“Great Place to Stay”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The suites are clean (no dirty socks from walking in my sock feet!) and spacious. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The elevators definitely need improvement. Other than that, everything was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sue T
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hey Sue T,

We passed the sock test!! Thanks for staying with us, reviewing your stay, and keeping us honest. You're welcome back anytime!!

Best,
Ryan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,410)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

These guys do it all. Always there if you need anything and leave you alone when you dont. Couldn't recommend a better place to stay if you're going to stay in the heart of it all. Beds are awesome!Service was awesome and suited to individual needs. Thanks for an awesome stay!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank raun_k

Hey raun_k,

Reviews like your's are why we do what we do here. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and next time you're in town, let's do it again.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I'll preface this by saying that I realize we stayed @ the hotel during a VERY busy weekend for downtown Dallas. Multiple weddings and conventions were taking place, so I understand that the staff was a little overwhelmed at times.

However, having said all of this, I don't feel as though the hotel was prepared for the influx of guests it was about to receive. We arrived an hour before check in, and while I understand it was necessary for us to wait (since check in was not until 3 p.m.), we were called and notified that our room was ready well after the standard check in time. This was also the case for multiple other guests who were arriving in town/at the hotel for a wedding that day.

I'd hope that the hotel would have worked ahead of time with the bride and groom on the reserved room block(s) and times of arrival so that they could better accommodate the arrival of their guests.

The rooms/suites were adequate, but there was not enough lighting in any one room.
I also couldn't find a full length mirror and given the type of guest that would frequent this place and their reasons for visiting (meetings, weddings, etc.), I'm guessing a full length mirror in the bathroom or closet would be a great value add.

Lastly, I'll bring up the issue that I believe everyone has mentioned - the elevators.
I get it, this is an old building with historic elevators that have been there since the beginning of creation. They probably carried Moses up to his 26th floor suite.
And I read the review responses that said the hotel's trying to figure out a new game plan for these horrific things (and the fact that there are only 2-3 of them working for guests at any given time). But seriously, people have been complaining about these elevators since at least 2008 - please take some of the money you gained from your surplus of guests this past weekend and invest it into some additional elevators. If I were the staff there, I'd be SO OVER hearing these complaints.

Overall - gorgeous hotel with tons of history, but I'd probably never elect to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first, second or third floors so you can avoid even having to look at the elev...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onlyalivebriefly

Dear onlyalivebriefly,

Reading your review, we realize there are some things that didn't quite work for you, and we appreciate our guest's patience during the heavier-traffic times. Improving our service is key, and your feedback is instrumental to that process. Thank you for taking the time to share and we look forward to serving you again, elected or not.

Regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We used the Magnolia Dallas for my daughters recent wedding. Many of our guests commented on the great value, location and amenities the hotel offered. The large second floor area where the complementary breakfast and happy hour were was a super place to meet groups of guests. The rooms are very nice, and the value is exceptional. The only negative I heard anyone comment on was the slow elevators, and they were very slow during peak hours.

Room Tip: The views are better from the upper floors but if the hotel is full making the elevators even slower...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hey barbielab,

Thank you for staying with us and letting us be a part of the celebration. We appreciate our guest's patience in regards to the elevators and we hope to have you back soon - till then -

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is situated in an iconic building, right in the centre of Dallas. The rooms are done to a high standard and the beds were really comfortable. We could walk to all the main sights from the hotel. The breakfast was excellent also. All in all, a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 88Dutchie88

Hey 88Dutchie88,

Awesome name and thanks for the review. We're glad we got to take care of you and we look forward to the next time -

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in Dallas for the night, and thought the hotel was very nice. The only thing that was bothersome was the long wait for the elevators. Staying on the 21st floor meant that sometimes we waited 5-10 minutes for an elevator, and then the elevator would be absolutely packed. Other than that, the staff were friendly and the room was nice and clean. Lovely views of downtown as well.

• Stayed: March 2014
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Hey Jessica U,

Thank you for staying with us, reviewing the trip, and thanks for your patience as we work to enhance the elevators in our building. We look forward to the next stay -

Best,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Whenever I give seminars in Dallas, I stay at the Magnolia. Initially it was because the organization I work with booked the room for me; now I have a choice, and I still stay there. I always stay in the same room on the 24th floor: I like the high ceilings and the wood paneling. (I haven't seen the rooms on any other floors.)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hey Kenneth A,

We appreciate the decision making on your behalf, and we thank you kindly for the return trips and review! We look forward to having you back soon -