“Perfect hotel for visiting SMU”
Review of The Lumen

The Lumen
Ranked #42 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent one night when I took my son to visit SMU. The staff is both friendly and efficient. It took under a minute to retrieve our car from the valet whenever we needed it. Our room was comfortable and clean and had a fun vibe. Since it is directly across the street from campus, you can't beat the location for an SMU visit. Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious. If my son ends up attending SMU, I won't even look for another hotel when I visit that area of Dallas again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Location, Location, Location..... We are excited that you had a great experience while here at the Lumen, we wish your son good luck with his choice of Universities and we hope that SMU is in his future. You can then come on back and relax a little while here in Texas....

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had originally booked a two night stay at this hotel for a business trip, and was looking forward to staying at a Kimpton property in Dallas. All of the Kimpton hotels I've stayed at have been fantastic.

The Hotel Lumen is situated right across from SMU in the heart of the University Park neighborhood, which is a clean historic area of Dallas. The hotel is well appointed, has friendly staff, and a nice restaurant and bar.

My room was on the second floor, and nicely furnished, but the layout was a bit odd, with the shower facing the bed, and the sink and vanity on the opposite wall. However, the shower had several nozzles and rendered a nice massage!

I would stay here again, as it was quiet, comfortable, and in line with what I've come to expect from Kimpton.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DiamondTrimOC

Thank you for taking the time to write this review for the Lumen, I am happy to hear you had a great time during your stay with us. We hope that you will continue to make the Lumen your home away from home while visiting the Dallas area. See you Soon!!

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised. This little gem rivals any of the big names in terms of quality and service. Clean, spacious rooms, modern amenities, and a car service up and down the strip. You could hear a pin drop, but nearby school was on spring break, so not sure how noisy it is when the campus is bustling. Hotel restaurant was outstanding and the fitness center had a nice balance of machines and weights. Stayed Fri-Sun and was sorry to leave.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jesse_Holland

So happy to hear that you had a great experience here at the Lumen, we take pride in our guest service and our product. To hear you say that we beat the big name hotels in this area is always great to pass on to our staff memebers. They love to take care of our guests and it shows on a daily basis, thanks again for taking the time to write this survey and we hope to see you soon......

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I organized a weekend retreat for a small group of women and chose the Hotel Lumen. It was an excellent choice. My dealings with all the staff--the event planners [Elizabeth & Kaley], the event staff [Rosa & Carina], the Front Room general manager Brown, and waitstaff [Lacey & John], the front desk and the valets--were friendly, professional and caring. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated with the best service I have ever received during this type of event.
The food was delicious at every meal, even the snack breaks we had were deliciously healthy and not run of the mill. The facilities, food, and service added to our ability to focus on our work in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.
I would, and will, definitely recommend the Hotel Lumen for any small group events that I am a part of in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

So happy to hear that your group experience went very well and that you took the time during your review to give our employees a few shout outs. This is great and I will of course be sharing with my team during the next employee meeting. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope that the Lumen will always be your choice hotel while working or playing in Dallas.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed two nights at the Hotel Lumen and had one of the best experiences ever. My room was immaculate, and the service was spectacular. I am vegan, and the chef made certain that I had a gourmet breakfast, lunch, and dinner (No boring plate of steamed vegetables here!) even though vegan dishes were not on the menu. That is rare. I loved this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an enclosed bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Barbara B

Love to hear your comments and yes, our Chef ROCKS. So glad that he could accommodate your needs and exceed your expectations, we look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review, the teal appreciates it very much.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed in Dallas during the Christmas to New Years Week. I wanted to be close to Highland park Village.
This hotel came up on the Map as being really Close. It is right across from SMU. They have a shuttle service that will take you to Highland Park to shop. And come back and pick you up.

It is the most wonderful little mid-century jewel. I absolutely loved it. If you love a smaller place and want to be in that part of town and want a place that is Pet friendly. This place is for you.

The staff was wonderful and so personable. I forgot to clean out my safe and when i left town they called me before i got too far to let me know that they had my things. So nice.

I am definately going to make this my Home away from Home in Dallas.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

We are so excited you enjoyed your time here at our little hidden jewel, as we love it as well. I am happy that we can and will continue to make your visits and holidays just a little more special moving forward. We look forward to seeing you soon, and to welcome you Home......

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The stay started off a little rough. I thought I had booked two rooms but apparently modified my original reservation instead. Robyn was great and bailed me out. Andrew was stellar. House staff provided prompt service. Nice heated pool. I would certainly stay again if needing a place near SMU, which is right across the street.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

We are so happy you enjoyed your time with Team Lumen, we hope to see you again soon. Thanks for taking the time to write your review, it means a lot to us as a team and hotel.