“Quality but Dated”

Ranked #19 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Taipei, Taiwan
“Quality but Dated”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a historic building in downtown Dallas, the Adolphus has been operating for quite some time, and though the architectural details remain rich and luxurious, the interior finishes (carpet, wallpaper) could use a good update. Regardless, service was top-notch and we were offered to upgrade our room. The room was very sizeable and included a seating area, decent sized bathroom, iPod docking alarm clock and a very comfy bed. All in all, a good spend for your money, and a convenient location if you have business in the downtown area. Also, a good place to stay if you would like to have some (limited) eating / shopping locations within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,

You are most kind to post a review and give us your feedback. Thank you for the high marks and constructive advice.

We wish you happy travels.

Warmest regards,

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Beautiful Holiday Decorations with a piano player in the afternoon in the bar/tea area. Great room service breakfast and the deluxe rooms are very large. Staff were very friendly and warm. Perfect for a weekend get-away! We were lacking one robe in our room and we called to ask for one and they brought it within 5 minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Meredith,

Thank you for your kind compliments. Our management and staff appreciate knowing that they impressed you all around.

We hope you will return often to relive your happy memories of The Adolphus.

Cordially,

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are a little run down. They definately need to change the carpet. If you change the carpet it will make a huge difference as no one wants to walk on a dirty carpet. Our iron was broken and stained one of our shirts. A maid quickly came up to replace it which was nice. The area is great, you can walk to bars, restaurants, and a taxi is very easy to find! Overall a good stay in a great location.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Judy,

We appreciate your gracious feedback and high praise for our location and staff. The improvements you mention will be coming soon.

Thank you for staying with us.

Kindest regards,

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at The Adolphus Hotel in November 2013 as I was attending a conference there over a four day period, and was travelling solo.

My interest in staying in the hotel was historic, as well as it's reputation as one of the best hotels in downtown Dallas. I was not disappointed upon arrival - this hundred year-old hotel is a real gem, and very fairly priced in comparison to similar hotels in my native Australia, which would probably be 2-3 times more expensive.

The lobby, bar, and lounge areas are classic old skool charm. The rooms are quite large, getting close to some of the largest I have stayed in during my international travels. My room had a king sized bed, with a lounge area immediately forward of that. There was plenty of room to stretch the contents of my luggage out, and the bathroom amenities were very ornate and impressive. The only complaint I had about the room was that the shower was rather touchy, and it was a fine art to get the shower running at a temperature where you wouldn't get either scolded or frozen by the running water, but I never made an issue of it. When I was checking out, another guest was complaining about this in their room, but I found it manageable and a very minor problem that was resolved by a little patience with the fawcet.

The wifi was steady, and was only disrupted a couple of times during my stay. It was very good in the lobby, but I noticed it didn't have the range in the ballroom, where my conference was.

One thing that was great was the sports bar at street level at the front of the hotel. I had a dinner & a lunch there during my stay, and the meals were pretty good quality. There was also a souvenir shop & snack/cigar shop just to the right of the escalators, which had some pretty good stuff, although I tended to buy my drinks at the convenience store across the way on the side street.

At the front of the hotel was a car rental outlet. I was renting a car with Avis, and picked the car up at the hotel when I checked out with no problem.

My window had a great view of Main St in downtown Dallas, and I was only a couple of streets away from the Dallas tram system. I think all the shuttle drivers must know the place, because when I took the shuttle from DFW International Airport, I got straight there with no fuss.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel, and as I now consider Dallas as a great way to enter the US from Australia, I can see myself returning, and I will not hesitate to book there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

The Adolphus is a favorite among Australians, we are proud to say. We are delighted that this tradition continues with your recent visit.

Thank you for providing a thorough and fair review of the hotel for prospective guests. You are most kind, and we appreciate it.

With our very best wishes,

Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 10 December 2013

What a delight! Arrived at the Adolphus to have a man dressed out with hat and long coat open my door and welcome me to the Adolphus. It was like a seen from a movie. My bags were moved to the reception area where Mark greets us and confirms our reservations. I received an upgrade to my room which was a pleasant surprise. (icy weekend and not many people out) Paul (aka Elvis) takes our luggage and meets us at the room. Room 601 executive suite was great overlooking small park across the street decorated with a large Christmas tree and lights. We had just got back from a Dallas Stars game ( Go Stars!) and wanted to relax a bit. So we took the beautiful elevators down to the enormous lobby. We found a great nook by a festive hall tree decorated for the holidays and sat in some over sized wing back chairs. Being a little cold from the ice and hockey game set my wife to the lobby bar for a coffee drink. Enjoying my warm drink sweet Christmas carols start playing from an amazing Steinway grand piano. I found out the Steinway piano was owned by the Guggenheim family prior to the Busch family purchase. The Adolphus was built over 100 years ago by Adolphus Busch and know as the finest Hotel west of the Mississippi. Surrounded by beautiful furnishings in a wonderful room and classical Christmas carols, I felt like I had left my life and was transported to a different time.

Returning the room I noticed the art on the wall and historic pictures of the Adolphus. What a need idea. The room is beautiful, spacious and inviting. It was very cold outside and the room was amazingly warm. Bathroom covered in marble and has brass facets. Very large bathroom with thick white cotton bathrobes to greet me after my shower.

Returning back to the hotel that night, Paul greets us and we start a conversation about the hotel. Well Paul takes us to some amazing wall photos of the Adolphus from times in the early 1900's on up. Wow talk about your personal touch. The place is historic and filled with amazing memories from our past and yet clean and fresh.

The Adolphus is an amazing place and you owe it to yourself to experience it at least one in your life. I love this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, higher room have better view of sky line. Every room is different no cookie cut...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle R
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Kyle,

What a delightful review. We know many travelers will find your comprehensive blog very helpful.

Your opinion is shared by the vast majority our guests, to be sure.

Thank you for your many compliments and high praise!

Warmest regards,

Palmer, Alaska
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I very much appreciated the friendly and personable service from the Concierge staff, the service and friendliness from the Bistro breakfast staff, and the front desk was friendly and efficient, also. I disagree with Exline's comments about the rooms needing upgrading, etc..
ITS A HISTORICAL HOTEL !
Upgrading would take away from its classic charm and beauty and the historical sense you cant help but feel.

Room Tip: I had a deluxe room with one king bed.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Terri,

How kind of you to recognize our staff publicly for their outstanding service.

Thank you, too, for your compliments about our historic accommodations.

Cordially,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Happened to get this hotel via Hotwire (otherwise would have stayed at Fairmont which was hosting my conference). It is a great find. There is a certain charm in this hotel, the rooms are very big, beds comfortable, the front desk nice. I did find some services a bit slow --had to wait a long time for someone to come and store my bags -- the bags are still there as I am going to return to this hotel in two days from quick two day trip to Chicago -- I hope they keep the bags fine :-) The hotel has a fab restaurant worth the splurge. Its location is also very convenient very close to DART stop.
Oh...and they have a picture of the British royalty visiting there hotel in the lobby :-)
I would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you, kindly, for your compliments and praise. Our staff appreciates hearing your feedback.

The ice storm put us a little bit behind, as you saw.

We are grateful for your business and look forward to your return.

Best regards,