“Inhospitable”
Review of Landgrove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landgrove
Landgrove Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Landgrove B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was present for a wedding here this summer and wow was it astounding. Staff seemed to have no problem whatsoever in being blatantly rude to their guests and to each other in public areas. It was to the point of actually yelling at guests for trying to set up. Yes, I realize that guests setting up for a facility can be a pain for the people working (I have worked a few weddings myself), but I would never in my right mind think it is okay to physically yell at someone who has chosen your establishment for their special day. I do not expect a plastered smile on your face the whole time we are there (weddings are a stressful event to hold for an establishment, I understand that), but civility is reasonable to expect. Until you get here I suppose. Every attempt to address a not-so-nice situation with staff was met with blaming/excuses/and more lashing out. The place was beautiful, but I don't think I will ever be back. Not when many of use were spoken to in such a manner.
Second, the smell. Walking down the hallways and kitchens smelled like my house did when the sewage pump broke. You can imagine.
Third, the cost. Yeesh!!! Not entirely their fault of course. This is actually pretty normal cost for an inn such as this. But man did the checkout hurt, especially because I was not told about the "service charge" when I called to ask about the cost 2 months before the wedding. To their credit it is on the website that they charge that, but I would expect staff to mention it when giving you a flat room rate on the phone.
Forth: Our adjoining room door was open to another room without any way to lock it without contacting the staff. When we opened the door (not knowing where it lead) other peoples stuff was laying around that we should not have had access to, nor them to our things. You can see the problem here.
Positives: Showers worked fine. They were hot and no pressure problems. Room was comfortably warm. Land was beautiful. Towels and linens were clean. Wifi worked fine if you were in the lobby, but we were told that beforehand and the lobby is great anyway.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank cwest2013
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

It's obvious at this point that the wedding party from our recent event has decided to take revenge on us for not letting them turn the Landgrove Inn into a frat house for the weekend by trashing us one be one on Trip Advisor. I would hope that anyone not familiar with us who reads these reviews realizes that we will remain as vigilant in the future to make sure that their stay is not ruined by such sophomoric behavior.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I'm actually surprised to see so many positive reviews. First off, let's cover the things for which the Landgrove Inn does NOT get credit for. The setting is beautiful; the scenery and surrounding countryside are shining examples of why I love Vermont. The property is old, and quaint, and charming. And, given the location, it's no fault of the Inn's that there is no cell reception.

The staff, though? I'm surprised to see them praised; especially Tom. I have ten years of experience in the hotel business, and I've been traveling the U.S and internationally for years. I have never met a more surly, less inhospitable innkeeper than Tom. He was, in a word, rude. I was at the Landgrove Inn for a wedding; this means that the property was 100% booked by one group, and in addition to full occupancy the Landgrove Inn took in food/beverage/function space revenue for both the rehearsal dinner AND the reception; an occasion for an innkeeper to be happy and solicitous, one would think. Not Tom.

Were we rowdy? Was there drinking? It was a wedding. But I've been to dozens of weddings, and on the whole this one was very well behaved. No parties in rooms, no foolish stunts. Just dancing, drinking, music, laughter, and a late night by the bonfire. I saw nothing that I could imagine would upset an innkeeper who was willing to book weddings in the first place. So why so unpleasant? It's a mystery.

Most of his staff seemed to follow suit; they were at best curt, and in many cases surprisingly blunt or rude. The absence of 'please' and 'thank you' from the inn staff was obvious. I will call out only one exception: Carl. Carl worked the wedding reception to the very end, and was up and serving at breakfast the next morning; the whole time he was pleasant and helpful. He should give lessons to his colleagues.

The room: it's an old building with old furniture and fixtures. No problems there; it's what you expect. But, there were some cleanliness problems. There was mildew and cobwebs on corners of the bathroom ceiling, an ugly amount of dust on the exhaust fan, and the water pressure/temperature in the shower was extremely variable; fine one minute, a bare trickle the next (we had two plumbers in our party for the weekend, and they attribute this to the piping not being done correctly to deal with variable demand). Both of the bath towels had some stains on them; I'm sure not a health hazard, but certainly not pleasant.

The inn itself: sometimes age camouflages lack of maintenance. I won't call out many specifics in the common areas, except for the smell. A couple of the corridors in the inn had a terrible smell, something like an open drain line or a bad grease trap in a kitchen. Very unpleasant. And the pool? There is no pool. It's an ex-pool slowly evolving into a frog pond. The pool liner is torn and drooping into the water; we counted several live newts in the pool.

What did this experience cost me? $165 a night. Plus a 10% 'service' charge (hah). Plus 9% VT tax. Plus who knows how much spent by my friends on their wedding. Worth every penny to be with my friends on their special day; but a terrible value for what the inn (and its staff, and its keeper) delivered.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank treetoe
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

I am not surprised to see this review. Especially after the behavior of the wedding party at our last event. Weddings are a small part of our business and unfortunately, due to the age and immaturity in this case, of the participants and the drinking that usually starts at 11am each day, they are the most stressful. What upset this particular group was the fact that the Dram Shop laws in the state of Vermont do not allow outside alcohol at a licensed event. While I cautioned the wedding couple prior to the event that this had been an issue at another wedding this summer and that we would be very vigilant regarding this issue, it still occurred. Age was not a factor. They were free to drink whatever they wanted during the day in their rooms, which they freely did, but once the event started, they would not be allowed to bring outside alcoholic beverages not into the reception hall. What really upset this group was that they asked that I look the other way while they broke the law, like a bunch of spoiled children and I refused point blank. It wasn't like the bride and groom hadn't provided all the beer and wine they could want, they wanted to drink their own liquor and didn't seem to care that I told them it was not allowed and endangered our livelihood.. While a catered event, like a wedding, is happening the staff and owners are responsible for the alcohol consumption and any mishaps that might occur endanger the livelihoods of all involved, a small matter that didn't mean much to this individual. Yes, our swimming pool needs a new liner and was already closed for the season by the time this event occurred.
I think the reviewer needs to grow up and stop acting like a juvenile. I'm glad we've seen the last of him.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great dining in this slightly out of the way Inn. The first class food and country ambiance are well worth the trip. The duck is the best in the area and I have returned there many times. One of my favorites in this area. Tom is a great host & I recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank retirededward
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and i just had wonderful weekend at the Landgrove Inn. We were there for a family reunion down the road and we opted to stay at the Inn rather than get cozy with the brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews. We were so glad we did. The Inn is a charming classic Vermont Inn that was built in the early 1900's. Our accommodations were generous and comfortable. The owner "Tom' makes you feel at home quickly and his staff are very friendly. We especially loved our morning walks in the neighborhood walking pas

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sean C
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Here in the midst of rural Vermont you can lie by the pool and actually hear the wind blow through the leaves! A beautiful, gracious and lovingly decorated inn with delicious, honest and homey food on the menu at breakfast and dinner (order the duck!) and very yummy seasonal desserts. Our room was large, comfortable and delightfully quiet. Owners Tom and Maureen are absolutely lovely and did all they could to help us feel like VIPs. Simply wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We loved our room, with a view of the pool. Ask for # 19!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ffax
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This is my second stay at Landgrove Inn in two years. I had the same experience both times where unlike some reviewers I did not get the warm welcome. Maybe it's cause I have children. I personally love the dirt roads and the scenery and the Inn from the outside and the front is beautiful. It may not be your thing though. It's old and rustic. The Inn is in need of repair but that does not really bother me. The room we stayed in was old with old furnishing but I thought it was quaint. If slanted floors are a turnoff you would not like it. The shower -you could barely fit in..but the water was hot and the pressure was good and it was fine. Speaking of the shower, they gave me one small bottle of shampoo. I had 4 people in room/suite, I asked for a second tiny bottle and was told by cleaning staff that "most people bring their own shampoo". It was rude. And speaking of rude, I was told a "full country breakfast" was included and it was from a small selection. Breakfast was served from 8 until 9:30am. Ok, we are usually up, but my husband was just recovering from surgery and he was depressed and tired and in pain so he wasn't going to make the 9:30. They did allow me to bring it up to his room...Well we got down to breakfast, me and kids, at 8:30 and we were told by staff that we were the last ones down and that today they "started breakfast early" and were ending at 9 instead of 9:30....The waitress was just so patronizing and I really was rushed by her. She kept saying she had to get table ready for dinner. we were in and out in 12 minutes...i did not tip her. I don't know if I was supposed to...The pool - the pool. One reason we chose the Inn was they had a pool. Forget it - I tried to skim that pool for about 20 minutes to get the bugs out. My kids were dying to swim but even they couldn't get past the living worms we saw swimming around and the amount of dirt and yuck in the pool. Sorry but it was gross and again, the pool was in major need of repair. Now, having said all that this is not the type of inn to go to if you want modern conveniences. There are no phones and forget cell service..The internet on my laptop worked well though. On the positive side you are a short drive to many things to do. The location of the inn is wonderful to me, peaceful and pretty. After two nights and a second rushed breakfast and the patronizing waitress again I just wanted to leave. The owner was kind enough and allowed me to check out. I offered to pay for part of the day because it was last minute...and I kind of felt bad. But the rain was really bothering my husbands' back and that combined with feeling bad for the shampoo just made me uncomfortable. We go on a lot of road trips but twice at Landgrove and both times I felt uncomfortable and I am sorry to say that because I would like to like the place. But I won't stay here again and the strangest thing is I don't think they would want me back. And I've never felt that way about a place I have stayed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary Anne M

We're sorry that Maryanne and her family did not thoroughly enjoy their recent stay at The Landgrove Inn. We can appreciate how difficult it is for her to travel with her family when she has to do all the entertaining herself. She told me it puts a lot of stress on her and I do understand. Also, with all the other guests at the inn at that time we were very busy and unfortunately not aware of any problems. Since they never ate in our dining room we never did get a chance to interact with the family. When she left we were told it was due to her husband's medical condition which we took at face value.
When she came to breakfast the first morning at 8:45 and asked what time we serve until she was told 9:30 to which she replied, "He'll never be up by then", so we let her bring breakfast back to her room for her husband who never did get out of bed the whole time. Certainly his prerogative. I cook breakfast so I was there. Not that we mind if a guest stays in bed all day, but it did create a problem for housekeeping servicing the room. That may explain the shampoo, since they weren't able to gain access since he was sleeping all the time.. I'm not sure what to say about the pool. It was open all summer and we haven't heard any other complaints, keeping in mind the upkeep of a pool at a country inn in the heart of the Green Mountains is very different than a pool in a Connecticut suburb. The wind blows here constantly and does deposit things in the pool which we constantly skim, though not always in the rain. It's also hard for some of the local creatures to discern the pool from our nearby trout pond.
We can only hope that we have the opportunity to host Maryanne and her family under better circumstances in the future and change her impression of The Landgrove Inn.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Revisiting the Landgrove Inn after a gap of some 20 years, and nothing had changed ( with a few exceptions) . It is still a rustic country hideaway in the heart of the Vermont countryside providing a peaceful location. The Inn has new owners since I last visited and Tom and Maureen have upheld the tradition of the previous incumbents, but have added a few touches of their own ( a complete artists studio with visiting lecturers is proving very popular). After checking in and being shown round by Tom, it was unpacking followed by a pre- dinner drink at their honesty bar. Then a wholesome meal of Crab Bisque followed by Herb Crusted Telapia , while I had Chicken Caprese. Their chef had done a fine job and we left the table replete.
A wonderfully peaceful nights sleep was followed by a delicious Vermont breakfast ( the blueberry pancakes were particularly good).
So we left the Landgrove Inn rested, well fed and happy in the knowledge that the " soul of Vermont" was maintaining its rustic charm.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank shorrock41

Been to Landgrove Inn? Share your experiences!