“Great comfort food”

Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Family owned and operated, Vernon's Kuntry Katfish provides home-style cooking in a casual and comfortable environment. Just like walking into a family member's living room and having a relaxing dinner, Kuntry Katfish has the same homey atmosphere with its panel wood walls, carpet floors and personal touches. We also feature a large room that is perfect any event. Our large menu features many Southern favorites along with a broad spectrum of seafood (shrimp, scallops, oysters). Customer favorites include chicken fried steak, and of course, our famous katfish. Everything on our menu is cooked to order and made fresh every day - we guarantee consistent flavors and quality. We believe in high-quality products, large portions, and fast, friendly service. Whether you're having a casual outing with the family or you're grabbing lunch with co-workers, Vernon's Kuntry Katfish is the perfect place to go. Also be sure to ask us about our full-service catering!
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We tried the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes, cream gravy, fried okra & biscuits. Food is served in a homey dining room. People are friendly & service is very good.

Buster B, Manager at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Glad to hear you enjoyed your Chicken Fried Steak and that it was matched by good service, Carol. It looks like you were just visiting, but hopefully we'll be able to cook for you again sometime in the future!

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

So a re-review. Horrible sums it up.

Cold food. Slow service. Wrong order. Arguing waitress when she messed up the order and I mean argue. What do you want me to do about it attitude. I've down no wrong.
Wow.
Flies swarming the tables. Slop truck stopping by your table as they clean up after guests. This institution of catfish has gone straight down the toilet. I'm betting that old Vernon is spinning in his grave as he watches his life's work be run down.
If travelling along 105 toward Montgomery heading out of Conroe pass by and maybe stop at Phils Roadhouse in Montgomery. Catfish is better and the service is always pleasing!

1  Thank tm100
Buster B, Manager at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

After over 20 years in the food service industry, I always held the opinion that the customer was always right. However, that was not the case in this situation. This was a classic case of the customer taking a resolvable problem and turning into a major incident.

I concede that this gentleman's order was wrong. When we tried to resolve the problem it became apparent that the customer would not be satisfied unless his meals were “comped”. When we presented him with the correct order, he pushed the plate away and did not eat. He then informed the manager that he would not pay for his meals nor the meals of his guests (which were eating without complaint). The manager said that she would gladly comp his meal but the other two would have to be paid for. To this he responded with the fact that he was a senior writer for TripAdvisor.

Apparently, he believed that a negative review would intimidate us into “comping” the other meals. When the customer signed his credit card receipt, he wrote “under protest” on the receipt. He informed the staff member at the counter he was going to contact his credit card company immediately and said “He would not be paying for these meals!” This exemplifies the fact that the sole purpose of this customer was not to pay for any of the meals.

Our staff did everything they could to try to satisfy this customer. They apologized, offered a gift card, and tried to get his contact information so the owner could contact him. He refused all and said he would call myself, the owner, which never occurred. Instead, he wrote this tasteless review referring to problems such as cold food, slow service, etc. which were never brought up to the staff. But worst of all mentioning my deceased father, which I take as a personal attack.

My family and our staff know that we are blessed to have the customers that we continue to satisfy on a daily basis. In turn, we pass these blessing onto our community. This is the model in which my parents built this business and the model we continue to follow today.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Anytime we visit Conroe, we have to eat at Vernon's! This is excellent, down home cooking. The hush puppies are to-die-for!

Buster B, Manager at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

We love hearing that we're a staple when you find yourself in Conroe! Looking forward to serving up some more hush puppies next time you're in our neck of the woods. Have a great rest of the summer, Kathy.

Until then,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Must be one of the best kept secrets around this area.If you live in Houston this place is worth the drive if you like catfish.I had fried the first time and the second time I had not fried.Both were very good and every thing that goes with it is good.I ate so much though I felt like I gained five pounds! I think we have been three times now since April.There is waiting every time,So some of our party waited and we walked next door to the produce/flower stand which is also very unique.They had a dog there that eats cantelope, so cute..

Buster B, Manager at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thanks for letting others in on the secret, Juliet! It's so flattering to know that you make the drive from Houston just to come eat with us. We can't wait to have you back for visit #4!

Until then,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This is not a place you expect to be wowed by the food, but don't let the outside fool you. The food is good, not as good as my last visit 3 years ago, but still good. Service was great and the pecan cobbler is an absolute must try if you are in the area!!

1  Thank Ijustluv2travel
Buster B, Manager at Vernon's Kuntry Katfish, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Love hearing that you enjoyed yourself on this second visit. I would never want our service to described as anything less than "great"! As for the food, you said it was good, but not as good as the last time you were here -- I wish I had more details about that. Feel free to reach out next time if you have any feedback about how we could make your meal even better.

Buster, General Manager

Been to Vernon's Kuntry Katfish? Share your experiences!