“Little Italy”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The food is awesome and the owners are great. The location is a little out of the way but worth the find. Very good service.

3  Thank JonTx

Reviewed 24 January 2013

6 of us had lunch there today and it was awesome....the food is outstanding. Best Red Snapper I've ever had, full of flavor. We will definitely go back.

2  Thank Anita W
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I was going to be in the area for the weekend so I searched for a non-chain restuarant for dinner with me and my fiance. I was excited to see the other reviews for this place as it seemed right up my alley and I have a soft spot for Italian food. We arrived and I was very pleased with the exterior of the restuarant as it is set in a quaint little home that has little flair or flash but is welcoming in a very peaceful way. Upon entering we were met with a group of six on the way out having fun and one of them mentioned "If you have not been here before the food is excellent". Its always a good sign to see people leaving in a good mood and the positive comment got my hopes up even more. Perhaps that was my main issue, I was dead set for greatness and unfortunately it fell short.

We were sat ordered water and asked if there was a wine list. We were informed there is not but they have Chardonnay, Merlot and Chianti. I was a little taken back and surprised that a fine italian restuarant did not have more wine that three types of house table wine. We ordered a glass of Chardonnay and Chiant (No idea what brand because we never saw a bottle) and I honesly think whatever the wine used is cut with grape juice. I have had sweet wines before and this was not simply two examples of sweet wine. It legitimately tasted like wine with grape juice.

We ordered calamari and stuffed mushrooms for appetizers. The server returned a few moments later to tell us that they were out of calamari. Friday night at 8:00 and your out of arguably the most popular appetizer at italian restaurants?!?! Really! We got the mushrooms fairly quick and I must say they were fantastic. Honestly some of the best stuffed mushrooms I have ever had. It left me wondering how good would the calamari have been unfortunately.

For our entrees I ordered Crespollini All Fiorentana which are crepes stuffed with spinach and ricotta with a cream sauce while my fiance had Shrimp Italiano which is shimp in a white wine, butter, garlic herb and mushroom sauce. Before they arrived we were brought house salads with a parmessan dressing which was very good. The salads were very plain and consisted of a few carrots, a couple of tomatoes and iceberg lettuce. When the entrees arrived they both looked beautiful but unfortunatly the taste was not as good as the visual appeal. Mine was good but the dish lacked some balance in the form of acidity. Some lemon zest, a few tomatoes...just something. Halfway through I got some red sauce in order to cut the richness. My fiance's dish was extremely deep in shrimp flavor. I am not a big fan of shrimp so it was very overpowering for me but I suspect someone that enjoys shrimp would really enjoy the flavor. The linguini was cooked perfectly but the shrimp was very over cooked and tough.

It is very obvious that the owners are not restaurantuers in the common sense so if you are expecting anything in the standard sense of service it will not be there. No greeting at the door, no offer for appetizers at the start of your meal (we asked for them in case you are wondering), no specials offered by the server, no checking back on you shortly after you receive your meal, no offering of desserts, no timely presentation of a check etc. When we left my fiance commented that the food was good but she wasn't sure if it was good enough to overlook the service.

Was this experience bad, no I would not say that. But it was no where near the level I was expecting based on the reviews here.

2  Thank Cameron T
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Mike P...I'm a faithful, long time customer of Villa Italia. I loved it when Norma was running it, and it's every bit as good now that Jose has taken over in her absence. I've eaten in some of the best restaurants in the country, and I would rank Villa Italia at the top of a very tasty list. To even find a restaurant of this caliber in a place like Conroe is a GIFT, and clearly one you don't deserve. The majority of the good people of Conroe tend toward cookie cutter chain restaurants, and tend to equate quantity with quality. Villa Italia is for people who appreciate something a little better, and at prices that make it impossible for me to understand why Olive Garden is packed, and Villa Italia struggles. The pace of Villa Italia is slower...a lot slower...than your average chain restaurant. People with taste understand that and enjoy the relaxed pace. We like to enjoy our dinner, and the delicious food there is absolutely worth taking your time to savor. It's not a place to go if you are in a hurry, though if you ask them ahead of time, they will speed up for you. They are very big on making the customer happy and on giving the best possible experience. Having said that, because it's such an undiscovered, tucked away little jewel, they don't have a lot of customers, and might not be fully prepared for large groups unless a reservation was made. My advice to you is to go back to Applebees. The food is crap, but at least your watered down drinks will be served quickly. I don't think fine dining establishments are your natural habitat, and a man should know his limitations.

6  Thank zonachelle
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Here is a restaurant with a lot of history. It's as quaint as can be with a quiet dining feel. Good food, clean environment--the owner tries hard with the food and wine.
I will be back.
Only thing, it's hard to find because the building is an old house and doesn't stand out. Sort of "tucked away"

2  Thank squiggy55647

Been to Villa Italia? Share your experiences!