Holiday Inn Express
US$92
Excellent 5/5
US$101
Great 4.5/5
Executive Inn Cotulla(Cotulla)(Great Value!)
US$78
Great 4.5/5
Baymont Inn & Suites Cotulla(Cotulla)(Great Value!)
US$59
Very Good 4/5
US$67
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
Great 4.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Who would've thunk it...an HIE well off the "beaten" path, but "workin' it" like it was in a World Class City!

We found ourselves heading towards Laredo for a business process, and although it was almost last-minute, Laredo provided us very few financially-responsible options (for that kind of City). So, the objective was to find reasonable accommodations as close to Laredo as possible, and where we would feel safe and have a pleasant night (or two) out-of-town in preparation for a very important process that would happen at the Border. This HIE met (and exceeded) our expectations - and the results at the Border were a success!

From the moment we arrived - that first interaction would be with Stephanie and another gentlemen - we were in for a great experience. Stephanie accommodated each specific request I had (high floor, close to the elevator, any IHG upgrades available? etc...). Back and forth, question-after-question, request-after-request, and each time I was afforded a response that would satisfy me.

The room was perfectly sized for my daughter and I; the room was very clean, fresh-smelling, well-appointed for our needs, sized-right, and everything worked "almost" flawlessly (more on that later...).

Breakfast was more than ample, with hot items (eggs, sausage patties, biscuits, gravy, bacon); the famous HIE cinnamon rolls; plenty of bread options, 4 cereals, an automatic pancake maker, 3 juices (orange, apple, cranberry), yogurts, 3 different milks (including chocolate!), instant oatmeal, several coffees, hot-chocolate, and on-and-on. The breakfast attendants were EXTREMELY efficient - ALWAYS restocking whatever was removed, and very willing to provide "To Go" bags and containers. With occupancy nowhere near "busy", breakfast was NEVER crowded, and there were plenty of tables and a pleasant "family room" area in front of the TV for an even more comfortable experience!

The outdoor spa was awesomely hot (yay for me!!!), and the pool was incredibly cold (yet my daughter STILL went in - how she did, I don't know!). The grounds were very clean and well-kept, save for the parking lot which did have some post-construction materials from the surrounding properties - where construction was everywhere!

Minor matters you might be interested in: The building is occupied by Oil-industry workers. I will say this, though: they were very polite, well-behaved, and probably mostly on the first floor - as we rarely saw anyone likely related to the "grunt work" aspect of the industry on our floor - the third - which I think is generally kept for IHG members. The area, while appearing safe, is generally scarce of resources within walking distance - ie, fast-food restaurants, other hotels, but that's about it. We didn't try any of the fast-food options (a Mexican option, fried chicken option, and another sit-down/table-service Mexican option), so I can't advise. However, within a short driving distance is gas-stations, truck-stops, grocery store, Family Dollar, etc.

The one room issue we did have, which wound-up being a very pleasant experience: it seemed our room keys kept "dying" on us, and we needed them to be re-keyed several times. I purposely kept them in pockets with nothing else, so as to reduce any kind of possible de-magnetizing of the bar-code. Still, no success. Then, finally, it happened on the second night - a Sunday - AT night! We couldn't get in the door at all! Not remade keys, not the master key - NOTHING would work. Would you believe, the battery now on the door mechanism had died. But did you think that was going to be a panic-moment? Nope - not if HIE was going to do something about it! They called in an 'On-call' building maintenance fella who showed-up maybe 10 minutes later...accompanied us back to our room, used a special gadget to force the lock open, and within minutes swapped out the batteries to the device like a NASCAR pit-stop crewman, and that was the end of it! It "cost" the HIE an item from their Pantry store as compensation (SCORE! :P), but the entire incident - while inconvenient - was handled awesomely, and we were no-worse-for-the-wear!

Who would've thunk such a wonderful stay could happen in a town called "Cotulla"...in the middle of Oil Country!

Thank you HIE - Cotulla! We had a very pleasant stay, which made for a comfortable experience at the Border - which was a success!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank northerndynasty
Julian M, Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2015

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your loyalty as an IHG® Rewards Club member. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. A positive guest experience is something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

While Cotulla is not probably on many people's vacation itineraries, if you should end up there for business, or whatever, I recommend this hotel. I stay in my share of HIE's while travelling for business, and this location is definitely a safe bet. Due to all the oil workers in the area, the crowd may be a little rough looking sometimes, and there may be mud on the carpets occasionally, but the personnel their work really hard to keep everything in top shape. This location is not brand new, but is fairly new, and everything is up to date. My bed slept very well, the AC's kept the room nice and cold(no small task on some of the hot summer days there!). The breakfast is standard fare for HIE's, eggs, sausage or bacon, biscuits, gravy, breads, yogurts, pancakes, and some whole fruits. In the evenings, there are usually some Otis Spunkmeyer cookies served. All in all, this is a nice Holiday Inn Express, not the best I've been too, but certainly up to the HIE standard and a comfortable place to stay. Oh yes, the rooms are definitely pricey, but this is due to all the oil field workers in the area. There are several other hotels either recently opened or being constructed in the area. I think maybe the prices will go down some, once there is more competition in the area.

Room Tip: I haven't had any bad rooms in multiple stays at this location. You might want to avoid rooms close to the stairways to avoid some noise from doors opening and closing, but this hasn't been a big deal for me even while staying in the room beside the stairs several times.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisnSherry

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a half a dozen times. It's a brand new property. Everything from the lobby to the rooms is in mint condition. The service from all the staff has always been professional and friendly. The breakfast is well attended to by the staff every morning. Unlike the Super 8 across the street, they've never failed to honor a reservation, which is important given that the hotels in this area book up because of the oil patch activity: it's well located for work in the western portion of the Eagle Ford. The WiFi works fine and the gym is great. There's a full service restaurant and two fast food restaurants within 2 minutes' walking distance. The only complaint is the high rate. Our company recently chose the Best Western Plus in Carrizo Springs over this property for a 9-day stay because of the rate. Other than that, it's perfect for the business traveler.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 May 2013

The HIE Cotulla is a newer hotel and afforded a great stay. Being a Priority Club member I place a great deal of opinion on the front desk staff professionalism on arrival. The front desk team was by the book with greeting by name, recognizing my status, describing property amenities and providing additional information when asked. The hotel interior and exterior is spotless considering the number of field workers (not an insult as dirt is part of the job). The rooms are spacious and comfortable and have all the perks with microwave, fridge and a large TV with a vast selection of channels. The hotel WiFi was adequate and helped greatly as I normally use an air card for work. This area has poor to no cellular data to support using an air card so be prepared. I prefer my room to be freshened up every day and found no reason to complain considering the high quality of work performed by the housekeeping staff. The one issue that keeps this hotel from receiving top marks from me is the morning breakfast. While the food was standard HIE offering, the solo breakfast attendant was just unable to keep up with the patron levels. It seems most guests leave the hotel around 7 which means a heavy demand for the first hour. Every day three of four coffee pots were empty and it was a race to keep food in the warmer. The hotel management should consider adding a second attendant to the breakfast service. Room cost was actually reasonable considering every half way decent hotel for 60 miles any direction is booked solid at prices upward of 250 a night. Being able to book a room at this new hotel at a much lower price point combined with the pleasant staff and cleanliness is a win.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I came to visit my husband who is here working. The hotel is great! The beds are plush and comfortable, good size 2-queen room with a desk, microwave and fridge. The bathroom is a good size with shower/tub. The staff is friendly, and great service. The breakfast area is clean and great food! They have free wifi, a good size pool, business center with 2 computers, and an EXCELLENT workout room. All the workout equipment have TVs attached and chargers for your iPhone/electronics. I would def stay here again!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo