“Pillow Talk”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I recently stayed for Valentine's day and had a nice time. The staff was more than friendly an accommodating to our needs. The room was cozy and clean, it felt like I was in a large one bedroom apartment. It had every appliance needed to cook in the kitchen. The bathroom was large and so was the tub. Room service was fast and friendly and the breakfast was fresh and delicious. Its location is close to all the fancy restaurants downtown. The window shades keep all the light out, which is great for sleeping in. My only complaint is that the bed was not king size and the pillows were really firm which gave us a stiff neck the following morning. I would definitely stay again, but will bring my own pillow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high to get a nice view of the city and bring your own pillow.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear aynge,

Love the title, love the words. Thanks for reviewing your stay with us and I hope we can do it again in the future, without a stiffneck. We thank you kindly and look forward to serving you again.

Best,
Ryan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,410)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel when in town for a Cowboys game. Wanted to be in the city center. This hotel was perfect. Walking distance to everything. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is friendly. I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Ryan,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We're glad you got to get down with Dallas and we hope to do it all one more time. Till then -

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights after a long flight and was happy with our choice. Great location, breakfast and happy hour. Only negative was the slow lift being on a high floor. Room was spacious and comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Bouv

Hey Bouv,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing your stay. We appreciate the kind words and appreciate our guest's patience as we work to resolve our elevator difficulties. We thank you and invite you back -

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The Magnolia was one of the hotels suggested for a wedding that we were attending. Since we were going to be in town for a couple nights, we wanted a suite. We ended up with a corner suite and it was wonderful--good views of the city, spacious and well designed. Kitchen was bigger than most suites that we have stayed in which was nice. Bedroom and living room were far apart so noise was not an issue. He never heard the folks in the next room even though it there was a connecting door to make it a two bedroom suite. Breakfast was better than expected with a good choice of items (the choice were different both mornings). Evening cookies and milk were a nice touch. The evening reception was nice, but you will likely want to upgrade your drink to beyond the complimentary offerings.

Elevators can be slow at times, but they had an operator during our checkout on Saturday, so there was no issue. The valets were fasted than the text message service predicted, which was very nice (told it would be 40 mins, but car was ready in 10 min).

Room Tip: High floor didn't have much street noise--occasional siren.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Hey MikeW82834,

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your patience with our elevators and are glad you found the amenities to your liking. We hope to serve you again in the future. Till then,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

With our birthdays and Valentine's Day all in a nine day period, my wife and I have developed a tradition of celebrating them all together with an overnight trip to Dallas with a great dinner. I chose Magnolia because I had stayed there for a business trip in December and the boutique hotel we have stayed at before has changed ownership.
I guess your perspective changes when your wife is involved. In December I actually enjoyed the wait at the elevators since the last thing I wanted to do was go to the mediation I was scheduled to attend. With her we ended up taking the stairs down from the fifth floor a couple of times (not up! I didn't pack my defibrillator). It is an old office building and it has its charms and foibles.
We got the Valentine's suite package and I actually ended up in the same corner suite I was in for my December trip. The room was large and quiet. All of the furniture appeared new and the fridge was nice to have, but as soon as she took her shoes off my wife complained that the carpet felt sticky and gross. The bed was comfy, the pillows convinced me that I'm Goldilocks since I couldn't get comfy, but the blackout window curtains rocked! The tub was large and appealed to my wife's need for a bubble bath (which would be a nice item for the concierge to stock, but CVS is only half a block away). However, since she was hip to the package we booked, we were disappointed that the robes and turndown service never materialized. They'd have been nice touches since they were listed in the package at booking. We did get our champagne, though.
The Magnolia tries hard, though. I appreciate the beer and wine comps at happy hour and the cookies & milk between 8-10 pm should be done by every hotel. The breakfast in the morning is done in the same bar/lounge/atrium space. It has a good variety of foods and beverages.
Basically, if you need to be downtown the location is great and valet service is great (it can be initiated by text). However, getting down/up is a drag and a cab can be a challenge, but that's downtown for you (in December the hotel shuttle took me the 1.5 miles to the lawyer's office since no cab was around--above & beyond service). The prices we have paid are very reasonable for the area, but the fumble on the robes and turndown lost a rating point since they were in the package & my wife was involved. We'll look for another place to stay next year, but in a pinch I'd come back for a business trip if I had another miserable issue to deal with in town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a lower floor. Bar, breakfast & cookies at night are all on the second floo...
1  Thank 3thehardway

Dear 3thehardway,

Thanks for the balanced review. Reading it, we realize there are some things that didn't quite work for you. Improving our service is key, and your feedback is instrumental to that process. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to hopefully serving you again.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very glad we chose to stay at the Magnolia. Historic building, nicely restored. Large, comfortable corner suite, with comfy bed and nice appointments. Large bathroom, kitchen area, and good views. Staff well trained and friendly, from valet to housekeepers. Nice breakfast in the AM, with happy hour in the evening. Pretty crowded but well done. Only complaint was that the elevators are very slow, and waits were long. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Get a suite, and a corner one if possible.

Hey mjgkng,

We're so happy you had such a great experience during your stay! Keep us in mind for the next one.

Best,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Sending Valentine Day weekend here was an ok idea. The reason why we choose the hotel was the overall romance package. We checked the car in with the valet and entered into the hotel off of commerce, which kind of leaves you completely exposed to on coming traffic. Check-in took about 30 minutes due to 1 person taking phone calls while the line continued to grow. We went to the room and dropped of the bags. We had a nice corner suite, that was excessively dated and with a queen bed, which was my fault when I booked it incorrectly. None the less dumped our bags took a quick walk around the room which was rather large. The couch was extremely old and worn, the tub was missing chunks of paint. Just overall a dingy room.
We went to the bar on level 2, which was very nice in the main foyer. Pours were decent, and they serve the full restaurant menu in the bar area. The hotel is quiet on the floors, as we did not hear anyone the entire time we were in the room.
Valet system is right on par with some of the best hotels I've ever stayed with, a simple text message and then a response of when the car is brought around. Don't worry about getting out there to quick the elevators are ungodly slow they will give you the 10 minutes they request to have the vehicle brought up.
The hotel itself is close to the west end, not much in the immediate area except high-end restaurants. Little bit of night life in the city most of it has moved north to Victory Park which is a short taxi ride or a long walk.
I doubt I would stay here again.

3  Thank wick1979

Dear wick1979,

We have shared your concerns with our staff and are constantly working to improve our customer service. Your feedback is invaluable to this process. Thank you for your review.

Regards,