“Was not thrilled at all”

InterContinental Dallas
Ranked #73 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Kansas City, Missouri
“Was not thrilled at all”
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Stay at the Intercontinental was not a thrill. Checked in and the double beds in the room looked like a pair of twin beds out of a dollhouse. The room that I ended up staying in itself was not the ideal four star hotel. The heat in my room went out and when the front desk was notified it took the (technician) maintenance guy an hour to get to my room and when he finally got there I also told him that I was having issues with the hot water in the bathroom. He was very rude and took his dirty shoes and walked all over my shower towel that I had on the floor. If the hotel was to go thru a major renovation I think that would be a four star maybe even a five star hotel. I was truly not impressed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
ICDallas, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Dallas, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Thank you for taking time to share your concerns; we apologize for the inconvenience. We take your comments seriously and will address them. As you may have noticed we are currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation; and continue to strive for excellent customer service. We would like to welcome you back to see our improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I stayed for 3 nights. The room was lovely (typical upscale hotel) and absolutely spotless. It was so clean that was a joy! the entire hotel was (except for the construction)

I do not think the staff is trained very well.

I first stopped at their coffee shop (unfortunately a ) Starbucks. no one was there and I waited 15 minutes and no one there. I figured the staff member had gone to the bathroom or warehouse. Well the lady came back and no apologies about the wait. She should have been trained to leave a sign saying she would be back in 15 minutes and to say "thank you for waiting". Frankly I was tempted to go behind the counter and help myself to the coffee.

I told them I wanted to use the pool as I had called ahead before I booked and had been told the pool was open and heated and opened at 6 a.m. Well I went down at 9:30 a.m. and it was closed. I went to the Front Desk and they called to have it open. i waited 1/2 hour and no one came to open it. I wasn't in a hurry as I was sitting outside in the gorgeous weather sipping my coffee. I went to the desk again and asked and finally 10 minutes later someone showed up to open it. It was freezing cold and obviously NOT heated. I went to the front desk to ask about the heat and they said they would send a maintenance guy but in the meantime was told the Fitness Center was closed and I could use the local GOLD'S Gym which they operated the shuttle to.

I finally decided not to swim in the freezing cold pool and went to GOLD's to swim. Lovely, lovely gym with the newest of facilities. the pool there is so so and needs it's ph level checked.

I am an Ambassador member and told them as usually I get fruit and water and a newspaper in the room and use of the Club Lounge. Well they didn't recognize that and I asked them to check that my membership hadn't lapsed. they said it was still fine. Then when i went back, they said they'd check and call me. Well, they didnt' and I went back to the desk and asked again and it had and they wanted me to pay $200. I told them it usually costs $100. to renew.

I asked the staff a number of questions and they were all so nice and friendly but I think rather untrained as they didn't know answers to basic things.

The Doormen/Bellman Staff (esp. Corey who drove the van too, I believe) were all nice. There was one guy who had me wait about 15 minutes for a ride to the gym and I got angry and just walked there as I realized it was closer than I thought. he was the only one on duty 6a.m. on monday with construction people coming in and out. Poor managment planning. Should have had two doormen as one needed to shuttle people to the gym. This guy I dealt with was not wanting to leave to drive me as he was making good tips and probably was told not to leave the door.

The Location is actually Addison, Texas. There are a number of restaurants and the Galleria Mall nearby. their van will take you up to 3 miles away. The location is out of the way if you are coming to do business in downtown Dallas. It is about 35 minutes from DFW.

No SAFE in the room which surprised me.

would stay here again but management needs to "get on the ball" and train staff properly. Great friendly staff though. Tried to help as much as they knew.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
aikoaikoallday
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I do quite a bit of business travel, and while this is not a four star hotel, it is not too bad. The rooms are clean and on the large side - bed and bedding were good/very good quality. Carpeting was clean and pretty new, towels were new and soft. Technology is really, really dated - phones, TV and lack of WiFi deperately need to be improved. Staff was courteous, bar area was good, and room services was OK and delivered on time.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Athens, Texas
Reviewed 26 October 2010

This review is probably one of the more difficult I've put up because this stay was pretty mixed. The low-down basically comes to this - the Staff is top-notch but the property needs work and its starting to run-down. This stay was a celebration of my 10th anniversary - we had held the reception here in 2000. Again the staff was great - they helped arrange a suite upgrade under my ambassador status and even supplied champagne. The lounge host even greeted me by name when I mentioned why I was there. However, the property's issues are hard to ignore. The wallpaper was peeling, the suite - a top end 'named' suite had a door with peeling paint and the 'name' had been reduced to 'Kens_ngt_n'. There are a number of other small items that could use some work. I'd probably recommend the hotel but don't expect the physical property to quite live up to the Intercontinental Name - although the staff certainly does.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I have stayed at the hotel several times. I enjoy the hotel and the staff is always helpful. They treat you really well at this place. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. As a Royal Platinum they upgrade me to a 2 floor suite. It is fabulous! The room is comfortable and great to do business in the day and sleep at night. They have just about everything you need at the hotel and you are a short distance from nice malls and shops.

My only complaint would be the breakfast. It is pretty lame. Well, more than pretty name. The VIP lounge is not really a lounge and the breakfast is not really a breakfast. It is more of a muffin meal with coffee.

Other than that, the hotel is great. The reception desk is helpful and knowledgeable. I have to stay at this hotel several times a year as I have family in Texas and I use the DFW airport. It is a very short and fast commute to the airport.

Overall, it is always a nice experience.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2010

The poor experience starts when you check in. I was alone while checking in. There were two people behind the reception desk, both on their phones, one attending to a new reservation and the other on a personal call. It took exactly 25 minute to check in. No apologies were offered for the delay. The rooms are totally outdated. There is no safe in the room. The food sucks. I ordered a hamburger and spend two hours throwing it up. The gym is awful. Breakfast is served in temporary location with space enough for half the people eating there. What else can I say. FIND ANOTHER HOTEL. THIS ONE IS A HORROR STORY.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank youfindmeaname

Travellers are raving about these Dallas hotels

Denver, CO
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I have not had a more unpleasant business hotel experience ever. The hotel is undergoing major renovations, and the staff does little to help compensate for that. Where to start?

1. My room had no power from the outlets or the phone on one wall. Despite several trips downstairs (remember, no working phone), they didn't fix it all day long. Finally, I was given a new room.

2. The gym is awful. The locker rooms are under renovation, there are no towels stocked, etc.

3. Their coffee shop does not take credit cards. In addition, to bill it to your room, you have to fill out multiple paper forms (inconvenient).

4. Their bar has limited service and we had to chase down our waiter every night to pay our bill.

5. The restaurant must be under renovation also. They have a make-shift restaurant where we ate. One morning, we had 4 for breakfast and it took over an hour to get our order.

6. My bill was damaged in our copier so I called them to get a new copy. It won't be a surprise that it took multiple phone calls across a 5-day period to finally get them to send a copy to me (via email)

I have stayed at ICH hotels in the past, but this is absolutely the worst one I have visited.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank jhporte
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dallas
Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria
Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
HYATT house Dallas/Addison
The Westin Galleria Dallas
Hilton Dallas Lincoln Centre
Courtyard Dallas Addison/Quorum Drive

Been to InterContinental Dallas? Share your experiences!