“Awful room and even worse customer service”

SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End
Ranked #64 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our team is in Dallas on business and half of us are staying at this hotel and the other half are staying at a nearby Sheraton. Since I’ve checked in on Tuesday I’ve experienced the absolutely worst customer service that I’ve ever experienced at a Marriott Hotel.

I checked in and entered my room to feel a cold blast of air (the AC was on High Cool...that can’t be eco friendly). On top of this my room AC system is making an incredibly annoying noise and b/c it was past midnight when I checked in I turned on the TV to drown out the noise and complained the next morning. When I came back yesterday the noise was gone but unfortunately as I’m up at 5am writing this nreview and I’m listening to this noise again. Seriously.

I went to the continental breakfast area. The oatmeal was watered down and there selection was limited...only two fruit selections...small variety. I asked for a bottle of water and the employee instructed for me to go downstairs for this. (Why can’t you sell water upstairs?) I went to the front desk and she told me it was in the marketplace area. Walked over and saw nothing but soda. My team is with me at this time as we were heading out and everyone wanted to grab a bottled water. I told the front desk rep that the water is out and she said “well then we don’t have any.” So you mean that there is not one single bottle of water in the entire building or was she too “busy” to go grab a few bottles for us? A nicer customer service response would have been…”we have fresh water and cookies behind you but unfortunately I can’t leave my desk to grab any at the moment.” She could have also said “there’s a CVS one block away as an alternative option.”

The icing on the cake… I woke up this morning around 4:30am in the morning and called downstairs and spoke with a woman at the front desk. I’m 5 months pregnant and have been under the weather so I asked could two bottles of water be brought up to my room. She says, “I don’t have anyone to bring it to you. My valet is out getting a car right now.” I told her I didn’t mind waiting until they are back. She says, “He has other cars to get after this one so it’s going to be awhile.” I said “ok” and then we hung up. I’m surprised that the Valet would be this busy before 5am. 15-20 mins later I have a knock on the door and the valet guy is standing outside of my room with two bottles. I’m thinking “Oh, what a surprise b/c I was getting dressed to go downstairs.” He hands me the bottles and says, “They told me to tell you that next time you need to go downstairs to the marketplace and get these yourself.” Are you serious? I said, “who told you to inform me of this?” He said “the girl at the front desk.” So time out - why didn't she just nicely inform me of this over the phone that this was a onetime courtesy instead of making up excuses for how busy “her people” were.

So frustrated, I called the front desk again to ask for Jeff Durham’s email, the General Manager and the front desk person said "I don't have Jeff’s email." She gave me someone else's and with attitude concluded with “you want my name too?”

Your staff talks to me as if they are not in the customer service business at all, as if I’m not paying to stay here, as if I’m we’re just two random people passing each other on the street.

I’m astonished at this b/c I’ve stayed in Marriott hotels all over the world. The other half of my team is staying at the Sheraton hotel nearby and they’ve said that they are really enjoying the experience. I’m regretting my decision on staying here and would definitely not recommend this hotel for future reference.

Room Tip: 3 of 4 team members were placed in handicap rooms that have really low closets making it difficult t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jametria T
jeff d, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It was very disappointing to learn of the various issues you encountered while you were a guest of our hotel. I will be reviewing your experiences with the various associates that were involved in hopes that this type of behavior never happens at our hotel again.

This, of course, is not the type of service our hotel or Marriott strives to deliver to our guests. Although we are not a full service Marriott hotel with more amentities and staff; we should have been able to accomodate your requests in a more customer service oriented manner.

Please accept my apologies for the service level you experienced while you were a guest of our hotel.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

All-in-all, the room was not fantastic at this SpringHill Suites. A little dated. But the staff made up for it with excellent service, considering I had special needs for this business trip. They accommodated me in every way, suggesting less expensive parking options, expanding my checkout, and providing excellent directions. A very good downtown location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the kind review. It is great to hear that our associates were able to help you with your needs. I will make sure I share your review with our staff.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We choose SpringHill Suites both because it was near the Dallas Convention Center, our destiny, and for its price.
We were most satisfied with our choice.
The property is within walking distance from the Convention Center. Some reviews have commented about homeless people near the hotel. Well, as at almost any downtown areas there are some poor people around but we walked around during the day, at night and at early morning and never felt uncomfortable.
Near the hotel there’re good restaurants. You don`t have to take a car to find a good meal. There is a liquor store and a CVS store next block.
The hotel, one of the Marriot chain, was excellent. The reception people were friendly and we got our room before the check-in time. Our room was huge with two comfortable double beds and a large dinging/living room with a fridge, a microwave and coffee making facilities. There is also an iron and an iron board. The Wi-Fi was very good
Included in the rate (149.00 +tax) we got a complimentary breakfast with fresh fruits, eggs and sausage. By the way there is free coffee all day at the breakfast room.
It is an excellent choice for downtown Dallas

2  Thank Murilo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I will make sure I share your comments with our staff.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Yet another standard SpringHill Suite. Another occasion when the attempts to be environmentally aware and reuse the towels goes down the drain with soap and water to wash them. Day one hung the towel as the little sign indicated to reuse - it was changed, day two hung towel and placed the hang tag that says hang the towel to indicate reuse on the towel - it was changed. Took the hang tag to the front desk and said - you can have this and it doesn't mean anything - response - I will let house keeping know. Day three hung the towels - guess what, they were changed. day four - refused house keeping service. why bother with the eco program, spend the time and money to create the signage if the housekeeping culture, training etc does not respect it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
jeff d, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have spoken with our housekeeping department in regards to the several attempts you made to take advantage of the "green program" at our hotel. We certainly failed you, in your attempt to be environmentally friendly. I apologize for this. I hope you continue to use the various "green programs" that Marriott has in place. We will be having a total hotel "green training" in hopes that we can partner with our guests, where possibe, to be help our environment.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

On a business trip still social activity is desirable.The hotel is 15 min walking from the convention center and 10 min from NBA basketball in the American Airlines center. Perfect location.
The personel is extremely friendly and pleasant. The complimentary breakfast is great .
The rooms are large and the airconditioning somewhat noisy.

Room Tip: The 10th floor is nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the kind review and for taking the type to post in on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It's in the West End area of downtown Dallas with restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. My sister and I were in town for a concert at the American Airlines Center which is only blocks from the hotel. We drove into the hotel valet area and we were greeted with a smile and respect by Henry. He's an asset to the hotel. Our room was on the 9th floor facing the West End and downtown Dallas. We were well insulated from the traffic noises or people on the streets. Upon entering the room, there was a large dining/living room area divided by a half wall to add privacy to the other side where double beds were located. Dated furniture, but nice lamps for good lighting. The light in the bathroom and the sconces around the mirror were all very dim. Other amenities included a microwave, small fridge, coffee maker, iron and ironing board. The check in and check out process was very easy and quick. I would stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
jeff d, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I will share your kind comments with our staff and especially Henry. He is truly an asset to our hotel.

If your travels bring you back to the downtown Dallas area, we hope you do choose our hotel again.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stay in several hotels a year and are usually very pleased with the Marriott chain. Unfortunately this was not one of those times. I will start with the good... The AC worked great! We actually got cold. The beds & pillows were very comfortable. The staff seemed very friendly at check in and as we left. Its very convenient to AAC. We walked to and from the Stars game ( little less than a mile each way ) Now the not so good. Its an older hotel which has a neat appeal from the outside however I was hoping the inside was a little more modern. The lobby was small but cute. Our "suite" was reasonable size but thats about it. the couch was very uncomfortable, the furniture was outdated ( the whole room was ) . It was a very odd layout for the room, not your typical walk in and bathroom on the left or right. The bathroom was right across from the bed. So your view from sleeping was the sink ( outside the restroom area ). The TV was in an odd spot, you couldnt see it from the couch that well but you couldnt see it from the bed either. It was really pretty much between the two. The parking was off site ( except valet ) and we had to circle around a few times before we realized we were supposed to just pick a parking lot and pay the machine to stay there. Luckily we could see our car through our room window. My husband was up checking on it several times during the night because of all of the homeless people begging for money on the corners near here and the prostitute that was roaming the parking lot ( this is right across from our hotel ). You could hear the traffic and noises outside of the hotel off and on all night. Then we went to eat the free breakfast the next morning. It was very basic. I know most of them are but this one didnt have as much as most even and what they did have wasnt very good. The sausage links were either burned or not done at all and the eggs my husband said were not good either. The bagel was stale also. Im not sure about the oatmeal or muffins we didnt bother trying them. ( The breakfast area was roomy though that was a plus ). Most hotels have biscuits and gravy now, this one didnt offer anything like that. After breakfast we went back to our room to try to relax awhile before checking out, we hadnt been back 10 min. and the housekeeping knocked on our door and wanted to clean our room... this was at 8:30 in the morning ( on Sat ).. my husband politely told her since check out wasnt until 11 it would be closer to that time when we left. She left but then we heard them banging around on the other doors in our hallway ( 4th floor ) So we just packed up and left a little early. So it boils down to its a convenient hotel to AAC but for the price its not worth it. I would get a nicer place a mile or so down the road. I hate leaving neg. reviews but I hope it helps other travelers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cresia
jeff d, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Dallas Downtown/West End, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the SpringHill Suites by Marriott Dallas West End. We appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand of hotels. The SpringHill Suites brand is in the moderate priced tier of Marriott hotels. We offer a complimentary hot breakfast with a variety of choices. We do not offer a full variety of restaraunts and menu offereings that can be found in some of our other upper tiered Marriott brands. Our hotel was renovated this year with all new rooms in accordance to the SpringHill Suites by Marriott standards for decor and style and bedding.

We are located in a large downtown area with all the various large downtown environments. We offer valet parking and/paid parking located conviently across the street.

Thank you again for your review and your loyalty to the Marriott brand of hotels.