“Liberty Hill at Navarro Mills Lake”
Review of Navarro Mills Lake

Navarro Mills Lake
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Corsicana
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Liberty Hill at Navarro Mills Lake is one of the best maintained, cleanest Corp of Engineer parks we have ever camped at. This is our regular go-to place. We love it. Oak Park, across the lake, is our second favorite. Some years, we spend as many as 6 weekends at Liberty Hill and usually choose it for our week long summer camping trips with the grand kids. The attendants and rangers are always friendly and helpful. We fish; with mixed results. We have caught enough for a fish fry, yet sometimes not. Good, clean swimming area. The park can get full and busy, but we have never had a problem with excessive noise or disruptions at any time. The campsites are large; the grand kids can run and play without disrupting our neighbors. I recommend this park.

3  Thank gondrej
"ice"
"fishing"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Have been to Wolf Creek twice. Just got home from our second visit there. (We normally stay at Oak Park). Was very impressed with this campground. Spacious sites with view of the lake. Lots of trees, water and electric. Covered picnic table and fire pit/grill. Paved sites. Very relaxing. The Park Hosts were extremely friendly and keep the campground well maintained. Peggy's Place is just up the road....gas/small grocery store/bait and a very good little café also. Have very good food and staff is very friendly. Great place to stay if you want some good peace and quiet with nature. Have a 32' 5 Wheel with 3 slide outs and there was plenty of room with extra left over.

3  Thank asimpleheart
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have stayed at this park a couple of times in the past and enjoyed it. The host at the gate was always friendly and you'd find yourself stopping just to chat a while when you were coming in & out. We havent been there in just over a year and went back this past May with a group. I knew the former gate family was changed - as they do - and found the current people to be ok, helpful, but nothing outstanding comes to mind during check in. We had one interaction with the Park Ranger and he was a hoot ! Great guy.
As I said, we were with a group this time and this was the first time to use the group facility there. The covered pavillion area was GREAT - really large, lots of electrical outlets, lots of tables, a big firepit area, and a super large grill/smoker. The smoker was utilized all weekend as well. At one point we were cooking smoked beer-butt chickens and I think they got about 14 on the grill at one time. There was plenty of room for everyone to sit & visit, eat, move around, whatever you wanted to do.
A little disappointment was in the camping part of the trip. There weren't any camping sites in the immediate grassy area of the group pavilion ; a few people in our group threw up tents but that was all they had - no water or electrical hookups....and you certainly couldn't drive or park a travel trailer onto the grass and be near the pavilion. The only 4 sites for trailer camping were on the concrete parking lot nearby. So we were parked on concrete and having to negotiate with car traffic...especially if anyone was coming or going thru the parking lot for lake access. I have been to other parks group areas and they are usually regular RV/trailer parking with hookups in a circle around the group area. It 'worked' I guess, but not a real interesting experience

We had read about the ant problem and brought spray...sprayed the hose and electrical cord and all parts of the trailer that had ground contact and had no issues at all.
The only real issue was with the restroom. There was only one in this area and it was pretty run down. As a seasoned camper I usually use the parks restrooms for showers to save room in the trailer's grey water tank. Its almost a necessity if you are going to stay more than a couple of days. And having camped here at Navarro Mills we have used the restroom facilities in the past. But the one in this section was dirty for the 3 days we were there. There was no trash can of any kind anywhere in or near the building . The sinks didn't work. And one look in the shower area scared me to death. It needed cleaning ( even on Friday when we arrived ) and the tiles were broken, grout was black & nasty, and the faucets were grungy. I wouldn't step in there, much less touch anything. I didn't know if the whole park has gone downhill, or only this section, as we didn't visit the other facility in Oak Park.
As we left on Sunday the man at the gate was standing out in the roadway near the gatehouse, stopping people, demanding their windshield notice back. It certainly wasn't a 'problem' taking off the slip of paper and turning it in but I had never had anyone do that before. ??
Directly across the road from the park is a place selling ice and offering fish cleaning for your catch for a very reasonable price - if you aren't inclined to do it yourself. Other than that there is no store in the immediate area. You have to go into Dawson but that's only a couple miles down the road.

1  Thank CarolDEnnis
Reviewed 12 June 2014

For a day or overnight trip that you can afford and enjoy a view of the water this is a great place. I am like the rest conflicted to tell people about it. For those who are looking for entertainment, not tranquility this will not be your cup of tea. Sometimes in the winter i will take my travel trailer out for the day and park it up by the water and sit there snug in my trailer, reading a book and listening to the waves lap the bank. Others like the summer, I like the winter when I don't have to share.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We decided to try out Liberty Hills camp ground at Navarro Mills Lake, Corp of engineers lake, it is a large lake very well kept with nice camp grounds, covered picnic table and large camp sites. They do have an ant problem but just bring some ant killer with you and they stay away. We stayed in #62 and it was great. We had very little luck with fishing though, the site was on a small ledge so had to travel a little to get to a shore line. Fish just were not biting and we tried shrimp, worms & stink bait. Next time we will camp across the lake at Oak Park and see how that goes. Was a quiet and peaceful place to stay, though.

Been to Navarro Mills Lake? Share your experiences!