“Not very exciting”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Russian Banya Spa

Russian Banya Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: About the Russian Banya of Dallas An old Russian custom and, from medieval times, a national institution, the banya has been around for more than a thousand years, with only on in Texas: ours. The heart of our establishment is our banya, which is the only such facility open to the public in the United States that is heated ( up to 220°F and 60% humidity) by a wood-burning stove. The Russian Banya of Dallas also offers guests a dry Finnish sauna (heated up to 180°F 10% humidity) that provides a milder heat. In addition we offer a Turkish steam room (heated to 110°F, with 100% humidity) that makes use of soothing moisture to heat the body evenly. Lastly, we offer a cold plunge, which, at 40-42°, is a substitute for the snow bath (or “dip”) in a frozen river that traditionally concludes a banya session— a thoroughly invigorating part of the cleansing process that is not to be missed. All of our saunas are co-ed, as is our lounge area, which seats up to 60 people. To learn more about the Russian Banya of Dallas as well as Restaurant Volga, its sister restaurant, visit our website.
Bratislava, Slovakia
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“Not very exciting”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

The place is kind of an awkward combination of spa and restaurant. From the outside it is not very attractive, and when walking in it doesn't improve really. The place is kind of worn down, and looks more of a place for parties.

The service was OK. The whole staff and costumers were Russian. And the menu was in Russian with English translation. Not easy to get around, but at least some pictures to help know what we were ordering.

The food itself was not exciting. Basically everything is a variation of dumplings. It was homemade, no question, but I did not have the meal I expected.

The place is BYOB, which is fine, but the non alcoholic drinks available is very limited (coke, water, sprite and Russian kvass).

And to top it all off, the price was not cheap. We ended up having lunch 3 adults for $70, with no alcohol, and eating only appetizers. Not a place I'd return to.

Visited May 2014
Nikki T, Guest Relations Manager at Russian Banya Spa, responded to this review, 30 March 2016
We're so sorry that your experience wasn't very enjoyable. We wanted to let you know that Russian Banya is under new ownership, and we've made some big changes to our appearance and our customer service. Our banya area and restaurant have been cleaned and remodeled, and we want everyone who walks in to feel like family.

We make everything from scratch using fresh and healthy ingredients, and we would be glad to help you navigate the menu. Come see us again... you won't be disappointed!

Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Russian Banya - Nyet”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I wanted to give the Russian Banya a good review. I really wanted to enjoy my experience there. But this was not to be. I was in Dallas on a business trip and had an expired Groupon coupon now worth only $10. Perhaps my review is unfair because I was time limited and it was midweek, but I must review with my conscience. Nothing in this visit earned my positive nomination. I had budgeted four hours because I had another appointment 180 miles away at 5:30. So I arrived at 10am, the stated opening time on the web site. Although the opening time stated on the door also said 10 am, a well weathered sign hung on the door said they would open at noon. I wasted two hours and returned. I didn't eat at the adjoining Russian restaurant so cannot review this part of the experience. The spa area consisted of three saunas, reviewed elsewhere. The supposedly very hot Russian banya was cold because the wood fire was not yet started. The door to another sauna was blocked open and presumed out of order. The third was hot. A squirrelly little guy was building a fire in the furnace behind the banya and muttering in Russian. The resident masseur showed up to assure me that every thing would be working in five minutes while repeatedly trying to get me to have a massage. By about 1 pm, the fire was roaring in the furnace, but something was malfunctioning and the banya was filled with smoke. About 1:30, I threw in the towel and decided to leave. Before I left however, the banya cleared of smoke and I was able to get a bit of the heat. It was, however, not as hot as the sauna I use every day in my own health club. In my time there, I saw no one other than the crusty owner, the firebuilder who babbled in Russian, and the rather pleasant masseur who shared my space in the banya for a brief time. No other customers showed up. This was a cultural experience, but not in the way I had expected. I doubt I will return.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Robb R
We're so sorry you had a negative experience at our banya. We want to let you know that the Russian Banya is under new ownership, and we've made some big changes to our appearance and our customer service. Our banya area and restaurant have both been remodeled, and we can assure you that everything is in working order. Our business hours are listed on our website (www.russianbanyaofdallas.com) and we WILL remain open during these hours.

We want everyone who walks in to feel like family, so we hope you'll come see us again and give us another chance. We make everything from scratch using fresh and healthy ingredients, and we would be glad to help you navigate the menu. You won't be disappointed!
Dallas, Texas
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Excellent and bizarre...”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

So we read again about the Russian Banya, this time from Dallas Observer (the north Texas arts/music type magazine/newspaper) which had a list of the 50 most interesting restaurants in Dallas - Fort Worth. The "Russian Banya of Dallas" (which is actually in Carrollton) got number 41.

The article was more about the food than the banya/spa side but while I feel like I have a wide palate, I need to go back to adventure through the food side with someone that knows it better than I do. Their pelmini, samsa, and borscht all get good reviews but I don't have much of a clue when it comes to Russian cuisine.

So on to the spa side and the whole experience. One of my friends described it kind of like you are entering into a time warp and arriving in the movie Rounders. It is an all out Russian place. You basically are outside in suburbia and enter into a full on Russian world. Don't expect a suburban US feel or service. The people there including the main owner who is a character are all gruff, they open up and are fun, but they are not filled with the midwest or southern US niceties. It is not like a Dick's Last Resort or anything like that, it seems just like the cultural difference and truthfully is almost the reason to go in and of itself. Kind of feels like you are traveling internationally without leaving the burbs.

The spa has a wet heat room (Russian sauna), dry heat room (Finnish sauna), steam room (Turkish Hammam sauna) and cold plunge pool (crazy). Basically you go in the sauna, come out relax drink tea or water, go back in, repeat, all the while talking to your friends or the gruff but oddly friendly Russian folks, then if you are crazy you jump in the plunge pool and then return to hang out with your friends and drink the vodka you brought.

It is definitely a crazy place and an adventure but a really good and fun break from sterile suburbia.

Visited September 2013
Thank you for the honest and excellent review. We wanted to let you know that Russian Banya is under new ownership, and we've made some big changes to our appearance and our customer service. We want everyone who walks in to feel like family, so we hope you'll come see us again and try our food! We make everything from scratch using fresh and healthy ingredients, and we would be glad to help you navigate the menu. You won't be disappointed!
Keller TX
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The service is terrible!”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I honestly don't know about the food. We did not stay long enough to find out. Now I went there for the baths, not the food, but we were going to eat. We never ended up going in because the guy at the counter and the owner were so obnoxious and unhelpful in answering questions.

Victor T, Owner at Russian Banya Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Please note, this is about the Texas location, not our Mississauga location :( Same goes with the reviews below, most of which are excellent, but again, not about us.