“Nice cabin!”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cleveland
Houston, Texas
“Nice cabin!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I love that the one room cabins are on the water with their own balcony with a porch swing. They had a gas fireplace and nice bathroom and kitchenette. We didn't stay during a weekend but some rooms come with a carriage ride and breakfast on Saturday mornings. We stayed at the Thomas J. Rusk cabin. It was on the corner with no neighbors to the left, so we had room to spread out by the fire ring. Its perfect for those that want to camp but not really "camp"! You have modern conviences. The alligators are fun for the kids to watch their glowing eyes!

Room Tip: Pay attention to room descriptions. Some of the cabins have the beds up in the loft. If you don'...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Chrissymcd1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Webster, Texas
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We used to go to this property when we were kids back when it was a campground. We had such fond memories that I was a little afraid of returning. Now we have wonderful memories as adults. Our cabin, the Cynthia Ann Parker, was a perfect retreat for us. Having just been diagnosed with breast cancer, I was looking for peace and tranquility. I was not disappointed. We enjoyed breakfast each morning on the porch swing (bundled up) overlooking the lake. We had a wonderful visitor like none we've ever had. The fattest cardinal, Jazzy Red, landed in my hand and enjoyed some breakfast. Eventhough it was winter, it was still beautiful. We walked for hours, visited with one of the owners, rested in the hospitality house, and enjoyed one amazing meal at the Hilltop Herb Farm. Definitely 5 star quality and service. We were sorry to have to come home. We are already looking forward to our next trip once all treatments are done.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sheri B
Fresno, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Cabin was beautiful with all the amenities of home;mocrowave,coffee pot,Internet,Flat screen t.v.'s;sitting on the deck and porch can watch the raccoons,turtles and alligators;I rate it Excellent and Thumbs Up! Will be back next year 2014

Room Tip: The Big Easy Cabin is at a dead end;very quiet spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank denetta r
Houston
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I have stayed here often and conducted corporate retreats here as well. The property is beautiful. Each cabin is furnished with antiques and looks over a crystal clear artisan lake. Truly a special place and the staff go out of their way to be of service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RolandofGilliad
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 4 September 2013

It has been a few years since I stayed. I have been going since it was Chain O'lakes.

First, this IS camping in a cabin!! This is not a place you go to surf the net, or watch t.v! You are going to be outside and enjoy the environment!

I have stayed in several different cabins over the years and have never been disappointed. I did not go the first time expecting to be staying in a Penthouse! But, the cabins are nice, clean and cute.

I have fed squirrels and birds by hand on my porch, watched alligators swim below my cabin and my son swim with alligators! My son a techno kid thought he would hate it, and be bored. He loved it!

If you are looking to get away from the crazy work world this is the place. If you are looking to sit in front of a flat screen t.v., or mints on your pillow this is not the place for you!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank DJC824
Kingwood, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

What a great place!!!! Loved my porch and the alligator that came to visit every day - didn't want to leave and will be back again!!!!! Tinkerbell the horse and the beautiful carriage picked us up for breakfast on Saturday - the swimming hole and pool were awesome - the trails were beautiful - I will be back in the fall to use my fire pit and fireplace!!!!

Room Tip: the one room log cabin was perfect for me and my 2 kids - any more people and I would want to go wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sherri K
La Porte, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I stayed for 3 nights during the week and had a great time. My husband researched thoroughly so we knew to take food for dinner (drinks, sandwiches stuff and snacks) because the restaurant is not open in the evenings on weekdays. There are many places to eat in Cleveland which is a short 20 min drive. The kitchen had everything we needed, paper goods, ref, stove and microwave. The only thing missing was an icemaker but you can buy ice and all other types of sundries in the gift shop. The place was beautiful, clean and well maintained. Of course you are in a heavily wooded area so there were raccoons (those were the biggest pests in my opinion) and an occasional bug or two. My children are 6 and 8 and we they enjoyed playing in the loft upstairs and swinging on the front porch. We rented horses one day (for an additional cost) and spent another day lounging in the cleanest pool I have ever been in and had a really good burger from the grill by the pool. We very much enjoyed the free breakfast buffet (one of the best quiches I have EVER eaten) not to mention, fruit, eggs, pancakes, potatoes, bacon, sausage and gravy....I could keep going but you get the idea! All of the butter and jams etc. are made right there. The staff was very nice and welcoming everyday. The carriage ride to breakfast was an added bonus! We fed the fish and turtles from the deck after breakfast and saw lots of alligators. There were many beautiful paths and landscapes to admire including the beautiful herb garden. It is a little pricey but we opted to stay here over something cheaper for the privacy and peace that it offers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Stacy G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleveland
Best Western Cleveland Inn & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Livingston
Livingston Inn & Suites
Livingston Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Livingston

Been to The Retreat at Artesian Lakes? Share your experiences!