“worse motel in the county” 1 of 5 bubbles

American Inn
American Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Colorado City
Odessa, Texas
“worse motel in the county”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I went here to get a room for the night. I ask if we could see the room and he said my wife to check out the room and we could finish the paper work. It was room 110, my wife said it had a bad smell to it and no face towels. We went back to the office to get our money back and he said it would put us in another room and his wife would show them to us. And she showed us 2 other room and 1 had a king be and she said it would be more money. So I just ask for my money back and he charged me $5.00 DOLLARS caused my wife washed her hands. So we went to the DAYS INN across the interstate 20 and got a better room with a KING BED and better service for just $10.00 DOLLARS I would recommend the DAYS INN 110% i WOULD NOT LET MY DOG STAY AT AMERICAN INN IN COLORADO CITY, TEXAS

Room Tip: just go to the days inn for $10.00 dollars more
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bama14tx

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
TEXAS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

I am not saying unkind things about this motel, I am merely speaking my truth. Based on deceiving online reviews I stayed at the American Inn and regret it. The pictures that are posted look better than the actual motel. Yes you could say it had been recently remodeled if painting is your definition of remodel. I pulled the very coarse sheets and pilled up blanket and found a silverfish, wonder what I couldn't actually see. After retiring for the evening I pulled the comforter up and realized that the silverfish was the better part of my bedding as there was a STRONG urine odor. My companion's comforter had a brownish red stain completely covering the top of her bedding, Not too big a problem as you don't need the comforter because the air conditioner took forever to get the room bearable much less "cool." The windows were so filthy that I cleaned ours with alcohol and could only clear enough of an area to get a partial view. The electrical is scary. You have to hold the on button down with hand while you try to blow your hair with your other limb. In the lobby they have a note by the check in cards that you "get" one towel per person per day. That's okay because I ONLY stayed one day and I wouldn't have stayed that long if I had visited the rooms before I checked in. My mistake, don't make an assumption that because a motel has a pool that it will actually be usable. Although they "literally" have a pool, I didn't think I should have to ask if it had water. The ice machine doesn't offer any utensil for scooping your ice. I had to rake off a couple layers to get to fresh ice that everyone else hadn't had their hands in. They do have a SINGLE vending machine, of course, it is OUT OF ORDER. I moved to Western Suites which is brand new. The rooms are lovely, clean, comfortable and the staff is extraordinarily helpful. With the AAA or AARP discount which the American Inn doesn't offer, the room is only $14 a night more. Believe me, it would have been a bargain at $40 a night higher. To sum up this ramble - BUYER BEWARE !!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank JAREDSGAM
Andrews, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Picked this motel based on a posted review...the review was wrong! Price nowhere close, (it was 70)the bedding was dirty, the "pool" that I specifically asked about was empty, they tried to overcharge us, windows filthy, and when we asked for our money back so we could move to a different motel, they were extremely unbelievably rude, and refused to give us our money back. We had paid cash, so that was our first mistake. When I asked him why he had told us he had a pool, when he didn't, he said....and I'm not kidding here..."technically....literally...we didn't lie. We DO have a pool...it just doesn't work so we had to drain it. But we DO have a pool!" They also said they have wireless internet...and they sort of do...but it's on/off/on/off. Couldn't use our computers much at all. The electrical in the bathroom was probably against code...we couldn't even plug in our hair dryers etc because the plug ins weren't polarized. They had a hair dryer that didn't work...probably because they had to file down the plug to make it fit! I took plugs like these out of my parents house back in the 80's.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank wibbers
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

This is by far the best deal in town. Not a luxury hotel, but the best 2 star hotel I've stayed in, it puts many 3-4 stars to shame. The rates are a great bargain. The hotel is newly remodeled and very clean. The service is good overall. Location is good, very quiet and safe.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple