“A friendly smile goes a long way...”

Extended Stay America - Dallas - Frankford Road
Ranked #111 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“A friendly smile goes a long way...”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel April/2012 for about a month in a two bedroom suite while waiting for my newly purchased home to be ready for move in. I'm normally a Westin, Crowne Plaza type of gal but I wanted a more of an apartment living setting rather than a hotel so I chose this property, not judging the ratings. I must say, I really enjoyed my stayed. The location is nice, the rooms are clean and very suitable for living, and MAJORITY of the staff was polite and helpful. Except KALINA, the front desk agent that checked me in. She did not smile once and drilled the "party" rules to me like she was certain I was there to party. I am a young, attractive 24 year old but does that automatically qualify me as a "party animal" whenever I check into a hotel? And that's the way Kalina treated me which was very offensive especially since I was checking in with my husband and two kids. A couple of days of her being off was wonderful and relaxing. Every employee I saw smiled and spoke then I have to go down to the front desk one day and there she is with her frowning face...ugh so uninviting but I had to pay for my room so I couldn't avoid her. Anyway, after staying for 2 weeks and paying $120 a day I politely asked was there any way I could get a discounted weekly rate. Her answer was simple without eye contact, "No, we don't give discounts anymore." I've NEVER heard of any hotels NOT giving some sort of discount, but anyway "the clerk is ALWAYS right" so I didn't argue, just said "My husband will talk to the manager to see if hopefully we can get something good for the week." Her response in a sarcastic way, "well, if he wants to talk to me have him come down." I then stated I didn't know she was a manager(since she wore the same uniform as the other clerks). She told me she just handles all front desk matters and told me the managers name, which I forgot. I told her that's who my husband would speak with and she told me the only one who would be able to give us a discount would be corporate and even then it would only be like $5. Ok, the discount wasn't an issue. Not something that would make or break us (we're extremely well off) but it's always good to get a savings, so why not ask. I'm not a rude person or even one to complain, but it's uncomfortable to check into an extended-stay hotel and not feel welcomed or appreciated since the GUEST are the reason they're in business and all of the staff gets paid. Besides my encounter with Kalina I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially for long term.

Room Tip: The two bed suite
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Extended Stay America - Dallas - Frankford Road, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Dallas - Plano. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2012

What a beautiful property! I give this property the highest rating possible for an extended stay hotel (that doesn't cost more in a week than it would cost to buy a used car). Customer service is absolutely astounding. The room came with a queen size bed, two night stands, a dresser, a table, a stove top with two burners, kitchen sink, cabinets, dishes, pots, pans, eating utensils, cups, bowls, cooking utensils etc. It also features a full sized refrigerator/freezer (which in itself saves you a ton of money just on dining out alone).

The bathroom was full sized as if it were an apartment and not a hotel room. It had a bath/shower combo and storage under the sink. It also came with a closet with plenty of room (Not walk in sized but big enough), and an ironing board and iron.

Everything about this hotel makes you feel at home. The people at the front desk are very courteous and never fail to make sure that everything you need is taken care of. If you call them to ask them for something they always ask if you have any additional issues and follow up in a very prompt manner. They don't avoid you like most hotels staff do. They make you feel as if they want to make your life easier. Kind, calm, collected and always ready to assist.

I will definitely be visiting this hotel again. Consider this a RAVE review..of the property AND the staff. (My stay will end March 28th 2012 and I can tell you, I'm going to miss it here)

The only bad thing I could possibly say about this hotel is that the onsite laundry is way to expensive. It's $2 to wash one load and $2 to dry one load (and typically, at least in my case, I needed to dry them twice, so you're looking at a total cost for one load to be 4-6 dollars), but the good part is, you don't have to haul them to other locations..it's all right there on the property.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 18 June 2011

As a low price providor, the conveniences and cleanliness are comparable to a 2 1/2 star although rated 2 star. The kitchen is a bonus. The pool, hot tub and excercise facilities are sufficient. This location is safe, rather new and the staff is lovely. I brought my own linens as I'm re-locating, which was useful the sheets and bedding are sub-par. No complaints, all the modern creature comforts and a nice breakfast. I was upgraded to a double queen, the room is far larger than I could have imagined. Within a very short walk to the grocery store and restaraunts was nice. An added convenience is the close-in proximity to West Plano and the tollway. I would stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side or inside room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VECooper
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I have stayed at the Homestead Studio Suites for more than 2 weeks. The room was spotless upon move in and was throughly cleaned during my stay. The shower and bathroom look renovated and were clean as a whistle. The staff is professional and courteous at all times and could not have been be more helpful. As a business traveler, I can honestly say that I have stayed in hotels that cost 5 times as much that were not near as clean or accomodating as the Homestead Studio Suites in Plano. The grounds are appealing and the lobby, though not fancy, is inviting. If you are looking to stay at a fancy hotel with a 5-star restaurant that will empty your bank account, this is not the place for you. There is cozy dining area w/TV that can be used at any time, however, it is used primarily in the morning for a small, complementary continental breakfast. There is free coffee 24 hours per day. The internet WIFI system works very well from your room and the cost is only $4.95 for your entire stay. If you are in fact looking for a place like home, at a bargain price, then this is your gem in the rough.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank USAFretired1
Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Had the misfortune of a very extended stay (6 weeks) at the Homestead Studio Suites at 18470 North Dallas Parkway.

The location was chosen by my employer's relocation contractor. I have since recommended my employer cease doing business with this relo company, since no professional would recommend this place.

Just to be clear, this place clearly hedges its bets by including both studio and suite in the name. Though I was promised a spacious suite with separate living area, I actually got an oversize single room. Though this place bills itself as for business travelers, there was neither a desk nor desk chair in the room. There was a small coffee-table-like table and what looked like a chair from a dining room suite. In short, this is not a room that any reasonable professional can get work done in, unless you like working -- doing absolutely everything, actually -- on the bed. And frankly, I am not into that kind of work.

The wifi was very inexpensive ($4.99 for the entire stay), however there were long stretches 4-5 days at a time) when it was not working properly, and no one at the hotel was able to offer assistance.

The kitchenette contains a full-size refrigerator, microwave, 2 electric burners, dishwasher, toaster, coffee maker, one pot, one pan, and tableware for 2. None of this is fancy, but it was serviceable -- except, unfortunately, for the fact that neither the fridge nor microwave had been cleaned when I moved it. There were caked on remnants of food inside both.

Housekeeping is scheduled for weekly service. On more than one occasion they failed to do basic cleaning. Once the "new" towels were visibly soiled. Another time, a bug had clearly been squashed with my alarm clock, then left, bug-side-up, on the nightstand. When I brought that disgusting sight to the front desk, I was offered a single Lysol wet cloth to clean down the clock and stand myself. (No apologies, no new alarm clock no housekeeping to clean it up.) One week housekeeping did not show at all; instead, I received a note under my door indicating that they were shortstaffed and therefore there would be no housekeeping for the week.

I had the misfortune of being on the 1st floor, and despite numerous requests, including indications that I felt unsafe, was refused another room. The reason for feeling unsafe is because the entire wall of my room was a window, which contained no special security or extra locks, and which did not even have the standard privacy curtain -- just one set of heavy, musty drapes that did not close all the way. When asked (repeatedly) about installing privacy curtain (there was a 2nd curtain railing in the window sill, so presumably there had been one at some point), I was told that someone would get back to me but no one did.

The shuttle service is extremely limited and unreliable. It runs at 7:30 and 8:30am and at 5:30 and 6:30pm. Although the driver claims to be on premises all day (hence his frequently complaints to passengers about what long days he has), the hotel refuses to offer shuttle service at any other time, even when multiple guests request the service going to the same location. Although guests are asked to sign up in advance for shuttle service with name, destination and room number, this list is rarely referenced; the driver frequently left at whatever time he felt (7:20, 7:40) without regard for whether everyone who had signed up was on board. On more than one occasion I arrived in the lobby at 7:25 to be told the shuttle had already left and I would need to wait til 8:30. Conversely, on more than one occasion the evening shuttle failed to appear. The frequent excuse was that the driver went to the wrong location, even though whenever I signed up I put not just the destination name but physical address as well.

Because this was arranged by my employer, I am not sure the rate, but the advertised rate (on the outdoors sign) was ~$55/night, which is absolutely laughable. No one should pay more than $19.95 for this place, and even then only when in dire straits.

In an effort to end on a positive note: The location is quite good. If you are staying for an extended time, it is half a block from a grocery store and quite near several good, inexpensive restaurants. It is also right off the tollway and convenient to most locations in Addison, Plano, and a quick drive from downtown Dallas. There are, of course, a number of other hotels that can make this same claim.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank lil_drama
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2010

When I arrived, James was professional and personable and made my check-in a breeze. This hotel is very nice and clean and the amenities are great. Nice pool area and everyone there was friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank vrgrant02
Panama City, FL
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I was traveling from Florida to Amarillo, Texas and stayed at the Homestead Studio Suites Dallas-Plano. I booked this hotel on priceline on Name your own price and got it for 20 dollars a night. I know, I know I shouldn't complain. However, the bed wich was a FULL not a queen was hard as the tile in the bathroom. It did, indeed have a full kitchen but no oven. The bathroom was nice and big. The housekeeping could hav been a little better. Dust in the corners of the room. The carpet looks like it needs a good cleaning. I was looking forward to having a good night sleep after driving for 14 hours. The bed had 2 pillows. When my husband went and asked for an extra he was told they didn't have any. The hotel looks like a new hotel, very clean and pretty on the outside, nice and close to everything. The breakfast is a joke. There were stale bagles, cream cheese and coffee. Thats it, no cereal or anything...The room served its purpose and for 20 dollars I can't complain...but the staff could have been more helful.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nursechristi22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
The Highland Dallas
The Highland Dallas
#12 of 204 in Dallas
Extended Stay America - Dallas - Vantage Point Dr.
Crossland Economy Studios - Dallas - North Addison - Tollway
Fairfield Inn & Suites Dallas Plano
Comfort Inn Near Plano Medical Center
Extended Stay America - Dallas - Plano Parkway

Been to Extended Stay America - Dallas - Frankford Road? Share your experiences!