“What a Gem!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Reston, Virginia
“What a Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I'm a long time Kimpton Hotel fan and have stayed in quite a few of their properties around the country. Years ago I had stayed at the Lumen and was very disappointed and as a result when I found myself in Dallas I would always choose to stay at the Palomar and never really gave the Lumen another thought. UNTIL NOW...this hotel has undergone an amazing transformation! It is just FABULOUS. The hotel has that small boutique feel but has everything you need to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. The central courtyard of the hotel has a lovely pool with cabanas and plenty of umbrellas for those who seek to escape for the strong Texas sun.

The room was decorated in a classic funky Kimpton style. It was very comfortable. The bathroom was well sized and sleek and clean in style. Some of the rooms have fantastic balconies that overlook SMU or the pool area.

The hotel is situated right across the street from SMU's campus. You can walk to many shops, restaurants and jogging/biking trails from the hotel.

The hotel staff members were all very friendly and accommodating and seemed genuinely glad to assist. I have to say: I think the Lumen is my new "Go To" hotel when visiting Dallas.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Love hearing this, we thank you so much for taking the time to write such a review and are happy that you call us your home. I will make sure I allow all the employees to review and read these words so that they know and hear what a great job they are doing.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Hidden charmingly in Park Cities, Hotel Lumen delivers a beyond exceptional stay! Spacious rooms provide a quiet retreat from city hustle, bustle, and noise. Hotel Lumen’s comfort is only exceeded by its attentive and accommodating staff. When you book your stay, don’t forget to plan an evening in The Front Room, the hotel restaurant. The Front Room’s relaxing ambiance, superb food choices, and top-notch service will definitely add to your stay. My colleagues and I left pleasantly surprised after our weekend retreat. Simply stated - Hotel Lumen, beyond exceptional!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review we really appreciate it, I am blessed with a great staff and they always take great care of our guests. Thanks again for making the Lumen your home away from home and we hope to see you back soon.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Lumen for 1 night for a friend's wedding at Perkins Chapel at SMU campus. The location is very convenient to SMU, literally right across the street. As with all Kimpton hotels, evening wine reception was fabulous (enjoyed the little snacks). Great value for this part of town.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Glad to hear that you had a great time and enjoyed a little wine while here at the Lumen, hope to see you soon. Please let us know if there are any special little snacks we can have out for you during the next wine hour....
Newport Beach, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent one night when I took my son to visit SMU. The staff is both friendly and efficient. It took under a minute to retrieve our car from the valet whenever we needed it. Our room was comfortable and clean and had a fun vibe. Since it is directly across the street from campus, you can't beat the location for an SMU visit. Breakfast in the restaurant was delicious. If my son ends up attending SMU, I won't even look for another hotel when I visit that area of Dallas again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Location, Location, Location..... We are excited that you had a great experience while here at the Lumen, we wish your son good luck with his choice of Universities and we hope that SMU is in his future. You can then come on back and relax a little while here in Texas....
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had originally booked a two night stay at this hotel for a business trip, and was looking forward to staying at a Kimpton property in Dallas. All of the Kimpton hotels I've stayed at have been fantastic.

The Hotel Lumen is situated right across from SMU in the heart of the University Park neighborhood, which is a clean historic area of Dallas. The hotel is well appointed, has friendly staff, and a nice restaurant and bar.

My room was on the second floor, and nicely furnished, but the layout was a bit odd, with the shower facing the bed, and the sink and vanity on the opposite wall. However, the shower had several nozzles and rendered a nice massage!

I would stay here again, as it was quiet, comfortable, and in line with what I've come to expect from Kimpton.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DiamondTrimOC
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review for the Lumen, I am happy to hear you had a great time during your stay with us. We hope that you will continue to make the Lumen your home away from home while visiting the Dallas area. See you Soon!!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised. This little gem rivals any of the big names in terms of quality and service. Clean, spacious rooms, modern amenities, and a car service up and down the strip. You could hear a pin drop, but nearby school was on spring break, so not sure how noisy it is when the campus is bustling. Hotel restaurant was outstanding and the fitness center had a nice balance of machines and weights. Stayed Fri-Sun and was sorry to leave.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jesse_Holland
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
So happy to hear that you had a great experience here at the Lumen, we take pride in our guest service and our product. To hear you say that we beat the big name hotels in this area is always great to pass on to our staff memebers. They love to take care of our guests and it shows on a daily basis, thanks again for taking the time to write this survey and we hope to see you soon......
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I organized a weekend retreat for a small group of women and chose the Hotel Lumen. It was an excellent choice. My dealings with all the staff--the event planners [Elizabeth & Kaley], the event staff [Rosa & Carina], the Front Room general manager Brown, and waitstaff [Lacey & John], the front desk and the valets--were friendly, professional and caring. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated with the best service I have ever received during this type of event.
The food was delicious at every meal, even the snack breaks we had were deliciously healthy and not run of the mill. The facilities, food, and service added to our ability to focus on our work in a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.
I would, and will, definitely recommend the Hotel Lumen for any small group events that I am a part of in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
LumDalGM, General Manager at The Lumen, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
So happy to hear that your group experience went very well and that you took the time during your review to give our employees a few shout outs. This is great and I will of course be sharing with my team during the next employee meeting. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope that the Lumen will always be your choice hotel while working or playing in Dallas.