“3-1/2 stars: Great for conference but better maintenance/updating needed”

InterContinental Dallas
Ranked #57 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
DeFuniak Springs, Florida
“3-1/2 stars: Great for conference but better maintenance/updating needed”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Note: I posted a lengthy review on the hotel's site, but it disappeared as the hotel no longer accepts reviews there. So, this is my second attempt.

I was a guest at the Intercontinental during a Fellowship of Presbyterians/ECO joint meeting. High points included the service: everyone I dealt with from the front desk to the restaurant was courteous, friendly and professional. I was especially impressed with the efficiency displayed during a conference meal that had over 1,000 diners! Everything ran smoothly and the meal was quite good for banquet food.

I also appreciated receiving complimentary Wi-Fi access as part of the conference package.

Dining was good. I liked the dinner buffets which were reasonably priced ($20 including tax, tip and soft drinks). The Mexican-themed one was satisfactory and the BBQ-themed one was good. I was pleasantly surprised by a price discount for the breakfast buffet on Wednesday morning (I did not use the buffet Tuesday morning): $15 all-inclusive. Special mention must be made of the smoked salmon! So, overall the food was very good, with the exception of the coffee sold during break times between sessions ... it was dreadful (I am talking about the hotel made coffee, not the Starbucks).

However, while my room was comfortable enough, and the housekeeping staff did well keeping it clean, it seriously needs some maintenance or updating. I stayed in room 409. In the bathroom, some wallpaper was faded in places. The underside of the toilet seat was stained. There was rust around the bathtub drain and some discoloration where the tub meets the wall.

In the room itself, the leatherette headboard on one of the beds was torn. The wallpaper was peeling in one location. And the desk and chair were notably scuffed and dented. Overall, these issues gave the room a somewhat shabby, run-down appearance which is astonishing for a hotel of the InterContinental's reputation.

The room also could have been better equipped, with a microwave oven for example.

Also in the area of maintenance, a ceiling tile partially crumbled and fell to the floor in the exhibit hall. That did not inspire confidence.

So, overall I am glad I stayed at the Intercontinental for the way it handled our large conference, and for the excellent service and good food. But my room, at least, reduced the rating I could give.

Room Tip: Find a renovated room?
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Presbyman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a detailed overview of your recent visit.

I am happy to hear that your overall stay was enjoyable and that you found our staff to be courteous, friendly and professional and the culinary offerings good. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for the many details we missed in your room. Please know that I will personally speak with our maintenance team regarding your comments to ensure that every item mentioned has been looked into and fixed.

I truly hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Stefan Huber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I traveled here in January for a weekend conference. It was paid for by the business, and I was pleasantly surprised to have a king size room all to myself. The bed was ridiculously comfortable, the bathroom was awesome, and the room itself was spacious and nicely decorated.

I thought the whole hotel was very nice looking and I found the staff was very helpful (especially with providing me some of the toiletries I forgot to pack). I can't say much on location as we didn't really leave the hotel, but it seemed pretty far from both Dallas Fort Worth Airport and Downtown Dallas. I was able to use the gym a couple of mornings, and it was definitely better stocked than most hotel "gyms" I've seen.

My biggest complaint was probably the I found the WiFi to be rather crummy.

All in all, I did have a very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Megan J,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am extremely happy to hear that you found our bed to be ridiculously comfortable, bathroom awesome and accommodations nicely decorated. I am also glad to know that you were able to enjoy our gym and that our staff was very helpful, I will most certainly relay the kind words to my team.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Kind regards,
Chicago
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel for an overnight business trip. When I arrived to my non-smoking room, it smelled like stale smoke. I went down to the front desk to inquire whether they allowed smoking. They noted they did not, but were willing to switch my room and have housekeeping come and "freshen" up. When I returned later that night, the room simply smelled of a combination of air freshener and stale smoke. Not too pleasant. It was late, so I didn't really push the issue to switch rooms. The room itself seemed somewhat updated in some respects, but outdated in others. The beds were just ok. My business colleagues and I ate at the restaurant in the hotel, and it was only mediocre. Some of the menu items were unavailable and the waiter seemed to disappear for long periods of time. I did receive access to the concierge floor, so I was able to get a continental breakfast in the morning, which was helpful. All in all, the staff was friendly, but the hotel itself was not up to par.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear chicagomember,

I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent visit and I truly wish you would have allowed us to switch your room if you were unsatisfied.

I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Stefan Huber

Travellers are raving about these Dallas hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Not sure what everyone else is complaining about. The place is very nice and the staff was professional. When you first walk in the decor is amazing. They also have starbucks inside the hotel. The beds were super comfortable especially after working on the project we had that week. The hotel bar had good drinks an attentive staff. I did notice the traffic in the area was really bad during rush hour but its the city what do you expect? I also liked that twin peaks, flying saucer and a few stores to buy snacks were just a few a few blocks away. Everything worked in my room and it was clean. I would recommend this place and will be back to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Jeffreytravel1978,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the InterContinental® Dallas and for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful overview of your recent stay.

I am extremely happy that our decor to be amazing and staff very nice and professional, I will definitely relay the kind words to my team.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

1) received a non-smoking room that smelled like cigarettes with air freshener sprayed over.

2) There is a crazy number of conferences resulting in drunken conference-goers loudly wandering the halls looking for their rooms at 1:30am on a work night (yes, conference-go'ers, some of us are at the hotel must sleep so we can work in the morning.

3) The bathwater from the neighbor's shower rose up in my tub... You guessed it---NASTY!

Stayed August 2014
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear BrendaB14,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay.

I am extremely sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that you experienced several issues during your visit. It is our responsibility to make your business trip an enjoyable one and I regret that we failed to do so. Please know that I have our maintenance team looking into the issues described in your room to ensure all is in proper working order and that a non-smoking room is indeed a non-smoking room.

We hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The public spaces are very impressive. My room, on the 3rd floor was far from that. The extra door lock was inoperable. The desk lamp had a short in it and blinked whenever turned on. The phone by the bed was broken. The A/C never chilled the room to the set temp. There was a strangers hair in the coffee mug. Overall furnishings were very dated. Only redeeming quality was the concierge, Joetta, who really strived for excellence in customer service. I would not stay here again and would discourage others who might expect it to be akin to other IC properties.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paul K,

I appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent visit and I am extremely sorry to hear that it wasn't a more pleasant stay.

I am happy to hear that you found our public spaces to be impressive and that you received excellent customer service from Joetta, I will most certainly relay your kind words to her. As far as the issues you experienced in your room, please accept my sincere apology for the fact that we missed so many details. Please know that I will have our maintenance team and housekeeping look into all issues mentioned to ensure that all is in proper working order.

With great regret,
oklahoma
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Needed a last minute place for one night and found a great bargain on Priceline's Express Deals. Have stayed in many Dallas hotels through the years but never this one. My daughter and I were thrilled from the moment we walked in the lobby. It was definitely a welcome sight after traveling all day from the West Coast. The rooms were nicely furnished and the beds were super comfortable. We had a quiet, restful night and thought the complimentary toiletries were nicer than what is usually found. I appreciated the check-out time of noon rather than 11 a.m. which seems to be more common. The lobby Starbucks with its patio seating was a popular spot I wish we'd had time for. We encountered none of the problems other reviewers have mentioned, and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
ICDALLAS1, General Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear soonermom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a wonderful overview of your recent visit.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel design, accommodations and had a restful sleep in our super comfortable beds. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Stefan Huber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
Courtyard Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria
Home2 Suites by Hilton Dallas Addison
SpringHill Suites Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive
Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
The Westin Galleria Dallas

Been to InterContinental Dallas? Share your experiences!