“It was ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“It was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Very pretty lobby and events area down stairs, decor on the room floors not as impressive. Room was large with a big closet and beds were comfortable enough. Seems like the place could use a serious deep cleaning and refurbishing. Lighting in the bathroom was incredibly dim but there's a wall mounted phone...shower rod was rusted and dirty, ceiling had cracks that had been painted over. Some of the towels were stained. Yes, it's a historic hotel but I've stayed in several historic hotels that still felt very clean and current. We booked room at a discounted rate, would have been very disappointed if paid full price + the $ 28 for valet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your letting us know about the disappointing aspects of your stay. What you describe is not acceptable, and our management will be addressing what happened, rest assured.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we had to wait 10 min for someone to valet our car, and we were the only car. The staff all acted mad. Our room was dirty. There was left over soap left in the shower from previous guests. Two light bulbs were burnt out and when the air conditioner came on or went off it sounded like a machine gun going off! It literally woke me up every 20 minutes during the night. They also LOST MY HUSBANDS TUXEDO that had been delivered the previous day. Thankfully we were able to rent one. After we complained about the problems they offered to give us free parking for a day. After spending $600, $28 off is more like an insult than a comprise. Don't stay at Adolphus!!! Our friends stayed at Hyatt and it is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Our senior management is looking into the problems you experienced and will be following up on each one.

Thank you for letting us know. Please accept our apologies for your poor experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

An historic hotel with lackluster service. Housekeeping inconsistent then very slow to address problems. Incorrect billing but didn't find out until I got home as they could not run my bill upon checkout due to some technical issue. Building needs some repairs. Certainly did not meet expectations.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Kind regards,

Cheshunt, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

read a few bad reviews about this hotel but having stayed for 3 nights i found the place to be excellent.
lobby is really worth visiting even if your not staying.
room clean olde world style that i had no problem with.

no vending machines on the floor but not the biggest issue i have ever had as it does not fit in with the decor

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Guest,

The management and staff appreciate your kind compliments and fair review.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor travelers.

We hope your travels will bring you back to Dallas and The Adolphus soon.

With best regards,

Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

When I went to write this review, I noticed I'd reviewed it before upon a previous visit. Sadly, nothing has improved. It is nothing more than a relic trying to get by on its history. It starts with arrival. I arrived at approximately 5:30pm on a Friday and waited about ten minutes to be able to pull off the street into the mandatory valet parking. I noticed a similar back up the following day. Here's a tip: hire more people. Then, you can move the cars more quickly. Bad first impression.

Check in took a while, but was fine. I went to my room and noticed two things: 1, the toilet was running (leak) and 2, the top of the wallpaper was COVERED with a layer of dust. GROSS. Because it had two double beds and I was by myself I asked for a new room. They told me to come down and they'd give me one. (No suggestion that they'd send someone up with a new room key right away).

My new room was in the corner on the 21st floor (may have stayed in very same room before). Similar dust on the walls. I have uploaded a photo of the air vent in the bathroom. This is normative for this hotel. Gross. Also, the bathroom is dark and has an old style tub.

I needed ice. I took off looking for the ice machine. No luck. You have to call room service. I did, and 15 minutes later, I had ice. The next day I needed an iron. There was an ironing board, and a spot for the iron, but no iron. I called housekeeping to get an iron. 4 stars? Come on.

I concede I prefer more modern hotels. If you love old hotels, you might like this one, if they cleaned it. But considering what it could be, it's incredibly depressing.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms and corner rooms provide some needed peace.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Our senior management team will be reviewing your complaints and following up with appropriate action to ensure that what you describe does not happen in future.

We apologize that we continue to disappoint you.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Dirty, no free wifi, over priced, go elsewhere. Hotels nearby are nicer and less expensive. I was stuck here five nights. I should have gone next door. The free gym was Nice. Live and learn when in Dallas stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Adam,

Your comments gave us pause.

bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at the Adolphus for nearly a week in October 2013 on business, and as somebody who has stayed in hotels a fair bit while on business, I try and look out for hotels that have a bit of character - and this was a great example - it had bags of it! It also has a great location - only a few mins walk to the Convention Centre, and to the trams to get around further. On top of that - great service, lots of space, and beautifully furnished - I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind compliments and high praise. We appreciate it so much.

We hope you will return, again, soon.

Best,