“4 days in Dallas!”

Ranked #16 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Montreal, Canada
“4 days in Dallas!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First time to Dallas, we found this place a great experience. Friendly staff, great location. We were upgraded to a suite which had everything including a great view. We had easy wifi, great breakfast then happy hour was terrific and the evening meals even though not a big menu all on it was wonderful, topped off with cookies and milk at the end of the day. The staff was some of the best we have had and we have travelled extensively. We would stay again without hesitation and all we can say is well done everyone, thankyou for a terrific stay.

Room Tip: corner suite great for views on 22nd floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Hey Trevor and Mim W,

Thank YOU for staying with us and for an awesome review - we hope to have you back soon -

Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
Formby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We would definately stay here again .
This is not going to be the very best hotel you have stayed in but how often do you get to stay in the refurbished HQ of a major oil company ?
The rooms are spacious and well furnished for a 3 star hotel , the public rooms are interesting and the evening reception should not be missed (free beer and I'm from Yorkshire , the part of England which makes Scotsmen look positively extravagant).
It is also in a great location and very easy to find ..
The lifts are so quirky that they are almost an attraction

Room Tip: Lower floor rooms are a way of avoiding waits for lifts .
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DavenWendy
Hey DavenWendy,

Love this review! Thanks for staying with us and for getting us. Your attention to details is much appreciated and we hope to have you back soon. Till then,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Chose this hotel because of its location and prices. Originally I had booked at another hotel that was cheaper, however after I added everything( free wifi, breakfast and less expensive parking) the Magnolia was the better deal. My husband and I are glad I did. All the staff was as nice as could be, the free breakfast is great with the exception of more fruit being needed. The nightly cookies is a nice touch. Our biggest complaint are the elevators, only 2 worked properly and they were slow.( Historic buildings have historic elevators). If you don't mind using the stairs occasionally, than this is the hotel for you!! We loved it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank apeybaby
Dear apeybaby,

Thank you for staying and thank you for reviewing. The elevators are being updated and we appreciate our guest's patience as we work on this issue. We're so happy you were happy and we look forward to more happiness in the future.

New Jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great location, within walking distance to a number of downtown attractions and restaurants. The room was a nice size, comfortably furnished. However... it's an older hotel, and had some of the pitfalls you might expect with an older property. The elevators during peak hours were s-l-o-o-o-w! The halls were dark and somewhat dingy. My room was on the 8th floor, facing Akard Street. Apparently, this is where the garbage gets collected - at 5:00 every morning. Be prepared to be wakened at that hour by banging trash cans, rumbling diesel engines and chatty trash collectors. The late night rowdies didn't help, either. Maybe it's quieter on a higher floor. The breakfast buffet was... meh. Didn't get a chance to try the wine reception, but the milk and cookies hit the spot. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid this place, but I might try some other properties before going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor and avoid facing Akard St.
Dear sailor908,

While we understand from your review that things weren't all the way awesome, we're taking this review and constantly improving our services. Your feedback is invaluable to this process - so thank you for helping improve our awesome.

Regards,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have stayed at the Magnolia since 2010 and have lost count of the number of times I have booked a room here. The service is always great but now I am starting to see the different sides of the hotel. I absolutely enjoy the beer and wine reception, the milk and cookies before bed, and the breakfast buffet in the morning are all the things that keep me coming back. This trip was busy and I did not have time for all three. The first thing I noticed is that the suite they put me in on the 18th floor had two small seats instead of the normal couch. After traveling all day I really enjoy unwinding with some couch laying, working on some projects and having the TV on. It is hard to do that in a small seat vs. a long couch. Then the internet was spotty, and I have never had trouble with the connection. My computer kept disconnecting from the service and when it would reconnect it would pop up the long in window for the network, the same continued to happen with my iPhone. I know everyone mentions the elevator, and after three years of seeing the same thing one beings to think if they pay attention to customer feedback or if they decided to renovate a historic building and call it a day. I do like how they have upgraded their shuttle service over the years, they went from one SUV to several spacious vans and that makes it easy for getting around the 3mile radius of downtown instead of having to wait on the valet to get the car. I also like how they finally added a rewards program, this will keep me coming back, and gives the staff an idea of the people that have stayed before. They give the same information every time I stay and so hopefully now I can just hear "welcome back, any questions?"...which after checking in and listening to the long speech I did hear "welcome back" and that makes a small difference. Overall not a bad stay, not a great one, but still a nice place to relax and spend the weekend close to everything else.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are quieter but the internet may not be as good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Buzz H
Dear Buzz H,

Thank you for your return trips and for helping us improve our services. You mentioned the pluses, and mentioned the issues needing attention, both have been noted. Well-balanced reviews like this help identify areas where we can rise to our normally elevated standards. We appreciate your thoughts and look forward to the next stay (and mention the couch thing, we'll hook it up) -

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We were on the 21st floor with a great view of downtown. The hotel is obviously an old building and the elevators are very slow. I felt like our room was a converted apartment. We had a full kitchen, living area, bath, bedroom. What should have been a queen bed felt more like a full. We stayed 3 nights and our room was never serviced. The first day I asked them to return in 30 minutes and they never did. Breakfast was included. There was a wonderful selection of eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, yogurt, fruit, etc. Parking was expensive, another $27 added to the bill each night but the valet service was great. I just texted my receipt number and my car was waiting for me when I was ready to leave.

Hey ALeMire,

We are thrilled you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thanks for the review and keep us in mind next time!

Colorado Spring
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Overall a nice property. Was dissapointed that there wasn't a pool. It is a great location. The workout room is nice, rarely used but it is nice. It is an absolute perfect location. Cannot be beat.

Rooms are small but workable. Very New York City like...

One last thing to point out, the elevators are very slow. Allow yourself extra time.

Pleased though

2 Thank ThatBGuye
Hey ThatBGuye,

Thanks for staying with us, reviewing, and being awesome. Your notes have been shared with staff and we look forward to making your next stay even better. Till then -