“Good hotel...but don't count on a helpful staff”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in College Station
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Overall, this is a nice place, but I encountered three issues.

1) When I called the hotel the day prior to check-in, I was promised early arrival wouldn't be a problem. I planned to arrive at 1 pm (after a 3 hour drive) so I could shower and change before my afternoon meeting. Upon arrival, I was told there was not one room available and nothing would be open until after 2:30 pm. Nor did they have a lounge where I could relax for a while in semi-privacy, so I ended up changing in the public bathroom stall. To top it off, the clerk was not overly helpful or sympathetic.

2) Internet service was not so great. My tablet was unable to hold the wireless connection, as it kept dropping out and forcing a reconnect every few minutes.

3) The fitness area was sub-par. There are three cardio machines, all of lower quality (not professional stuff), as well as a few dumbbells. These are all crammed in a very small room with only a 10'x6' (approx) open area.

The rest of my stay was fine. The room was comfortable, clean and quiet. I enjoyed a good night's sleep without interruptions. I'm sure others will have few to little issue with these items, but I was not overly impressed. As an IHG Platinum member, I expect better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BigTxDaddy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear BigTxDaddy,

Thank you for being one of our IHG Rewards Club Platinum members. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am happy to know that you found your room clean and comfortable.

I understand that your stay was negatively affected by the level of service received, the lack of amenities in the fitness center and the Internet service. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience these may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again here in College Station.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here the week of May 19. Was clean with just a couple of minor things such as stray hair on bed, etc. Was nicely appointed and comfortable. Not within walking distance of anything, but near the highway making it easy to get there. No problems with the area or nearby housing as some had reported. Did have issue with A/C not working well one night. They have me the option of calling in maintenance overnight or fixing the next day. I opted for next day and it was repaired when I returned. The desk staff were nice and friendly. The breakfast was $12. Would like to see this included since other similar business class hotels and property offer it as an amenity. Did not try the workout room or pool. They were small but looked decent. The water feature was not running in the front when I was there. Overall quiet and comfortable. Good job.

Room Tip: Even numbers are the East side of the hotel, odd the West side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Member_Too
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very nice indoor pool area, fitness room limited, three machines and a small weight set. Have stayed at much smaller hotels with more equipment. Staff very friendly during entire stay. Right on expressway, noise not an issue.

Room design basic, don't expect to be dazzled.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Presentation was nice, conference rooms were decent, service for conference was pretty good. My issues were maintenance with the facility. I was in this establishment 3 weeks prior and the toilet in the men's restroom was out of order, 3 weeks is plenty of time to get the facilities back up and running! All the coke machines did not worked. And when i say "ALL", I literally walked to every floor, and tried every single machine, and everyone had problems. I talked to the front desk clerk and he said they were aware of the problem. He did give me a free drink of my choice, which was a nice gesture, and a smart move on his part. The electrical receptacle near my bed did not work, which I had to make a choice between charging my cell phone, or the lamp. Again, the hotel is nice, but they need to work on there maintenance times, having non working equipment for an extended time is unacceptable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TommyF387
AJ S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us and I hope your conference was a success.
Your feedback is valuable to us and management has met with the chief engineer regarding the issues you have mentioned in your review. Our goal is always to have a well maintain property for guest to enjoy and relax in during their stay. This year we will be renovating our property to offer guest a fresh new experience. Look for new changes coming soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were in College Station for one night only. We were there to attend the TCGC Drumline Championship competition that our son was in. This is a yearly event in College Station. After unloading/loading equipment, feeding an entire drumline, and helping push props on/off the floor, we were pretty exhausted as it had been a long day. We arrived at the hotel with our four older children at 10:30pm. We reserved two rooms. The hotel was very nice, the front desk employee was very courteous, and the location is excellent. Both rooms were very, very well maintained. Very clean and I loved the warm, inviting decor. We also received a fabulous rate for the TCGC. My one and only complaint is that we were awoken at 9:30am with knocking on our door by maids wanting to clean our room. At 9:30am? Then, at 10:30am, we received a phone call from the front desk not only reminding us that check out was at noon, but that we would be charged an additional night if we stayed past that! Wouldn't it have been more appropriate at check in to tell us? We did not have a "do not disturb" on the door, as we didn't think it would be necessary at 9:30am in the morning. I loved this hotel, but as we have previously stayed at the Country Inn & Suites next door (which is just as lovely), we thought we would try this one out to see which we liked best. Being we have a daughter who will be a Freshman at A&M next year, we will be visiting quite often, in addition to our yearly stay with our son for the TCGC. It's the small things that can make the difference when you are competing with a hotel right next door.....the service and sleep quality ratings I gave were due to the early wake up by the maids, and the unnecessary (somewhat inappropriate) phone call from the front desk.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FWfamily90

Thank you for honest feedback and let me personally apologize for your recent experience with our housekeeping staff. It is never our intention to make our guest feel rushed. We have taken your comments to heart and have shared them with our housekeeping staff. Please know you are always welcome to stay till the designated check out time. Hope to see you again soon. - AJ

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Excellent,friendly hotel, nice people.every person is efficient, polite and has a ready smile.I have already stayed several times and many nights each time.I have never been disappointed. For longer stays like mine a slightly lower rate could be offered.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Terry L

Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to give us your feedback.
I am glad you enjoy your stays with us, we are working everyday to improve our property to fit your business travel needs.
Our sales manager is on site and would be happy to visit with you, please don't hesitate to call or ask for her next time your in town.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Handled our large group with ease and professionalism. Pleasant stay from check in to check out. Enjoyed the room, food, service and location. Thanks for a great experience in College Station and a relaxing stay at your hotel!

• Stayed: February 2014
AJ S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Aggieland, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Brandon,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received great service. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. I will share your kind words along to our staff.

Thanks again for staying with us. we truly appreciate it.
We hope to see you again soon!

AJ