“Bad Taste”
Review of Wakefield Farms

Wakefield Farms
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I were recently married in Houston and reserved the Master Suite at WF the first night on our honeymoon. The temperature had dropped drastically after our wedding and we arrived to Wakefield Farms with a temperature in the 30's. Much to our surprise, we had a beautiful lCE COLD suite waiting for us. My husband phoned Susan Brock to let her know how cold it was and that the heat was not working. Her response was " Well, turn the heat on! " She quickly placed the blame, saying that another woman who works there should've warmed the room up but failed to. So we loaded our bags up and sat in our warm car contemplating whether we should go back to Houston. Susan insisted that she had a warm room and moved us to the largest, most beautiful suite she had, telling us that it would warm up quickly. This is where we FROZE the remainder of the evening. The suite reached 56 degrees. After discussing with Susan the horrible evening we experienced she did send a refund for the room, minus the breakfast. For lack of preparation, our first night together was miserable. It was our second time to Wakefield Farms. We fell in love there but we will NEVER go back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diane S
gretafred, Owner at Wakefield Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

On the occasion there is a problem with our accommodations we are distressed at our guests discomfort. In addition, we move into problem solving mode and do whatever is in our power to do to make our guests comfortable.

On this occasion/Sunday, March 2, 2014, when going into problem solving mode when informed the suite was cold, we asked our guest if the heat was on. We knew if the heat was on, it was malfunctioning and beyond our power to fix at close to 10:00 p.m. When the guest informed us the heat was on, we had two choices: a. set up lodging for them elsewhere or b. upgrade the guest to a functioning accommodation. We offered to upgrade the accommodation as we felt it our responsibility and obligation.

Since we were aware it was their wedding night and understanding all that occasion implies, we made available or newest accommodation and best upgrade where we, by experience, were certain the hvac system was fast heating. It was our hope at that moment that all would be well and our gesture understood and appreciated. We made hot tea for the couple when we got them in the private accommodation. We asked them to let us know if there was anything else we could do while offering our sincerest apology. When we knew they stayed and they did not report any additional problems to us we were relieved and hoped our solution and gesture was satisfactory.

The next day, the guest informed us mid-morning that their experience was as they described in this review. Again we apologized and immediately agreed to their request for a refund. The guest left approximately 30 minutes after check-out.

Our restaurant business partner informed us they had used their breakfast tokens for a lunch. Approximately a day or two after check out we received a voicemail from the groom who informed us we should deduct the cost of breakfast from the refund as they had used the breakfast tokens after requesting the refund.

On the Tuesday, March 4, 2014 after the stay, the groom called and asked if our refund had been made. We informed the guest that we had mailed a money order (a cash refund) to the address on the reservation. The groom informed me it was the wrong address. He explained that it was the bride's old address and they would get the mail regardless. On March 28, 2014, we received the unsigned return receipt requested from the United States Postal Service.

Of course, we are always distressed when a guest has a dissatisfying experience; especially when that experience is on the occasion of their wedding. We did everything we could think to do to make this right. The guests were aware of our facility and services from their earlier stay and chose us for this important occasion. Because of an unexpected malfunction, we failed them. Even more unfortunate is that whatever we tried to do to make it right did not have a positive effect.

So, we can only make sure this does not happen to another guest. Since their stay, we have made a significant upgrade to our hvac system in their original accommodation to include electronic dampers and individual thermostats in the suites to insure the air quality and condition to be able to better meet the individual demands of each guest. We will continue in the future as we have in the past: to implement on our maintenance plan to make our accommodations meet and exceed customer demand.

Let us restate, we are distressed on the occasion we can't satisfy a guest. Fortunately, these occasions have been few. We encourage readers of this review reply to compare this review not only to others on this site but on yelp.com, bedandbreakfast.com, and google.com in making a decision about whether or not to trust Wakefield Farms with their lodging needs.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a nice and peaceful stay at Wakefield Farms. The Farmhouse for 2 was lovely, clean and very comfortable and I thought the decor was very pretty.
One reason we chose Wakefield Farms was because it had a pool and it was perfect! Also enjoyed the nice comfortable patio furniture since we spent the whole afternoon lounging on it.
Breakfast was provided at the Chappel Hill Cafe. It was very good and we enjoyed the small town Cafe experience.
We got a chance to look at the School House Cottage and the Private Cottage and they were just as lovely as the Farmhouse. The Private Cottage is a bit cozy but the hot tub for 2 looked awesome.
We usually stay at B&B's closer to town, but we did enjoy being in the country this time. Drinking my early morning coffee on the porch and listening to all the animals and birds was so nice.
Enjoyed meeting Susan. She made sure we had everything we needed.
The only thing I found missing that would make it alittle more accommodating would be to have a few cold bottles of water and soft drinks in the fridge and a few snacks to munch on in the afternoon. Most B&B's offer this so I didn't think to bring any of these items. Other than that, it was a perfect weekend at a great B&B.
We will return again.
Carol

Room Tip: All the cottages were nice and they all had jucuzzi's. The Farmhouse for 2 and the Schoolhouse C...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I booked and prepaid for the Private Farmhouse after speaking directly with Susan Borck, the owner/innkeeper, about the number of people in our party (6 one night and 7 the second night). The day before we were to arrive, I emailed Susan to confirm this information and she said that I never told her about the 7th person in our party for one night. She said to me over the phone that I was "manipulative" and "trying to get one over on her". She never let me speak and yelled and screamed at me for 10 minutes and said things such as "That's right, I have mommy issues, I don't have a man that loves me, I'm just a sad, sad person."

I have never in my life dealt with someone like her especially a business owner who would treat her customers in such a way. Because of this awful exchange on the phone, I definitely didn't want to give her our money and she breached our contract and treated me the way she did.

In addition, she refuses to give me a refund because of her cancellation policy so I am going through the Better Business Bureau of Brazos Valley for assistance.

It's such a shame because the place looked really cute and we were looking forward to a great Girls Weekend there. We had to change our plans at the very last minute to find somewhere else to go after she did this. I am warning everyone to stay far away from this place. I'm not sure what Susan Borck's problem is, but you don't want to get stuck in a situation such as we did and be verbally abused on the phone. Whatever happened to customer service?

Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank michelleh
gretafred, Owner at Wakefield Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

We are grateful for all reviews we receive. And on the rare occasion the review is negative, we work very hard to learn from the review.

As in most businesses, we have a reservation policy which is published and is designed to assist all our guests with their comfort and safety while allowing us to remain a viable business. Our reservation policy is congruent with best practices in our industry and other area establishments. When we exercise our policy, we do so having exposed our guests to our reservation policy an average of three times or more.

As a result of this review, we are taking action by reviewing our website and our standard guest correspondence to insure not only our policies are clear but our offerings and services are accurately represented. We believe this action will help our guests understand how, when and why they engage in a business contract with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Enjoyed a nice weekend at Wakefield Farm. Stayed in the Saltbox which was very comfortable. Susan the innkeeper was very friendly and showed us the other houses which were also well decorated and very charming. She also shared some fun stories about the goats, sheep, miniature horses and dogs that are on the farm.

Nice place to relax for a weekend and get away from the big city.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

19th Anniversary weekend get away. We wanted a nice quiet place to get away and relax and we got it. Very peaceful accommodations. Not "over decorated". The jacuzzi is spacious and just what we needed. We love the "kitchen in a closet" with microwave, sink, coffee maker, fridge and dishes. Too cute and efficient. Too cool for the pool, but it's beautiful. Got to tour the upcoming accommodation. It's going to be the "bomb"!! Excellent customer service. The owner even came to meet us when we got lost (our fault) trying to find the farm. It is secluded, but once you know where you're going - easy to come and go. We would absolutely book again. Maybe next time with friends or family. Would be great for a group of friends or small family gathering space.

Peace to the goats, horses and birdies. We even were visited by a friendly cat. Thanks Wakefield Farms for a memorable weekend. M & T Rodriguez

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Teresa R
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We had a wonderful stay recently at Wakefield Farms. The host and hostess were wonderful and showed us all around their property. We LOVED the miniature horses that free roam around and love to be pet. The Greek Revival was perfect. The decor was fantastic and the attention to every detail was wonderful. We are only sad that we were not able to stay longer and look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa J
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Wakefield Farms is the best place to enjoy the countryside - charming and very good taste. The location is ideal for a weekend away from the city, but still not far (it is only 1 hour drive) from Houston down town. The Inn Keeper is very professional and detailed. Everytime I could - I will come back to this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Aztlanauta

Been to Wakefield Farms? Share your experiences!