“An Inn for All Seasons”
Review of Landgrove Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Landgrove
Landgrove Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Landgrove B&B and Inns
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“An Inn for All Seasons”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We just booked another winter vacation at the Inn and can’t wait! My husband and I and our three children were thrilled to stumble upon this quintessential Vermont country inn a few years ago, and we’ve been back many times. In the winter, we’ve spent hours cross-country skiing on the inn’s pristine trails and later bundling up for late-night carriage rides through the moonlit woods. One spring we were lucky enough to visit when the town held its annual square dance at the inn’s beautiful artist’s workshop. We’ve hiked, canoed, biked, played tennis, gone antiquing and shopped. And although our activities change with each season, the first-rate amenities and service, outstanding meals and welcoming atmosphere – complete with a roaring fire in the cozy lounge - remain constant. Innkeepers Tom and Maureen are the perfect hosts – anticipating and providing everything we’ve ever needed for a perfect vacation. It’s like visiting family . . . only better.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Irene819

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Lititz, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting this lovely inn this past summer. It has captured my heart. My boyfriend and I stayed here, looking for a relaxing weekend to "get away from it all". This was exactly that, with quaint, rustic accommodations in a serene setting, along a dirt road with no distractions from the busy, noisy world. We did not miss the tv or constant cell phone usage. Views are of a beautiful countryside, horses, babbling brooks, wooded landscape and a pond with a canoe. There was a fire pit for cool evenings. We played tennis every morning, went for uninterrupted jogs on the dirt roads, and relaxed by the pool. Although we did not swim, the pool was clean and clear. We stayed in room 1, which had a very comfortable bed, a sitting area with a fireplace, and a spacious private bath. Every morning we woke to fresh coffee and breakfast made by the innkeeper/owner, Tom, (perfect sunnysideup eggs). Dinners were amazing, we dined with a large party and every night every meal was exceptional...would have been happy with the wine, bread, soup, and salad, but couldn't miss the main course, and dessert, gotta try the pavlova! Before and after dinner we had drinks at the bar in the main room where all guests can gather and chat, along with a game table and the comforting smell of wood burning in the fireplace. Maureen and Tom, the owners, went out of their way to be sure all of their guests were comfortable and satisfied. The staff was friendly and helpful...we were advised of the huge outlet sales and found some great bargains. It was only a few months ago, but I find myself longing to go back. This charming Inn provided unforgettable memories of my first trip to Vermont.

Room Tip: Room 1 was exceptional. Very clean and cozy, included a spacious, updated bathroom with jacuzzi tub...
2 Thank Sharon H
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I needed to express my gratitude to InnKeepers Tom and Maureen for a 4 day getaway that I will remember for a lifetime. This quaint, charming property is the perfect retreat. I was on a vacation with my new girlfriend and we wanted an out of the way place where we could get to know each other, and enjoy the beauty of Vermont. This was the place, besides a resteraunt that is 5 star caliber, the rooms were beautiful and comfortable. We were able to enjoy a run every morning and play tennis in the afternoon. The pool was open but we didnt get an opportunity to swim, however we did enjoy wine and cheese poolside.
The Inn, to our surprise and delight, was hosting an Art show so coupled with a few trips to the Vermont General store and near by outlet stores, we were always busy.
The Landgrove Inn is now a permanent stop for our vacations in Vermont. We can't thank you enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the delux suites and could not have been happier. We did peak into a room or two that w...
1 Thank poppi1022
Morgantown, PA
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My family and I have stayed at the Landgrove Inn many times (6+) and we love it. The owners are wonderful and the staff is equally accommodating. It is a great selection for those wanting to stay off the beaten path and is best suited for those looking for a good place to sleep and eat while they explore during the day all that Vermont has to offer. It is close to several ski mountains, shopping and they offer cross-country skiing at the inn. (Great place for the family to learn cross country skiing.) It is worth pointing out that this is an inn and not a hotel. If you are expecting full service, luxurious rooms and expect to have all the amenities, the Equinox in Manchester is an excellent choice. However, if you want to stay in a country inn with hearty meals, local staff and rooms that are for sleeping after a busy day outside, the Landgrove Inn is for you. The chef makes wonderful dinners and the breakfasts are equally filling. The inn is rustic and is located on a dirt road in the Green Mountains and so you are in the middle of nowhere, but close to many places. Visiting the Landgrove Inn is much like visiting an old family retreat that is well maintained, but has kept its integrity. Cell service is spotty and since the inn is small, guests interact a lot. Children are often spotted in their pajamas playing games in the tavern while adults read by the fire, or have a drink at the bar. There is internet, but frankly we like the idea that the kids won’t be staring at their iPads while on vacation. The Landgrove Inn is truly a gem that will remind many people of their childhood vacations. It is a great selection for modern families desirous to have a vacation from the past, or for anyone else wanting to truly get away from the modern world for a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Craig H
Vermont
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I was present for a wedding here this summer and wow was it astounding. Staff seemed to have no problem whatsoever in being blatantly rude to their guests and to each other in public areas. It was to the point of actually yelling at guests for trying to set up. Yes, I realize that guests setting up for a facility can be a pain for the people working (I have worked a few weddings myself), but I would never in my right mind think it is okay to physically yell at someone who has chosen your establishment for their special day. I do not expect a plastered smile on your face the whole time we are there (weddings are a stressful event to hold for an establishment, I understand that), but civility is reasonable to expect. Until you get here I suppose. Every attempt to address a not-so-nice situation with staff was met with blaming/excuses/and more lashing out. The place was beautiful, but I don't think I will ever be back. Not when many of use were spoken to in such a manner.
Second, the smell. Walking down the hallways and kitchens smelled like my house did when the sewage pump broke. You can imagine.
Third, the cost. Yeesh!!! Not entirely their fault of course. This is actually pretty normal cost for an inn such as this. But man did the checkout hurt, especially because I was not told about the "service charge" when I called to ask about the cost 2 months before the wedding. To their credit it is on the website that they charge that, but I would expect staff to mention it when giving you a flat room rate on the phone.
Forth: Our adjoining room door was open to another room without any way to lock it without contacting the staff. When we opened the door (not knowing where it lead) other peoples stuff was laying around that we should not have had access to, nor them to our things. You can see the problem here.
Positives: Showers worked fine. They were hot and no pressure problems. Room was comfortably warm. Land was beautiful. Towels and linens were clean. Wifi worked fine if you were in the lobby, but we were told that beforehand and the lobby is great anyway.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank cwest2013
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
It's obvious at this point that the wedding party from our recent event has decided to take revenge on us for not letting them turn the Landgrove Inn into a frat house for the weekend by trashing us one be one on Trip Advisor. I would hope that anyone not familiar with us who reads these reviews realizes that we will remain as vigilant in the future to make sure that their stay is not ruined by such sophomoric behavior.
Attleboro, Ma
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I'm actually surprised to see so many positive reviews. First off, let's cover the things for which the Landgrove Inn does NOT get credit for. The setting is beautiful; the scenery and surrounding countryside are shining examples of why I love Vermont. The property is old, and quaint, and charming. And, given the location, it's no fault of the Inn's that there is no cell reception.

The staff, though? I'm surprised to see them praised; especially Tom. I have ten years of experience in the hotel business, and I've been traveling the U.S and internationally for years. I have never met a more surly, less inhospitable innkeeper than Tom. He was, in a word, rude. I was at the Landgrove Inn for a wedding; this means that the property was 100% booked by one group, and in addition to full occupancy the Landgrove Inn took in food/beverage/function space revenue for both the rehearsal dinner AND the reception; an occasion for an innkeeper to be happy and solicitous, one would think. Not Tom.

Were we rowdy? Was there drinking? It was a wedding. But I've been to dozens of weddings, and on the whole this one was very well behaved. No parties in rooms, no foolish stunts. Just dancing, drinking, music, laughter, and a late night by the bonfire. I saw nothing that I could imagine would upset an innkeeper who was willing to book weddings in the first place. So why so unpleasant? It's a mystery.

Most of his staff seemed to follow suit; they were at best curt, and in many cases surprisingly blunt or rude. The absence of 'please' and 'thank you' from the inn staff was obvious. I will call out only one exception: Carl. Carl worked the wedding reception to the very end, and was up and serving at breakfast the next morning; the whole time he was pleasant and helpful. He should give lessons to his colleagues.

The room: it's an old building with old furniture and fixtures. No problems there; it's what you expect. But, there were some cleanliness problems. There was mildew and cobwebs on corners of the bathroom ceiling, an ugly amount of dust on the exhaust fan, and the water pressure/temperature in the shower was extremely variable; fine one minute, a bare trickle the next (we had two plumbers in our party for the weekend, and they attribute this to the piping not being done correctly to deal with variable demand). Both of the bath towels had some stains on them; I'm sure not a health hazard, but certainly not pleasant.

The inn itself: sometimes age camouflages lack of maintenance. I won't call out many specifics in the common areas, except for the smell. A couple of the corridors in the inn had a terrible smell, something like an open drain line or a bad grease trap in a kitchen. Very unpleasant. And the pool? There is no pool. It's an ex-pool slowly evolving into a frog pond. The pool liner is torn and drooping into the water; we counted several live newts in the pool.

What did this experience cost me? $165 a night. Plus a 10% 'service' charge (hah). Plus 9% VT tax. Plus who knows how much spent by my friends on their wedding. Worth every penny to be with my friends on their special day; but a terrible value for what the inn (and its staff, and its keeper) delivered.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank treetoe
Ownertom, Owner at Landgrove Inn, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
I am not surprised to see this review. Especially after the behavior of the wedding party at our last event. Weddings are a small part of our business and unfortunately, due to the age and immaturity in this case, of the participants and the drinking that usually starts at 11am each day, they are the most stressful. What upset this particular group was the fact that the Dram Shop laws in the state of Vermont do not allow outside alcohol at a licensed event. While I cautioned the wedding couple prior to the event that this had been an issue at another wedding this summer and that we would be very vigilant regarding this issue, it still occurred. Age was not a factor. They were free to drink whatever they wanted during the day in their rooms, which they freely did, but once the event started, they would not be allowed to bring outside alcoholic beverages not into the reception hall. What really upset this group was that they asked that I look the other way while they broke the law, like a bunch of spoiled children and I refused point blank. It wasn't like the bride and groom hadn't provided all the beer and wine they could want, they wanted to drink their own liquor and didn't seem to care that I told them it was not allowed and endangered our livelihood.. While a catered event, like a wedding, is happening the staff and owners are responsible for the alcohol consumption and any mishaps that might occur endanger the livelihoods of all involved, a small matter that didn't mean much to this individual. Yes, our swimming pool needs a new liner and was already closed for the season by the time this event occurred.
I think the reviewer needs to grow up and stop acting like a juvenile. I'm glad we've seen the last of him.
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great dining in this slightly out of the way Inn. The first class food and country ambiance are well worth the trip. The duck is the best in the area and I have returned there many times. One of my favorites in this area. Tom is a great host & I recommend this place to my friends.

1 Thank retirededward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Landgrove
Grafton Inn
#1 of 4 in Londonderry
Snowdon Chalet
Snowdon Chalet
#1 of 3 in Londonderry

Been to Landgrove Inn? Share your experiences!