“This is one of my FAV high end hotels!!”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Abilene, Texas
“This is one of my FAV high end hotels!!”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It's been a little while since I have stayed at the Adolphus (but tripadvisor only goes back to Dec 2012) but it's just because I haven't been able to get into the area to stay there!!! My daughters and I experienced the awesomeness of this hotel when we were touring around the area. If you're looking for a very high class, luxury stay where you can enjoy the surroundings and CLASS of the area... You must stay and EXPERIENCE the Adolphus!! This is what sets this hotel apart from the others around the downtown Dallas area---- you STAY at the other hotels... You EXPERIENCE the Adolphus!!

It's a $$$ hotel, but if your willing to treat yourself... This is my "go to" hotel!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your compliments and praise for our accommodations, staff and service.

Thank you so much for recommending us.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Adolphus Hotel is a class act. Never stayed in a Hotel where everyone from the Doorman to the Front Desk, to the Concierge, the Maid and everyone else was such a class act. Rooms where very comfortable and clean. They bent over backwards to give us great service. We heard that they are going to remodel the rooms soon and our only request would be, please put room safes in the room.

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all very good.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Barney,

Thank you very much for your compliments about our staff. They appreciate the pat on the back.

We hope you will come back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

There are so many great hotels in Dallas. The Adolphus is absolutely not one of them. Although the staff is friendly, the hotel is so old and worn down that I was afraid to touch anything. My room was disgusting. Filthy, old, no water provided, TV didn't work, bed sheets were filthy. Don't ever stay there.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Michael R J
Dear Michael,

Our senior management team has been alerted about your complaints and will be following up.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Kind regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The above summary just about sums it up. Terrible experience. They refunded my room and I promptly checked out; but I have never felt more violated and save for a few kind gentleman (concierge, security manager) the reaction from "management" was sub-par. I would never return to this hotel or any of their affiliate properties.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank FrequentTraveler278
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for recognizing those staff members who assisted you. Everyone felt terrible that you lost your laptop and jewelry. They did their best to do what was within their power to do.

This month another travel magazine highlighted what hotels can and cannot do when personal items are lost or stolen. What we did for you was exactly what the travel writer commended the hotel in the article for doing.

It is also important to make use of the in-room safe provided for valuables. The ones we provide are large enough for laptops. Making sure one's guest room door is securely locked is also critical.

Professional thieves are everywhere, and guests must be ever vigilant, regardless of where they are staying. Their upscale attire is meant to blend in and deceive.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It looks great from outside but inside it is one old hotel.
The reception is unfriendly and when you call them from the room they just put you on hold forever (even at night). there were some strange noises and I couldn't sleep so I called and try to make them relocate me to another room but they kept hanging up on me or/and keeping me on hold and then hang up.
Very disappointing. Nice location though but seriously It is not a 4* hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank usroman0719
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry you had such a poor experience with us. Our senior management team is looking into your complaints to determine what went wrong and why. You can be certain they will be following up on your concerns.

Thank you for letting us know.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As with all reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, my views and opinions on The Adolphus in Dallas are entirely subjective.

If you were to ask me whether I would recommend this hotel, my answer would be emphatically “no”! My reasons are set out below.

As others have commented here, The Adolphus is a dated hotel. It likes to describe itself as “traditional” but believe me, ‘dated’ is the correct description.

We booked into the hotel as part of a four state trip, taking in five cities and five different hotels. The Adolphus was the worst by a country mile.

We had booked an “Executive King Suite”, described down his nose by the front of house manager as a “Booking.com rate deluxe room”. When we arrived in the room, it was distinctly average or below. There was an empty crisp packet in the middle of the floor and a lip balm stick in the bin. Despite the hotel guide claiming the mini-bar was restocked daily, it was completely empty.

When we tipped the bellman for delivering our bags to the room, we asked him for some ice. Such is the complete indifference which the staff display here, although acknowledging our request, he failed to act on it.

An hour later we decided to go for a walk, but took the opportunity to raise our initial concerns with the front desk. Annoyingly the front of desk manager insisted on standing behind the raised box plonked right in the middle of the reception and marked “Registration”. As I had no intention of walking over to engage with him I stood where I was until he deigned to walk over to me. I found this extremely rude.

I reported to him that we had not received our ice and that the mini-bar had not been restocked despite the hotel guide stating that it would. He replied that the guide had been out of date “for a long time”. When I suggested that, if that was the case, it might be a good idea for the guide to be updated, he looked at me like I had asked him to kill his first born.

I handed him the empty crisp packet (I had no intention of putting in the bin myself) and the lip balm. His only response was “ohhh”. No apology, no regret, just indifference. Obviously something the front desk encounters on a daily basis.

Now, the décor. The corridors resemble scenes from The Shining and I half expected a small child on a tricycle to hurtle around each corner! The walls are painted a kind of pistachio green and the carpets look like they were around before JFK last visited town. It is so old fashioned it insults those hotels which are genuinely traditional, in the true sense of the word. This hotel gives the impression that its management simply cannot be asked to spend money and hides behind the moniker that what it offers is a pleasant trip down memory lane. Believe me, it is anything but pleasant.

The bathroom defied belief. A ‘traditional’ hotel? With beige PLASTIC loo seats? Come on!

As others have testified here, hot water frequently runs from the cold taps. This is very true, as a spin on this however, on the morning we checked out there was no hotel water at all and we had to shower in cold. When this was reported to the front desk, again indifference. So much so, that I am guessing this is a regular and normal thing here.

The hair dryer was covered in something slimy and had to be held with a hand towel. Speaking of which, the hand towel on our final morning was stained. We left no tip for house keeping because, quite frankly, none was warranted.

Like most hotels, The Adolphus has facilities for checking in to flights and printing off boarding passes. Unlike most hotels, The Adolphus makes you stand up while you do so. A small point I know, but nonsense nevertheless.

The Adolphus was the only hotel on our trip where we didn’t eat. Not that the food was anything other than excellent I’m sure, but we begrudged giving them a single cent more that we had already paid.

To conclude, I would not recommend The Adolphus as you may have guessed if you have read this far. I have also omitted some of the less bad things, simply because in their responses here the management appear to grasp these limpet-like and totally ignore criticism.

If your kind of hotel is one which looks like it was opened at the same time as the Dead Sea Scrolls, leaves rubbish on your room floor, slime all over electrical appliances, takes requests from guests and then ignores them, supplies hot water when you don’t need it and doesn’t when you do and doesn’t appear to care about any of the above, then check in. But don’t say you haven’t been warned.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark S
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your comments.

The management and staff apologize for your disappointing experience. They will use your complaints for further training and as a guide for future improvements.

Your insight and criticisms are invaluable.

Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had stayed here in 2005 and was curious to see how it lived up to my memories. I was a little concerned about recent mixed reviews but not enough to panic when it was the winner for my Priceline bid. I called a few days before our weekend trip to confirm reservation and to submit my room preference request. Glad I called- the desk clerk, April, couldn't find my reservation. She asked me to email my Priceline confirmation and, after about an hour, April emailed me back to say the reservation was fine. I asked her to put down "high floor, away from elevators, city view" for room preference.

As expected, getting into valet parking on Saturday afternoon was a bit of a delay but nothing out of the ordinary for a large downtown hotel. Yes, it does cost $28 a night but as long as you are expecting it, no big deal. Check in line was long- we there right at the start of 3PM check in- but the front desk clerks were pleasant and efficient so we moved along quickly.

The clerk put us in 1513, two double beds, high floor, away from elevators, city view- yea!The room was not huge but plenty big and the beds were very comfortable. Yes, bathroom is a little dated but clean, nice vanity and a good rain shower head. In room double cup coffee maker and refrigerator, DVD player (although non-techie sister had to figure out the wires when it didn't work for home movies DVD), iron and blow dryer in nice walk in closet, plenty of plug ins for phone chargers. I see what folks mean about having to order ice from room service but I kind of like not having to hear an ice maker all night or people roaming the hallways in search of an ice machine/vending room. I thought the carpets and furniture were just fine.

The public areas are some of the best in Dallas with so many historical and architectural details. We ate in two of the three restaurants, the Rodeo Bar and Grill and the Bistro. Both were quite good, reasonably priced with attentive service. We were pleased with the pleasant and professional valet and desk staff. Yes, valet service took about 15 minutes getting the car but, again, if you are expecting that, it was no big deal.

For the price, location, pleasant and helpful staff, I would certainly recommend the Adolphus.
I know the hotel has a planned renovation in 2014 and I am sure everyone, staff and guests alike, looks forward to upgrades, particularly technical ones. I plan to be back.

Three minor points that we didn't even remember to mention when we saw housekeepers- only one washcloth the first day, only one water glass both days and no coffee cup replacements second day.

Room Tip: I always try for a high room away from elevators. Be sure to ask for city view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fair and balanced review. You make some excellent points, and we appreciate your taking the time to list them in such a kind and gracious way.

We look forward to your return.