“Lovely hotel with great people and centrally located downtown”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Lovely hotel with great people and centrally located downtown”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed in the 1 bedroom queen suite for 3 nights for our 5 year Anniversary trip (10/31-11/3/13). My husband and I loved it except for 2 issues: internet & elevators which I'll go into detail later. The front desk service was quick, easy and super friendly. We used both the valet service ($24/day + tax) & shuttle service (free & goes until 11 pm) were easy and convenient. There was a large wedding (or two) occurring at the hotel during our stay and even with all the madness the longest we waited for someone to help us was a minute. There is an evening reception (Happy Hour) in the lounge with free beer and wine between 5:30-6:30 pm. We don't do beer or wine but since it's a full bar we ordered a cocktail and although the bartender didn't know how to make the drink we wanted he was very receptive on how to make it and we only had to $3,which for us it might as well have been free!
The complimentary breakfast was nice, there were eggs all 3 mornings with either sausage or bacon. I recommend staying away from the french toast and waffles, I'm not sure why but they both tasted like cardboard, disappointing but the eggs were good. There was also oatmeal, English muffins, cereal, etc. Note: on a busy morning (like Sunday) you might have a hard time finding a place in the lounge area to sit. This wasn't a big deal for us, we just went back to our room where it was quiet. The acoustics in the lounge area makes voices echo so when there are a large amount of people it can be overwhelming if you're not use to so much noise.
Our suite was better than I expected. It was complete and fully stocked kitchen including full size stove, fridge, dishwasher, utensils, pots & pans. We were on the 17th floor with a view of the Adolphus Hotel next door and AT&T World Headquarters across the street (I recommend going to see Golden Boy, he's a marvel). The blinds open but I don't recommend trying to pull them up, they didn't work for us and the windows could use some cleaning but there was still plenty of light coming in. Note: The walls are a little thin if you happen to have a rowdy group on your floor. We lucked out and didn't have to deal with any issues until the last night and it was off/on so I just ignored the youngsters vs calling front desk to complain. Eventually (around 5 am) they went to sleep. My husband didn't hear them at all, so if you're a light sleeper like me I recommend bringing ear plugs just in case.
The only reason I can't give this hotel a 5 out of 5 are because of the internet & the elevators. Although AT&T's World Headquarters are across the street their internet was a bit shotty. It was simple enough to connect to but the service kept dropping which was annoying but then again it's free. The elevators are best when it's not busy. On the ground floor you'll see a bank of 6 elevators but there's a sign that says only 3 are working and once you get to other floors you only see a bank of 4 elevators. The lights above the elevator doors didn't seem to be working but they did ding so that let you know an elevator was going to open (eventually). We used all three working elevators and they all took an extra 15-20 seconds to open once you landed on the floor you needed. If you're not a patient person, during the busy times, the elevators will drive you batty.

Room Tip: Corner suites offer great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 6 November 2013

From the minute my cab drove up to the Magnolia Hotel to the time I left, the customer service throughout their entire staff is what stood out to me most. Then you add in the unique charm the hotel and rooms have, the great breakfast, the super fun cocktail hour every night and a bar that draws a fun crowd, the cookies and milk and the free internet...not much more you can ask for from a hotel and all of these are INCLUDED!! Anywhere else you would get charged for all of these. Loved the Magnolia Hotel and highly recommend it!!!

Hartford, CT
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great price, free breakfast, free shuttle to local areas, nice location, and free cocktail reception and cookies - what more could you want! Our room was huge - suite with full kitchen and bedroom in separate room. Great location close to convention center. Staff was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in downtown Dallas and will definitely stay again.

Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is in the old Standard Oil building. The renovation is great. Some Standard oil artifacts are still around. All staff was friendly all the time. Restaurants are very close. The convention center is about 6 blocks away, making for a nice walk to and from. Breakfast is very good. The selection may not be as large as at some hotels, but the quality was excellent and slightly different each day. The cookies and happy hour are a nice perk also.

The only negative I can think of is that the lights are dim and the rooms are dark, even with all the windows we had (Of course it was cloudy everyday we were there). The shades and blinds are huge and heavy, which makes them cool and quite impressive, but they are a job to raise and lower. Some were slightly broken and for some I could not reach the ropes. Once the shades are open, you'll realize you have neighbors very close by. :)

We were at the Magnolia for 5 nights and it felt like home. We would definitely stay again if we have the chance.

Room Tip: We had a suite, which is more like a 1 bedroom apartment, and loved it. Ours had windows on 3 sides...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Magnolia Hotel while in Dallas one night for business.

The Hotel is nice on the main lobby and bar/lounge areas. It isn't overly opulent or ritzy, but very comfortable and nice.

The room is a very good size, and was comfortable for the evening. My only complain is the lack of lighting in the room. There are no overhead lights, and the lamps provided in the room are inadequate. This is especially noticeable at the desk area where they need to beef up the desk with higher wattage bulbs or additional lighting.

They offer happy hour from 5:30 to 6:30 pm at the bar, so many people were down there enjoying a few drinks on the house. They also also offer milk and cookies between 8 and 10pm, however I did not partake and can't comment.

I ate dinner at the bar, the food was pretty good, not overly great.

As for price/value, I am not quite sure what the typical rates are here as I was booked here by a client and didn't have to consider these issues.

Service was excellent at the front desk and the bar/restaurant. These were my only interactions.

The hotel is old, so you should not expect a brand new spotless hotel. There are definitely signs of age throughout the hotel, although not necessarily in a bad way.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are going to be in the area.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This was my second stay at a Magnolia property. While the Denver hotel is slightly superior, in my opinion, Dallas was quite enjoyable as well. Great breakfast and happy hour. Cookies and milk at night. Best of all - free hotel shuttle service to nearby restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We loved our room - complete with a kitchen and living room. Desk staff, bartenders, and rooms service staff we're all very nice. As first timers to Dallas, we found it a great place to stay- centrally located and easy to park. We used the Nieman Marcus parking lot - paid only 15$ for entire weekend of coming and going. Free breakfast, happy hour, and cookies a bonus.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple