“Gem of a hotel in the heart of dallas”

Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“Gem of a hotel in the heart of dallas”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at the Magnolia and it was excellent. The staff was friendly and welcoming, the rooms were clean, it was a wonderful experience. It was moderately priced so I didn't expect such a wonderful hotel but I felt like I had found a gem. I will absolutely be staying at the magnolia again. Enjoy! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
And in you? We feel like we may have found a gem of a guest!

We're so happy you had such a great time with us - we should totally do it again! Until then, continue being awesome.

Cheers,
Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were in town for a show at the nearby Majestic Theater. This hotel met our location and price requirements. The building is historic, which means old. So no, it does not appear to be a flashy squeaky clean new Hilton. We liked the character of the building and that it felt historic. That said, the room was somewhat dark (great for sleeping, not so much for getting ready to go out) and did sort of feel like it had been converted from office space into a bedroom (probably had given its initial intended use as Mobil headquarters, hence the red Pegasus everywhere). Our room was located right off the elevator bank, which immediately made me leery of noise, but we heard none. There was a short hallway from the door into the room, which I think helped.

The bathroom was fine, comfortable but with weak water pressure in both toilet and shower.

Free breakfast was good and we didn't have any problem finding a table, but were staying mid-week and not weekends. The food assortment was varied and we found something for everyone. The 80s music mix in the hotel was awesome!

The proximity to everything was great for us. We walked to and from our show and also dinner and lunch nearby. We easily drove to both the JFK sights as well as the Dallas Museum of Art. Driving in Dallas was incredibly easy compared to my hometown of Boston.

Our experiences with staff were mixed: on check-in the desk staff chose to talk to a potential guest over the phone for nearly 5 minutes before waiting on us. In my mind the guest physically standing at the desk gets priority. But the valet staff were exceptional; fast, friendly and accommodating.

Would probably stay here again if we return to Dallas. I was fine with the stay and expect it's probably an old reliable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank amybatt
Acceptable is never easy to hear, but being accepted is the first step to being loved. We're glad you found some silver linings to your stay, and we hope the next stay will show you more reasons to turn acceptance, into love.

Till then,

Cheers,
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Starting my 4th and final week for this trip and will be back. The free breakfast and happy hour appealed to my thrifty side. The location was just a short walk to my business and restaurants. Was very surprised with the staff. My thanks to manager Vincent Savarese and Gerardo in service. Both made me feel at home. I had a wonderful suite in room 2026 but I heard not every room is the same so rated it as a four instead of my room that was definitely a 5. Also, thanks to Carla with helping me with the reservations.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing your stay. Your review has been passed on to Carla and the management staff - we're so glad to warrant personal mention, as that is our MO in all situations. Thanks again for choosing us, and we hope to see you again soon -

Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was treated with excellent customer service. Valet was very courteous and the front desk was as well. Room was clean, comfy and beautiful! Free breakfast and happy hour!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nice review! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope your next visit will be just as great.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

In this review, I will do my best to give balanced feedback but also be candid so as to benefit other travelers.

PROS: Front desk service (thank you SHEA and ERIC), location, free food
CONS: Do not be fooled. This hotel is showing its wear and tear. We changed rooms twice because the smell of the sewer line coming through the restroom. It's noticeable and may be bearable if you're traveling by yourself for business. But we were on a family vacation, so it was unacceptable. Other reviewers commented about the slow elevators, which is accurate but not a big problem (hotel gives guests a ticket for free drink at the bar to compensate for elevators). We were upgraded to a king suite which had a kitchenette. The suite was awkward; more like an efficiency apartment rather than a hotel suite. Appliances worked properly but were from the 70s or 80s. Facility is older, short on space, dated, and needing a reno. Breakfast was tasty but because of the lack of space the food stations were very spread out so spent a lot of time going from station to station, waiting in line, and then waiting for a table to sit down and eat. I'm always leery of complimentary breakfasts because servers don't have the best attitude; and yup that happened. Service was acceptable but not friendly and inviting. I had to ask someone to wipe a table down, even though he was just standing around and obviously saw me looking for a table. I got the vibe from the servers that they felt they were doing me a favor.
BOTTOM LINE: Acceptable if you're by yourself or on business. Don't stay for leisure. I felt badly for the group that was there for a wedding.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VuongStrongWifey
Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. Your comments in regards to service, room condition, and overall experience have been noted and forwarded.

Regards,
Warwick, New York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Outstanding, friendly service. Spacious rooms and suites with all the comforts of home. Very convenient to all that downtown Dallas has to offer and close to airport. Bonus - Neiman Marcus is next door!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thanks for the review and thanks for staying! We hope your next stay is just as enjoyable - till then,

Regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I came in by train and it was nice to have them pick me up from the station. I had a little trouble getting the room key to work but eventually got that ironed out with the front desk. The room was well furnished but seemed rather dark, I ended up on a lower floor so the only view was to the adjacent building. The comments by others about the large room sizes do not apply to mine. I appreciate the historic character of the building and understand the challenges involved in making a modern hotel out of an old oil company headquarters.

The location is excellent, close to the convention center and lots of good restaurants nearby. One reason I picked this hotel is its proximity to a light rail stop, which is only a couple blocks away.

The breakfast was top notch and happy hour was enjoyable but bear in mind that the list of complementary beverages is quite limited.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to review - your comments have all been noted and we appreciate them. We hope to add to the list during your next stay -