good, but when we went to pay, we were told they no longer accept the Groupon we bought, even though it says it "will never expire." What a terrible way to end the evening.

Been to The King and I? Share your experiences!