“Elevators? We don't need no stinkin' elevators!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #14 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
SAN ANTONIO
“Elevators? We don't need no stinkin' elevators!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

(That's a paraphrase from The Treasure of Sierra Madre with Humphrey Bogart and Jon Houston.)

If you enjoy waiting 15 to 30 minutes for an elevator ride to the 15th floor, the Magnolia in Dallas is your kind of place. This is an old art deco office building that was converted into a hotel years ago. I guess that they forgot to convert the elevators. The elevator lobby has an impressive bank of about 10 elevators, only two or three of which actually work at any give moment. This is a big hotel, and the elevators are slow and totally inadequate. We were there for a wedding, and were (along with everyone else) constantly late for everything because of the elevators. Other than that, it was a lovely weekend. I have a list of enemies, to whom I will recommend a stay at the Magnolia.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Randall F
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear RANDALL F,

We have shared your concerns with our staff and are constantly working to improve our customer service. Your feedback is invaluable to this process.

In regards to your listed enemies who will be staying with us, we appreciate the referrals.

Reviews like yours give us an opportunity to address concerns and continue to develop and enhance the next guest's experience. We hope the next guest will be you, so you can see what we mean.

Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

My extended family spent last weekend at the Magnolia Hotel in Dallas, waiting for the elevator. No kidding. The event was a wedding; we had booked about 30 rooms in the facility, and we were excited to be in a cool place in downtown Dallas, one of our favorite towns. Unfortunately, the hotel disappointed us at several major turns.

We arrived on Friday evening about 7:30, beat from traveling all day with my 80 year old parents, rough and delayed flights, and typical Dallas 5 PM Friday traffic. We'd already missed the Rehearsal Dinner, so we opted for dinner in the 2nd-floor restaurant. Our first mistake; service was in the weeds, with the two (yep, count 'em, 2) wait staff doing tables, running drinks, and doing room service. It took 20 minutes to get menus and water on the table, and three different trys to get a bottle of wine that they actually had in the cellar. The waiter was pleasant, and certainly embarrissed; they ended up comping us a portion of the meal. As we finished, the wedding party began arriving from the rehearsal. Here was a chance for the bar to shine, but alas--the single bartender couldn't figure it out, and the two waiters were busy doing...something. A second barkeep finally showed up and began to make headway with the 30 people in front of him; waits for a glass of wine or a beer began to move from 5 minutes to only 2 or 3, but what a missed opportunity. It was pretty messy. Oh--and about this time, the night set-up crew started tipping over tables to make room for the morning buffet. This was accomplished by, as noted, simply tipping the table over and letting it drop the last 3 feet--scared the bejesus out of us the first three or four times!

Morning found us at the breakfast service, which was fine until the line closed (at 10). The same set-up crew began the table-toss again (WHAM! WHAM! WHAM!); the best part of the insensitivity training regime occured as 7 of us sat at an 8-top, finishing our breakfast and coffee. One of the busmen came to our table, slammed down a plastic buspan full of dirty dishes at the single empty place, and began to clean our table. We took the hint and went back to wait...and wait...and wait...in the elevator lobby.

So here's the picture that really sticks in my head: an elevator lobby completely full of people with luggage. The one operating car comes down, down, down to the 5th, the 4th, the third, the 2nd--and then back up again to the 20's. Or, standing in the lobby on the 6th with my 84-year-old father when the door opens, to discover that the only car that has opened it's doors in 15 minutes is completely full of people trying to get to the first floor. One member of our party hiked down 19 floors; I carried three bags down 6 flights myself, and we regularily walked down 6-10 floors rather than wait. My parents got stuck in an up-down loop that took them 20 minutes to complete once they were on the car!

I have worked in several hotels, and work in a company that supports several hotels now. I'm not crazy, or hard to deal with, but I must say that the Magnolia Dallas was a deep, deep black hole; avoid it at all costs. The equipment doesn't work, and the operating team doesn't seem to care about any sort of customer service at all.

I must admit that, after an email complaint, the hotel manager has offered to cover one night of our stay. That's fine, and I'll accept the repay, but travelers be warned--bring your stair climbing shoes!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the ground are an easier climb with luggage!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Bill P
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Bill P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience here at Magnolia. Attentive and detailed reviews, like the one you have provided, help us to zero in on the issues that need to be addressed immediately. In regards to the specific concerns you've mentioned, eager busboys, elevators, and long waits at the bar, the appropriate steps have been taken to ensure that we remain dedicated to providing our guests with the comfort and reliable service that we associate ourselves with.

In addition, I'm pleased to hear that when snags did appear, our team did everything we could to make it right. That sounds more like us. We appreciate the balance and candor of your review and we hope to see you soon. Minus the climbing boots.

Thanks again.

Kansas City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

One night stay with friends (12/14/13) while visiting Dallas. Great location, well appointed room, welcomed rinks, milk and cookies and a wonderful breakfast was all out weighed when we had to wait approximately 15+minutes each time for an elevator. Of seven ( yes, 7) elevators it appears that the hotel only has one (1) working elevator. Truly not acceptable for a hotel this size and/ or the number of guests.
It was so bad this morning that most guests, after enjoying a wonderful breakfast were choosing the stairs as opposed to waiting. Twenty floors later.....we get back to floor, where there are people waiting for the elevator to go back down.....waiting 20 minutes.
Not only is this inconvenient it's a bit of a safety concern.
I would definitely consider staying here again however the elevator issues would need to be RESOLVED,

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Jeanie T,

Thank you for your review. You managed to balance the positives and negatives very well, and we appreciate you voicing your concerns in regards to our elevator. We are fervently working to engage the other elevators and we appreciate our guest's patience as we work to enhance this part of the Magnolia experience.

We hope to have you back soon, and we thank you for your time and patronage.

Paris, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Great location to any type of restaurant you could want and milk and cookies at night were special touch able to walk to several entertainment places (i.e., we went to Majestic theater and to JFK memorial with 6 floor museum). Definitely stay here again when we go to downtown Dallas. Breakfast better than just bagels and cereal.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hey JAYblossom,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience and we're happy that you found it to be pleasant. Glad to provide a central location to museums and restaurants, and we appreciate when our guests appreciate.

Plus - "Better than Bagels and Cereal" is our new tagline! Thanks for taking advantage of all our amenities.

Come on back and stay a while. We'll be here.

Cheers,
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a suit. Rate was actually good. Location is perfect for a business stay and sfaff have been very helpul. My only critism would be that I got in late around 11 pm and room service was not available and rooms need some remodelling. I've also found the breakfast selection below average.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Sinan A,

Thank you for your review. We're happy that you were pleased with the rates, service and location of our hotel. Your concerns in regards to late night snacking, early morning eats, and room remodeling, have been forwarded to the appropriate entities. We appreciate both your time and your honesty.

Fredericksburg, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Got a great deal for a one bedroom suite. Nicely appointed room, with ample kitchen amenities, and a free happy hour. Check-in and check-out was efficient, and the valet parking was excellent. Right next door to a great upscale Mexican restaurant and down the street from iconic department stores. A great weekend selection!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hey FrederickBurg,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We're so happy you took advantage of all of our perks, from the valet to the location - and whenever anyone uses the term "oldschool" in their review, we have to give it up.

Thanks for the kind words and we'll be here for the next stay.

Cheers,
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at The Magnolia towards the end of October for my friend's wedding. I was not planning on staying, but made a last minute decision to stay do to a huge thunderstorm and I was feeling sick as well. Since it was a last minute decision, there were only suites available at a higher price. The suite was beautiful and had an amazing view. My stay turned sour when I returned home and found that I had left my favorite pair of Swarovski earrings on the nightstand. I left three voicemails, none of which were returned. I finally called and asked the front desk staff to transfer me to a lice person, who then told me she didn't see anything in the log. I asked if she could check with the housekeeper who cleaned the room, and she said she would the next day. I of course never received a call back, and when I called again, I was told the housekeeper didn't recall anything. I was given no aplology or solution, and I am 100% sure the earrings were left there.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear ames886,

Thank you for writing this review and sharing your experience with us. We're sorry to hear about the Swarovski earrings and I have passed a note onto the management team in regards to this. While I cannot promise anything, I can assure you that our staff's only aim, is to provide the highest quality of service and that if they are guilty of anything, it is going above and beyond their positions to ensure that each of our guests have a decent stay.

As mentioned above, I have informed the management of your situation and should any new information come to light, you will be the first to know.