“Beautiful room, quiet and peacful”

Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castroville
California
“Beautiful room, quiet and peacful”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The night before Valentine's Day, my fiance and I spent a night at Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort. It was such a stark contrast to the hotel we spent the night at only a couple nights before. It appeared that the rooms were recently renovated. They were large rooms, with enough space it reminded me of a master bedroom suite in a home. Each room had a private balcony or patio that looked out onto the valley below the hotel. The staff was kind and my fiance enjoyed a complimentary breakfast. The room and the bathroom shared the same tiled floor and the shower, as well. It was a very romantic stay. The only draw back was the bed was a queen size bed, but it squeaked each time we moved.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hula324

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Great place for wedding and out of town events. Large, very clean rooms with great views. Good food, spa services and great staff.
A friend booked the lawn and restaurant for her wedding vow renewal.
Near by village has lots to do of a historic nature and walking tours and several nice parks.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have better views, no lift however. Some truck noise from highway.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Reading Tripadvisor reviews gave us some idea of what to expect but some things,we didn't encounter. For example, the young man (with beard) at the desk was most pleasant, informative and helpful. His recommendations for eating and sightseeing were right on.. The room (216) was large, clean, had everything we needed and we loved that view from the balcony. Good bed and clean bedding. Decor was more Alsace than USA and, after all the stays in chains here, refreshing. Staff was wonderful! I use a cane and whenever I was carrying a suitcase up or down the steps one of the housekeeping or yard personnel would hurry over and offer to carry my bags.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far off the highway as possible. Hwy 90 is busy and somebody in TDOT decided to u...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lkitnice
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Alsace for New Year's Eve. We loved the view from our balcony, with morning light filling a valley of farms, villages and church steeples. We enjoyed watching San Antonio fireworks all along the horizon at midnight. Although we loved the view from our room, it was a little too close to the New Year's Eve party for our taste, being early to bed and early to rise folk. The room was clean, spacious, well lit and laid out, and we loved the french doors opening onto the balcony. The front desk staff were warm, friendly, and made us feel well cared for. We liked having the breakfast available early, and with a nice view of the pool and valley. I noticed the arbor by the edge of the cliff, and with the restaurant and spa, imagine that this would be a great place for a destination wedding. Though the restaurant was closed for a New Year's Eve party, Jenny at the front desk directed us to a great New Year's Eve dinner at the Old Alsatian Steakhouse and Ristorante, where we had a wonderful Alsatian Dinner in a restored 150 year old house. All in all, a good way to begin the new year!

Room Tip: Room 210 had a great view, which we enjoyed and would recommend for any other night of the year, but...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
New Braunfels, TX
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed at the Alsace as a little quiet get away for my husband's birthday, thanks to a great Groupon. I read the other reviews prior to our visit and wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by the overall experience. The hotel is quaint and looks pretty well kept, a lovely place to find in Castroville. The woman at our check-in was extremely friendly and helpful in making some recommendations. Our room was very clean and extremely spacious. I especially loved the fact that they have ceiling fans and a digital thermostat, both of which are major bonuses in my eyes. The private patio for each room is a nice touch and overlooks a lovely view. The only problem I had with the accommodations was the bed...very firm, which may be good for some but left me in quite a bit of pain. Although we didn't use it, the pool looked very nice and has a great view too. The restaurant was nice and the food was good. We were given a late check-out without even asking, which was a wonderful surprise! For the price, it was well worth it and definitely a step up from a chain motel/hotel. I would surely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, if possible.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The hotel itself is very average. The room decor is desperately trying to be trendy. The rooms are very spacious though and the beds were comfortable.

The bearded guy at the front desk had the personality of a wet mop. I had walked in with my female cousin and we were the only people in the breakfast area (which served a typical continental). I stepped away to use the facilites and when I came back my cousin was gone. I asked the bearded front desk agent if he had seen the girl I came in with. "What girl?", he replied. Now, had it been bustling in the lobby or an hour after we walked in, I could accept this comment. You mean to tell me you aren't aware of the guests walking in your lobby?

Later I asked him for a safety pin because the florist at my friend's wedding forgot to leave them. He responded with, "We usually don't deal with wedding stuff." Seriously? Usually boutique hotels are known for the perosnalized service you don't get at a chain hotel. This place had the guest focus of a morgue.

My friend complimented the Catering Manager on the property (she was being generous) and he was too busy texting on his phone to thank her.

On the plus side, the food that was served was excellent. I was surpised by the quality.

I so wanted to root for this property, as I know it is hard to compete against big chains when you are an idependant boutique hotel. The staff is the worst enemy of the hotel, with the exception of housekeeping, who greeted us daily with smiles and acknowledged us. They could teach a thing or two to the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: The rooms have really relaxing views. They are walk-up style with no interior corridors, sort of lik...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Josherrific
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I agree with the reviews that rated Hotel Alsace as a meh. The front desk was manned by a high schooler, who hardly said three words to me. Some welcome! I was given a first floor room with a lovely view of the road. The place was at least half empty so I don't know why a second floor room, or a room closer to the main building with a view wasn't available. The bed was nothing to speak of, certainly not luxury as advertised. The commode in the bathroom wobbled unceremoniously and needed a couple of flushes to do the job.

As for the restaurant, it was closed Tuesday through Thursday. I was there on Thursday. Wow.

Breakfast was very unimpressive with the waffle iron the only redeeming feature. The coffee was weak and lukewarm. the in-room coffeemaker made better coffee! Needless to say, I headed for the Alsatian Bakery for breakfast instead.

The $80 rate was about right for this motel. By the way, never saw hide not hair of the spa. It must have been closed like the restaurant!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank johoallen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castroville
Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham San Antonio by Seaworld
Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
#7 of 357 in San Antonio
Best Western Plus Lackland Hotel & Suites

Been to Hotel Alsace & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!