“Stay Away!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Canyon
Trophy Club, TX
“Stay Away!”
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I had booked this hotel as a stopping point on my way from Dallas, Texas to Red River, NM...about a 12 hour drive total. On the way to Canyon from Dallas, the weather turned bad and we were forced to stop in another town where we stayed in another Best Western. I called ahead beginning at 8:30pm to let them know that we would not be able to make it due to the weather. They could not take my call at that time because they had a line in front of the desk, and told me to call back in 30 minutes. I called back, and they could not take my call again. This cycle continued until 12:30am.

The next day, I found that my credit card was charged for the entire amount of my stay. When I called to speak to the manager, he told me that they were unable to rent out the room and that was why I had been charged. When I questioned why they had not been able to rent out the room when they had a line in front of the desk waiting to be checked in for four hours straight, I was informed that those were people that already had a reservation that were checking in. I'm not sure about anyone else, but that seems pretty fishy. So, if you want to avoid rude management, stay away from this hotel.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CWoodard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
san angelo
Reviewed 25 August 2008

One of the worst motel experiences I have had to date.Our reservation was changed by someone else and we were charged as a no show. The owner was unwilling to admit that a mistake had been made. He caused us to wait at the desk for a long time and then told his staff by phone that nothing could, would be done. There was another couple there at the same time, with the same last name and the mistake was obvious to all, except the property owner. I don't hae much of an occasion to travel to Canyon on a regular basis, but if the trip were to happen I would not consider staying on this particular property. Remeber, if you make reservations with the propery directly, you have no recourse should a problem arise.

• Disliked — management attitude
Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SanAngeloBobby
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2008

We had hoped to stay the night in Lubbock, but the Texas FFA (Texas Future Farmers' Association) were in town and there wasn't a bed to be had. So, we drove on to Canyon, (which was where we had planned to stay the next night anyway) and arrived at this motel well after 10pm. The only available room was the 'handicap' suite, so we took that for the first night and were allowed to change to a different room for our second night. Incidentally, I often wonder why they don't make the 2nd and 3rd nights cheaper given that the bed linen probably isn't changed every day).
We were very happy with this Inn. the CB was adequate - again I wonder why motels seem to think thay have to provide b'fast when there are so many b'fast places all over the US.
We hiked in Palo Duro Canyon in heat(!), but it was a great experience. We could have done with more accurate trail maps, as we tried to do a round trip, failed to find the link-up road as the map we had wasn't accurate enough and subsequently we ended up doing the whole trail almost twice over. No complaints though about the fantastic scenery.
We cannot recommend highly enough the Texas show and the dinner beforehand. What an excellent value evening and such fun! It needs to be better known!

• Liked — Its proximity to Palo Duro Canyon
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Balmain
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We are a family of 5 that was staying next door the week before at the Holiday Inn Express. There was a bed number issue there so I made arrangements to stay at the Best Western on the way back. It was new, but I found 3 bugs (one on the counter as I was checking in) within the first hour I arrived. The staff was friendly but not as professional as Holiday Inn Express. The great thing is we arrived late and were able to let the kids swim in the pool. It closes at 11pm (Holiday Inn Express @ 10) but the lady up front said if we were swimming, she'd keep it open a while. That was nice. She also pleasantly gave me extra towels and bedding. However, don't book the suite on the end that's handicapped. We were right next to the stairs and people were up and down all night long & it was so loud. The breakfast was not impressive. The hot water was not hot.

• Liked — pool hours
  • Disliked — being next to the stairs
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank patticakesTemple_TX
Ft. Worth, TX 76109
Reviewed 28 November 2006

Stayed four days. Will not stay again. For a one-year old hotel, this is not up to snuff, and not what I expect from a Best Western. Room was big. Everything else was cheapy, cheapy, as if they were trying to cut every corner. Mattress was not firm. Coffee was terrible, as if they bought the cheapest they could find. Spa wasn't working-water was tepid. Toilet paper (yes, I can't believe I'm complaining about the toilet paper) was unlike any I've ever encountered in a hotel. It was like the stratchy stuff you get in Europe. They put out two bananas at breakfast-for the entire breakfast for everyone. No newspapers. It may seem that I'm being petty, but at $98.00 a night in Canyon, Texas (population must be 400 people tops), that's a lot of money.

• Liked — Room was big
  • Disliked — Amenities were not up to speed.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pcintx
Uden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 November 2005

Brand New Hotel close to Palo Duro Canyon (as expected!) Paint smell will disappear (I hope).
Large rooms at $ 89,-- (tax incl with AAA disc.)
and a well hidden elevator. Large indoor pool.
Friendly staff with some starting problems. Ample parking and quiet location adjacent to grocery.
Good Thai restaurant in town (Canyon).
Cont. br. included but very basic.

• Stayed September 2005
7 Thank Tet13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canyon
Comfort Suites South -- Amarillo
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#5 of 73 in Amarillo
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Amarillo South
Drury Inn & Suites Amarillo
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Amarillo West
Home2 Suites By Hilton Amarillo

Been to Best Western Palo Duro Canyon Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!