“Friendly Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Description: 806-244-2424 Phone
Description: 806-244-2424 Phone
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Your basic dinner that is open 24-hours...long after the rest of the streets are rolled up in the tiny Texas town. The staff is friendly; but, just remember where you are...this is not a gourmet destination.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

My wife and I stopped for breakfast on our way out of town headed for Colorado. Most of the folks in the restaurant appeared to be locals, which is always reassuring to me. We both got the Chicken Fried Steak (which is supposed to have originated here) breakfast plate and both enjoyed it very much.

The waitress was a little bit hassled as she seemed to be working by herself. But she did not let that get in the way of providing us with good service and friendly conversation. The "Tip-O-Matic" never moved off 20%!

1  Thank lowboync
Reviewed 14 May 2010

The Sands Restaurant has been serving "comfort food" for decades in Dalhart. It has seen better times (I remember them from the 60's!), so the booths have some cracks in the seats, and the waitresses have not had a "Waitressing 101" course that you may be accustomed to at an Applebees...but the food (if you are not a Vegan) is well proportioned, hot, and just plain good...like most of the locals having conversations about farming or ranching. I always go for their Chicken Fried Steak, which someone said was invented at the Sands. Whether or not that is true, I do not know. I do know however that it is one of the best CFS's I've had anywhere. Very reasonable prices too.

The next time you are passing through Dalhart on U.S. 54....walk in the door...at the Sands Restaurant!

2  Thank NM_Photojournalist