“Adolphus - traditional or just lazy?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #17 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
London, United Kingdom
“Adolphus - traditional or just lazy?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

As with all reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, my views and opinions on The Adolphus in Dallas are entirely subjective.

If you were to ask me whether I would recommend this hotel, my answer would be emphatically “no”! My reasons are set out below.

As others have commented here, The Adolphus is a dated hotel. It likes to describe itself as “traditional” but believe me, ‘dated’ is the correct description.

We booked into the hotel as part of a four state trip, taking in five cities and five different hotels. The Adolphus was the worst by a country mile.

We had booked an “Executive King Suite”, described down his nose by the front of house manager as a “Booking.com rate deluxe room”. When we arrived in the room, it was distinctly average or below. There was an empty crisp packet in the middle of the floor and a lip balm stick in the bin. Despite the hotel guide claiming the mini-bar was restocked daily, it was completely empty.

When we tipped the bellman for delivering our bags to the room, we asked him for some ice. Such is the complete indifference which the staff display here, although acknowledging our request, he failed to act on it.

An hour later we decided to go for a walk, but took the opportunity to raise our initial concerns with the front desk. Annoyingly the front of desk manager insisted on standing behind the raised box plonked right in the middle of the reception and marked “Registration”. As I had no intention of walking over to engage with him I stood where I was until he deigned to walk over to me. I found this extremely rude.

I reported to him that we had not received our ice and that the mini-bar had not been restocked despite the hotel guide stating that it would. He replied that the guide had been out of date “for a long time”. When I suggested that, if that was the case, it might be a good idea for the guide to be updated, he looked at me like I had asked him to kill his first born.

I handed him the empty crisp packet (I had no intention of putting in the bin myself) and the lip balm. His only response was “ohhh”. No apology, no regret, just indifference. Obviously something the front desk encounters on a daily basis.

Now, the décor. The corridors resemble scenes from The Shining and I half expected a small child on a tricycle to hurtle around each corner! The walls are painted a kind of pistachio green and the carpets look like they were around before JFK last visited town. It is so old fashioned it insults those hotels which are genuinely traditional, in the true sense of the word. This hotel gives the impression that its management simply cannot be asked to spend money and hides behind the moniker that what it offers is a pleasant trip down memory lane. Believe me, it is anything but pleasant.

The bathroom defied belief. A ‘traditional’ hotel? With beige PLASTIC loo seats? Come on!

As others have testified here, hot water frequently runs from the cold taps. This is very true, as a spin on this however, on the morning we checked out there was no hotel water at all and we had to shower in cold. When this was reported to the front desk, again indifference. So much so, that I am guessing this is a regular and normal thing here.

The hair dryer was covered in something slimy and had to be held with a hand towel. Speaking of which, the hand towel on our final morning was stained. We left no tip for house keeping because, quite frankly, none was warranted.

Like most hotels, The Adolphus has facilities for checking in to flights and printing off boarding passes. Unlike most hotels, The Adolphus makes you stand up while you do so. A small point I know, but nonsense nevertheless.

The Adolphus was the only hotel on our trip where we didn’t eat. Not that the food was anything other than excellent I’m sure, but we begrudged giving them a single cent more that we had already paid.

To conclude, I would not recommend The Adolphus as you may have guessed if you have read this far. I have also omitted some of the less bad things, simply because in their responses here the management appear to grasp these limpet-like and totally ignore criticism.

If your kind of hotel is one which looks like it was opened at the same time as the Dead Sea Scrolls, leaves rubbish on your room floor, slime all over electrical appliances, takes requests from guests and then ignores them, supplies hot water when you don’t need it and doesn’t when you do and doesn’t appear to care about any of the above, then check in. But don’t say you haven’t been warned.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark S
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your comments.

The management and staff apologize for your disappointing experience. They will use your complaints for further training and as a guide for future improvements.

Your insight and criticisms are invaluable.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had stayed here in 2005 and was curious to see how it lived up to my memories. I was a little concerned about recent mixed reviews but not enough to panic when it was the winner for my Priceline bid. I called a few days before our weekend trip to confirm reservation and to submit my room preference request. Glad I called- the desk clerk, April, couldn't find my reservation. She asked me to email my Priceline confirmation and, after about an hour, April emailed me back to say the reservation was fine. I asked her to put down "high floor, away from elevators, city view" for room preference.

As expected, getting into valet parking on Saturday afternoon was a bit of a delay but nothing out of the ordinary for a large downtown hotel. Yes, it does cost $28 a night but as long as you are expecting it, no big deal. Check in line was long- we there right at the start of 3PM check in- but the front desk clerks were pleasant and efficient so we moved along quickly.

The clerk put us in 1513, two double beds, high floor, away from elevators, city view- yea!The room was not huge but plenty big and the beds were very comfortable. Yes, bathroom is a little dated but clean, nice vanity and a good rain shower head. In room double cup coffee maker and refrigerator, DVD player (although non-techie sister had to figure out the wires when it didn't work for home movies DVD), iron and blow dryer in nice walk in closet, plenty of plug ins for phone chargers. I see what folks mean about having to order ice from room service but I kind of like not having to hear an ice maker all night or people roaming the hallways in search of an ice machine/vending room. I thought the carpets and furniture were just fine.

The public areas are some of the best in Dallas with so many historical and architectural details. We ate in two of the three restaurants, the Rodeo Bar and Grill and the Bistro. Both were quite good, reasonably priced with attentive service. We were pleased with the pleasant and professional valet and desk staff. Yes, valet service took about 15 minutes getting the car but, again, if you are expecting that, it was no big deal.

For the price, location, pleasant and helpful staff, I would certainly recommend the Adolphus.
I know the hotel has a planned renovation in 2014 and I am sure everyone, staff and guests alike, looks forward to upgrades, particularly technical ones. I plan to be back.

Three minor points that we didn't even remember to mention when we saw housekeepers- only one washcloth the first day, only one water glass both days and no coffee cup replacements second day.

Room Tip: I always try for a high room away from elevators. Be sure to ask for city view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fair and balanced review. You make some excellent points, and we appreciate your taking the time to list them in such a kind and gracious way.

We look forward to your return.

With kindest regards,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I recently held a conference at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas. The food, staff and accommodations were great! Loved the food and high tea. The staff was exceptional, and the rooms comfortable. A nice property to work with.

I know the hotel ill be undergoing a soft renovation, so that will make this property exceptional.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your praise for our staff, accommodations and food. You are most kind.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will come back, again.

Warm regards,

Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Big gap between the photos/description and the reality. I was expecting a fine, elegant hotel. And there is some remnant of the hotel's earlier glory: the lobby, with its polished wood, subdued color tones, and fine tapestries met my expectations.

And we were grateful for the upgrade to a very spacious room.

But the decor of the rooms is dated, and not in a good way. Rather, in a drab, somewhat sad and somber way.

The Bistro was right out of a 3-star property, with a combination of bright colors and accents more evocative of a family resort near the beach, than of a grande dame hotel.

The bar and grille was atmospheric, but in a way not quite fitting a five-star property. It was more like a neighborhood joint where you might run in to the likes of Roseanne and Dan. And I'd be happy to hang out with them; I just wouldn't expect that scene at a property that purports to be on par with the Four Seasons.

As a result, the discount package we got didn't feel like a deal. In fact, it felt like I overpaid.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your compliments and your constructive criticism. It is important to receive this feedback to help guide our constant improvements.

Please accept our apology for what you felt were disappointments.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Very pretty lobby and events area down stairs, decor on the room floors not as impressive. Room was large with a big closet and beds were comfortable enough. Seems like the place could use a serious deep cleaning and refurbishing. Lighting in the bathroom was incredibly dim but there's a wall mounted phone...shower rod was rusted and dirty, ceiling had cracks that had been painted over. Some of the towels were stained. Yes, it's a historic hotel but I've stayed in several historic hotels that still felt very clean and current. We booked room at a discounted rate, would have been very disappointed if paid full price + the $ 28 for valet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your letting us know about the disappointing aspects of your stay. What you describe is not acceptable, and our management will be addressing what happened, rest assured.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we had to wait 10 min for someone to valet our car, and we were the only car. The staff all acted mad. Our room was dirty. There was left over soap left in the shower from previous guests. Two light bulbs were burnt out and when the air conditioner came on or went off it sounded like a machine gun going off! It literally woke me up every 20 minutes during the night. They also LOST MY HUSBANDS TUXEDO that had been delivered the previous day. Thankfully we were able to rent one. After we complained about the problems they offered to give us free parking for a day. After spending $600, $28 off is more like an insult than a comprise. Don't stay at Adolphus!!! Our friends stayed at Hyatt and it is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guest,

Our senior management is looking into the problems you experienced and will be following up on each one.

Thank you for letting us know. Please accept our apologies for your poor experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

An historic hotel with lackluster service. Housekeeping inconsistent then very slow to address problems. Incorrect billing but didn't find out until I got home as they could not run my bill upon checkout due to some technical issue. Building needs some repairs. Certainly did not meet expectations.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations.

Kind regards,