“Another great stay”

Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cedar Creek
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We had another fabulous stay here, the 4th in a year. We checked in the Saturday after Thanksgiving for less than half of what the rates were over the holiday. We found a great internet special that was offered for a very limited time and was non refundable. Saturday was $113 and Sunday and Monday were $83.40! Couldn't believe the price break. We had the place virtually to ourselves from Sunday through Tuesday. They literally had 307 check outs on Sunday. The only problem with staying on a weekday is that they don't offer the breakfast buffet that we enjoy so much or have s'mores by the firepit in the evenings. However, they seemed so pleased that we were there that the service was even better than usual. I love that this place doesn't mind if you bring in your own food and beverage. We sat outside of the Sheller's Bar and ordered food but had our own wine. They are offering some good rates through February, as low as $119, according to the handout we received at the front desk at check-in but you have to call a special number to book these. Staff said that the next 3 months will be very slow for them. We didn't have a spa service this trip but they do allow guests to use the facilities in the spa for $15 daily. We did use the tennis courts and there was no fee at all for that. The hiking at McKinney Roughs Nature Park was great while it was dry. You can enjoy the trails here easy by walking a half mile path from the resort to the gates of the nature park. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxed get away at a much reduced price from their summer rates, consider Lost Pines for a winter escape.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,689)

Reviewed 24 November 2009

I really try to like this resort. It is a beautiful place in a beautiful setting. Went last spring and had an OK experience. Went last weekend for a conference and it was not as good as the first time. Maybe my expectations are too high, for the prices I want a 5 star experience and end up with 3s.

The spa – came out early and had a special deal at the spa. Rand gave a great massage and the facilities are very nice. While I was getting my massage, my co-worker hung out and had some interesting issues. Let’s see.. the Jacuzzi wasn’t hot. Tried to go into the sauna (not hot, took a long time and still not hot). Went to dry her hair, the heater element on the blow dryer was not working. At this point I’m done with my massage and we’re just cracking up because the other blow dryer was working. Little things were also not quite right. They have one-time tooth brushes, razors, tampons, etc. But – they hide them! They do not leave them out for easy access. So to get a tampon you have to wander out in your robe to get someone to come back in and give you one – come on. If you don’t have a spa treatment they charge $15 (on top of the resort fee – what’s that for?) and you can’t get a tampon?! Ridiculous, put them in a little basket and let people who need one have one!

Shellers (the bar) – we knew to bring our own drinks , you have a fridge and their cheap wine starts at $8 a glass, water is $4 from your fridge or $2 at the general store. So we did bring some wine and water. However, we went to the bar to eat dinner. Last trip (just last March) the bar food was great. This trip – yech. The waitress said they’ve gone through 3 chefs in the last year and they each do their own thing. The current chef actually ruined queso, it tasted sour and like it had flour or something grainy in it. (my friend and I’s later bathroom experience showed that it was probably bad). The steak quesadillas – well, they had big chunks of gristle and when I bit into one of the pieces and tried to take a bite I ended up with gristle brisket stuff all over. This is Texas people, if you can’t make queso or brisket, why are you cooking here?!!! The fish tacos were the only thing that was OK, Our drinks were watered down and horrible for the price. I had an $11 Mexican Martini, maybe 3 ounces, they don’t give you the shaker, and it was watery with no taste of alcohol at all. My friend’s $15 Grey Goose martini also was teensy and watered down. Basic bar 101 – chill the glass to make the martini cold, don’t shake with ice for several minutes and ruin the vodka. Service is friendly, so our Sheller’s experience overall was on the crummy side for food and drinks and decent for service. We stopped to get a s’more on the way back to the room (and our wonderful wine) and the graham crackers were stale. My conference food the next day was pretty good until I got to the underdone part of my chicken breast. Overall, the food all the way around was overpriced and not good.

The room – Check-in was interesting. Our reservations were made at exactly the same time by our administration staff person. She asked for us to be placed together and this was several months ago, we were early bird registrations. We go to check in and they’ve put my friend in a deluxe nice room and me in one of the lesser rooms. After much whining and cajoling they move me to around the corner into a lovely room overlooking the golf course. We spent some time that evening on my little patio having a glass of wine and watching the sun set – no-one else on that side was using their patio or balcony so I was glad I kvetched and made them move me. The bed was fantastic, great sheets, tons of pillows and the bathrooms are gorgeous and very clean. No issues with the room itself. Then I get up at sunrise the next morning. It’s a beautiful, misty morning with pretty colors so I decide to have a cup of coffee on my little patio. Open the door… and discover that the big pipe coming out of the ground, right by my patio, is a sewer pipe! I almost puked right there. It was nasty, but fortunately the smell did not linger or come into the room.

They did do a pretty good job at the conference. I think the issues we ran into there were due to the conference planners, not the hotel staff. The breakfast was pastries, fruit and coffee – which I think was poor planning by the conference planners, it was not hearty enough and everyone was starving by lunch. Everyone else had great food at lunch and the afternoon snacks were hearty with very nice presentation (give us iced tea instead of soda though – again, conference planners, not the Hyatt).

Overall, like I said, beautiful place, beautiful setting, wonderful beds and linens, nice showers and very clean. However, you are trapped far from town with crummy overpriced food and overpriced watered down drinks.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank jodi_123
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We stayed twice at this property this summer using Hyatt points. The rack rate was very expensive, so I docked the value one notch, but I heard some people talking about good last minute rates, so maybe you can get a deal.

The main attractions here are proximity to Austin, great pool, and fantastic staff. Everyone went out of their way to call me by my name if I spoke with them more than one time during the day.

We will be back next year for sure.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We came for a long weekend and stayed on the concierge level which provided lots of breakfast and snack items. This felt like a luxury hotel with tons of family friendly activities. Our 2 sons ages 7 and 10 absolutely loved it all, and so did we as the parents!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My husband and I had the pleasure of experiencing Lost Pines for a recent badly needed quick getaway. We were hoping for a relaxing destination...we found that and then some at Lost Pines. While it is perfectly set up for families, we found it to be an ideal location for the two of us to unwind. The setting right on the Colorado River is gorgeous; the property is immaculately kept and is complete with a firepit where they roast marshmellows nightly. The resort is adjacent to a park complete with horsetrails; there is a gorgeous spa on site along with a beautiful golf course; tennis courts. It really has something for everyone. While it is close proximity to Austin, we chose to only leave the property twice to catch a meal in neighboring Bastrop(10 minutes away). The rooms are extremely comfortable; the bountiful buffet breakfast stays set up until noon which served as lunch for us. The staff was the most helpful and friendly we've ever encountered, and we've encountered a lot. All in all, it was a wonderful escape. If you're trying to do a romantic getaway in the summer, however, I'm sure it is inundated with kids as it is so appealing for families. Off season, however, it couldn't have been better for the two of us. It was just what the doctor ordered. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jcg728
Reviewed 12 October 2009

I very nice hotel. A about 30-40 minutes outside of down town. But ....

The service our group (about 70 people) received was quite poor. We were rushed through a diner that cost over $110 a plate. The food was served at room temp. The drinks at the bar were heavily watered down and the wait staff in the bar seems annoyed that we kept ordered more drinks.

It is a shame that they will lose our business next year because of the poor service. Seventy people for four days should have received better treatment.

The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff was very nice.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My daughter and I went to this hotel as part of our summer vacation. It is located about 30 miles from Austin. The road into the resort is very long so there was definitely a feeling of isolation. I think it took us about 10 to 15 minutes to get to the town of Bastrop from the resort. There is not much there except a fun tea room called Tanalee's Tea & Sympathy. Make sure to stop in, have some tea and dessert and chat with Tanalee. She is a wonderful and fun lady. There are plenty of hats on the wall that you chose from to wear while having your tea. There are some antique shops on the one road in the "downtown" area. If you want to go to Austin, plan on 30 minutes to an hour depending on what time of day it is.

The staff at the resort were wonderful. They handled every request with grace and a smile. We had a double room with a river view. Since the river was so low, we couldn't even see it. But the room was very nice just the same. The beds were "heavenly" as is typical in Hyatt Resorts. We laid down for a quick nap and fell right asleep on the wonderful beds. The food at the resort was very good and also fairly expensive. However, the buffets they offered were very reasonable. We also would split an entree and found it to be plenty of food.

The pool was wonderful! But, if you are looking for a "river" feel like at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort, you won't find it here. There is a lot of concrete and I felt like we were at a water park. It was very enjoyable though. There is also a sand area for kids to play in. The only problem was all the bees! They were terrible. We had to leave the pool area because they wouldn't go away. They got in our food and up the sides of our drink cups.

The nightly S'mores was a nice touch. They also showed a movie on the lawn for families with younger children. One thing I really liked was that the ice cream/snack/sundry/gift shop was open until 11:00 pm. They also sell breakfast burritos for 3.95 which is not too bad.

There is live music in the sports bar which is very big. That is where most of the buffets were. It was a very lively and fun spot to hang out at night. There were video arcade games and games tables in the back of the room. Children are allowed in there until either 8pm or 10 pm depending on the day of the week.

This strikes me as a place to go to get away from it all and either play golf or stay at the wonderful pool areas all day. This would also be a good place to hold a conference. The fitness room only had 3 treadmills and they were all in use when I went there. I didn't use the spa facilities but they were very small. The spa is much nicer at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay. I think we would have enjoyed it more if we were golfers, horse riders or if they could have found a way to get rid of all the bees!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedar Creek
Quality Inn Bastrop
#3 of 9 in Bastrop
Northwest Austin
HYATT house Austin / Arboretum

Been to Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!