“Did not meet our expectations”
Review of The Joule, Dallas

The Joule, Dallas
Ranked #7 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“Did not meet our expectations”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Ok, so maybe our expectations were too high. But this wasn't quite as chic or posh as we anticipated. The lobby, although it was small and narrow did contain some great artwork. However, I didn't quite get the point of the giant cogged wheel (I am sure that there is some story) or the long (very long) wooden reading table that took up a good portion of the lobby. It just didn't seem to fit with the theme. But, then again, maybe there was no sort of decorating theme? The room (a suite on the 5th floor) however , was nicely appointed in a modern deco theme that ran fluidly throughout the 2 room suite. My only complaint was that the furniture was dark wood and the carpet was dark- which made the already small (and somewhat cluttered) space seem even more boxed in.

The hotel is in a good overall downtown location just a few steps from Neiman Marcus and some great restaurants and a short car ride to The Convention Center. But downtown also means noisy especially in a hotel with windows that aren't very soundproof. Don't book a room that overlooks Main Street! The noise from the street kept us awake all night. There were at least 8 ambulances that drove by in the early morning hours, all with their sirens blaring and lights flashing!

So, not only will you be sleep deprived after staying at this hotel, but you will also be disappointed in the service. After we checked into the hotel we were somewhat on our own. The sofa bed, that the staff had assured us would be unfolded and turned down upon our arrival, was not even touched. They could have at least brought us some linens or something. The elevators (3 very small ones) were surprisingly slow. We waited for at least 10 minutes for an elevator to take us to our room. In fact, there was quite a large crowd that had gathered by the time the elevator arrived. Several people, tired of waiting, had already taken to the stairs. If I didn't have my luggage to carry, I would have most certainly followed their lead.

The whole vibe at this hotel was just weird. I can't really describe it in words. But, it was somewhat dreary. The people seemed angry and aloof. I don't think that I've experienced this at any other hotel in Dallas- not the Crescent Hotel, the Omni, not even the Mansion. It wasn't even like a snobbiness , it was just a cloud of gloom.

And to top off our already not so great service, the valet brought my car back with a flat tire!

Room Tip: Reserve a room on a high floor and one that does not overlook Main Street!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank PixieMama
JouleDallas, Manager at The Joule, Dallas, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Good afternoon PixieMama,

I was very disappointed when I saw your review about The Joule. Service is one of the aspects we truly pride ourselves upon, and during your stay, we seemed to have clearly missed the mark.

It is not typical that if a sofa bed has been requested to be turned down that it is not done for you prior to arrival, and we are certainly sorry to hear that the hotel seemed "somewhat dreary" while you were here with us.

I would really like to hear more details about your stay and do our best to remedy the time you spent with us. If you could reach out to me directly at the email address below at your earliest convenience, that would be great.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Kristin Assad
gm@thejouledallas.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Midland, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2014

this was my first time at the Joule and I will definitely be back. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. The hotel is gorgeous and inviting. The pool area is a great place to relax and enjoy the end of day. The room was very comfortable and clean. Enjoyed it!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Oakland, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This was my second stay and I love this hotel. Very chic and hip. The rooms are very nice, totally modern, apple TV, electronic lighting and drapes, fabulous rainhead shower large enough for two, nice bath amenities, free wifi. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great coffee in the local coffee place in the lobby. Very good food in the restaurant (although I was only there for dinner), nice wine list, excellent bar service. Only criticism was the housekeeping. Very sloppy: dirty glasses left in the room, wet towels left in the shower, trash not emptied. Quite surprising given the level of all other elements. But I will stay here on my next trip to Dallas.

Room Tip: room away from Main street, which is a very busy noisy street
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I booked our wedding night hotel a few weeks in advance and I must say our amazing stay started out with the friendly voice on the other end of the phone who took our reservation. He also offered us a local discount as we currently live in the DFW area. I then was transferred to the concierge who helped me plan a rose petal surprise for my new bride. When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly valet and staff who all congratulated us on our marriage, which made us feel special. The room was amazing (joule deluxe suite) and the bathroom also amazing. The bed was super comfortable and ambiance of the room made it a very romantic night.
I recommend this hotel to all my friends and I recommend it to anyone reading this. Top Notch hotel.

We plan to come back sometime soon to experience all the hotel has to offer...especially the cantilevered pool.

• Stayed July 2014
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in the terrace suite for a couple nights before we left for our honeymoon. The room was better than advertised and we were not disappointed. The people were nice. We used their Audi car service which I recommend.

The only reason reason they did not get 5 out 5 was because their coffee shop and hotel restaurant were not very good and they are not recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
texas
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

First time at the joule and I can say we will be back. Everyone we came into contact with made u feel like a welcome guest. Both the hotel and room was clean and inviting. Pool is small but unique. Room finishings were tasteful-comfortable and modern. Enjoyed it.

Stayed August 2014
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We initially booked a loft but the a/c unit wasn't working so we got upgraded to a penthouse suite across the way.

The Loft: Even though the a/c went out the room/loft was amazing. It was 2 story like a small townhome. Very modern. The bed was upstairs with it's own bathroom. Had a glass railing? overlooking the living room. Downstairs there were 2 restrooms. One full bath (awsome tub with view) and one guest restroom by the entrance. It was just fantastic. The wooden floors made the room pop.

Penthouse: Wow wow and wow. Once you enter you are greeted with 3 3D- holographic paintings/photographs. Neo-gothic and will catch you by surprise. The dining area was on point. You have a full kitchen, which includes a pull out fridge, trash compactor, dishes, wine glasses, kitchen utensils etc etc.. You have all you need to throw a private dinner party. There are 2 restrooms in the penthouse. One guest restroom right after the entrance and one full bathroom (without a tub) in the bedroom. You'll get a 75 inch flatscreen in the living room (samsung) an all-in-one command center remote. The remote controls everything from the tv, surround sound embedded in the ceiling, to the curtains that surround the whole room/ penthouse. When you enter the bedroom theres a closet area to the right. Kinda cramped/ narrow. To your left restroom. Youll get a king size bed with a fireplace ( that had a non-working remote for it) and if the curtains are up the room overlooks the outside dining area. You'll have access to the whole walk-around patio area. It comes complete with lounge chairs and an outdoor dining area. The view is overlooking Neiman Marcus below, and the other rooms of the hotel. Oh btw, the elevator is kinda small going to the penthouse, which is separate from the other elevators in the main lobby. You'll have a private entrance/exit by the elevator.

Pool: It' small but not everyone thats in the pool area will be swimming. There are lounges and cabanas surrounding the pool. Ambiance is kinda "Miami'ish", on a smaller scale. Towels and showers to your right after enterning through the door. Bar to the left. The pool was cool swam up to the glass edge and you can see traffic and " The Eye " below.

Staff: They staff was superb, professional in every way. I couldn't have asked for a better staff. Very accomodating and friendly. Even the maintenance guy was cordial and professional.

Overall I would stay at The Joule again, even if it isn't in the penthouse. Bravo!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family