“I CANNOT recommend the Buffalo Inn again”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Buffalo Inn

Buffalo Inn
Buffalo Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
McKinney, Texas
“I CANNOT recommend the Buffalo Inn again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have always been a firm supporter of the Buffalo Inn. We have stayed there mulitple times. However, after this weekend, we will not be staying there again. We had requested a softer mattress, theirs tend to be very firm. They were not able to accomodate us the first night. We asked Sat. morning if there would be something softer available for Sat. night. They discussed it in front of us, (not in English) , the end result was they couldn't be bothered, and we were welcome to go somewhere else. To top it off one of reasons that we liked to stay there was the unique showers, dating from the time the motel was built. These have been replaced by standard tub and shower surrounds. Our room had an unused feel to it and all in all we were sadly disappointed .
On the up side our daughter's room was one of the more used rooms and she had a softer mattress.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2008

This is a wonderful little motor inn. Quaint and charming. I walked to the town square, restaurants, the grocery store and the Pan Handle Plains Museum. It's very retro, like stepping back in time to the 60s, yet it had microwave, refrigerator, cable TV and wireless internet.

I will stay here again.

• Liked — It's 60's feel. Like getting out of the rat race.
  • Disliked — No pets allowed. My little poodle who travels with me all the time didn't get to come.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
fort worth, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

First let me start off by saying that i RARELY will stay in a hotel that is not a chain. (i.e. hilton, comfort, etc.) We were headed up to Canyon for the weekend to hike in the Canyon out at the state park, and the Best western AND the Holiday inn express were both booked! Our only option was the buffalo inn, an old motor court motel. I was apprehensive, to say the least....but what a surprise we were in for! It was a cute as a button! Spotlessly maintained grounds with flowers - right across the street from the university. The room was as clean as any chain hotel i've ever stayed in, and it was so cozy! Just like stepping back in the 70's! For $60 a night, it was fine. Mind you, don't go expecting the hilton or any amentities so to speak, but if you need a clean, cozy room while in Canyon and don't want to break the bank, this is the place! I will try to post photos soon.

• Liked — cozy rooms
  • Disliked — mattress was on the hard side...
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank bryant&henry
Meridian, MS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2007

We stayed here for the first night of a family reunion a few years ago. My aunt uncle and cousins arrived at about 4 am from a 20 hour drive. My grandparents had already checked them in and left the keys under a welcome mat. They promply went in. At fifteen til 11 the office called to ask if they were planning on leaving by 11 or if they would need to charge an extra day for late check out.

Also, the entire room was just disgusting. There were four people in my room so my step sister and I had to sleep on the floor. It was gross. We wouldnt have minded sleeping there if it hadn't been for the fact that the carpet was stained and smelled horrific.

Stayed July 2006
DFW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2006

This was a great location - close to Palo Duro and Amarillo but located in the center of Canyon, Tx and near all amenities. The people at the checkin counter were very nice and helpful. The place is definitely dated and looks like it came right out of the 60's or 70's. Dark paneling and shag carpet are what you'll find here which just added to the fun ambience. If you're travelling route 66 and making a detour to Palo Duro, this would be a good place to stop. Had a microwave, refrigerator, & cable...what more does anyone need? I stayed here for 3 nights and found it very relaxing. The owners put flowers outside on the sidewalk to give it a more homey feel and everything was kept clean. Good price for what you get.

• Liked — Good deal for the money.
  • Disliked — Dated decor.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Dragynlady
Plano, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2005

I was looking for an inexpensive, clean room with a comfortable bed and pillows. That is exactly what we found, and not much more. The room was $42 +tax for 2 people in a king bed. The fixtures and furnishings were all mismatched, but I didn't say I wanted a well decorated room. It was very fresh with clean paint, floors, and carpet.
I would have preferred having a window open but the one small window had been painted shut. The air conditioner worked but it was loud.
It was easy to find, convenient to restaurants, and across the street from the university. There was traffic noise.
If I was going to stay longer than 1 short night, I would probably choose something different, but for a short time, I found it acceptable.

6 Thank Maryjw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
BEST WESTERN Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites
Amarillo Inn & Suites
Amarillo Inn & Suites
#26 of 73 in Amarillo
Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo

Been to Buffalo Inn? Share your experiences!