“Expensive considering problems”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in College Station
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

I was hopeful that this hotel would offer a decent place to crash as we drove home during our vacation. Things began poorly when we were met by a group of motorcycle thugs at the front door. They initially refused to to move and were trying to be intimidating. Not exactly the hotel's fault, but they probably could have told them to move along so guests could get into the hotel. The room was average at best. It did have a small refrigerator and a microwave, which was nice. Tried to use the wireless Internet, but it would drop after 5 minutes. Finally, the toilet was unable to do its job. Enough said about that.

Considering what was paid for this, it was a very disappointing stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear Gregory H,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here in a "suite" for a weekend. The hotel is average. We were staying in a "better" room, but it clearly was not very clean, with stains on the sitting area furniture and carpet. The hallway from the elevator to the rooms smelled funny. The a/c in the sitting room did not work very well, while the a/c in the bedroom was freezing. The kitchen area had little to nothing in it, other than a subpar coffee machine. Drapes on the windows did not close all the way or black out the room. The room itself was dark and dreary. Bedding looked well-used. There was a poor selection of "quick" snack food in the main lobby area, which is bright and large with a lot of wasted space. The hotel restaurant has very limited hours and the food is average to below average. The hotel is convenient to the freeway and to Texas A&M. Overall, I found it a bit creepy, but about average for College Station.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear HoustonKaren,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience and concerns. We are gald you like the convenient location of the hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and trust that we will address the issues and assure you that proper measures will be taken. We do hope when business or pleasure brings you back to the area, you will allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Zelyn N

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The room was nice. Stay away from the restaurant. The waitress was unfriendly and told me she knew nothing about beer or wine, so I should go order my drink at the bar. I went to the bar and the bartender was very involved with a conversation with a man at the bar. I asked what types of beer and wine she had, and she replied "Look at the selection and choose." She was rude, and acted as if I was a huge bother. She even said, "Why don't you ask your waitress."The food was fine, but the waitress and bartender were unkind. I worked as a waitress as a student and would never treat people the way we were treated. I used the breakfast order form to order breakfast in the room due to the way we were treated in the restaurant. But alas, the number I dialed rec'd no answer. You might want to institute the check off menu you hang on the door the night before, if you don't use the current method efficiently. Called the front desk, they transferred me to a line never answered. After five, attempts, guess who answers? The unfriendly waitress. She informed me she had no idea what I was talking about when I ordered what was on the "Express Breakfast Menu" in front of me. She reluctantly took our order and hung up. Next morning, you got it, no breakfast. Called the front desk, transferred to the kitchen manager who had no record of our order. Kitchen manager was kind, and attentive. Hold on to her. She brought us a nice breakfast. Filled out a lengthy comment sheet, week later no response. They have huge signs saying we want 10's, but I don't think that's true. Go out to dinner. Don't try to order room service.

1  Thank Susan M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Susan M,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our staff. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This Holiday Inn and Suites was very clean and quiet. It is very close to some nice shopping and the college. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast and the rooms were the typical Holiday Inn Express.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

What I liked:

It's a recently built property and has all the standard amenities of the Holiday Inn brand (indoor pool, restaurant with a bar, room service, fitness room, free WiFi, etc). The front entrance was cute, with the little stream and the bridge going over it.

The rooms were also large and had all the standard HI amenities (Bath and Body Works bath products, fridge and microwave, etc).

Not so much:

Even though this is an HI brand, which seems to have pretty strict corporate standards about things like decor, it is a pretty gaudy hotel. While this is subjective and may have something to do with the cultural tastes of the franchise owners, I was pretty surprised how far the decor deviated from other HIs I've stayed at.

The restaurant in the hotel is a Kem's. If you been to one Kem's at a HI, you've been to them all. They just serve all the easy food service stuff: mozarella sticks, chicken wings, etc. However, you can smell Indian food in the lobby. Maybe the franchise owners are Indian or South Asian and live onsite. If so, maybe add some Indian fare to the Kem's menu? That would be awesome. I would have ordered some room service then.

Overall, a comfortable stay for a short business trip.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed a couple of nights for business, The room was very large and spacious. It was a warm day and the air conditioning worked well. I was in a room near the elevator and was staying the same week of a large group of athletes were in town for a swimming tournament. It was very quiet the entire stay!
I love the appearance of the hotel from the highway when they turn the green flood lights on at night.

I had two issues with this hotel. The first is that the entrance from the freeway had flooded so had to manuever around the water by using the bank driveway next door. The second was the desk failed to record the proper credit card number upon check in and used an old number that was in my priority club file. As a result, they locked me out of my room the morning I was scheduled to leave and the clerk announced loudly that my card was not good and I needed to give them a different one. I put this down to inexperience on the part of the clerk.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed here overnight for a business trip. I was VERY surprised at how nice the place was. It was quiet, comfy beds (soft and firm pillows to choose from), Bath and Body works in bathroom, and the staff upon arrival were AMAZING. Very friendly and helpful. Nice touch for the small fridge in room. Very spacious and clean.
Would recommend to anyone and would stay here again. Only downfall would be parking space... they need a few more lights for my taste. All in all, wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the end. Really quiet.