“Old school style”

The Adolphus, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 212 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a conference. The room and bathroom were comfortable and tasteful. The climate control in the room worked well and the internet was good. All the food served at the hotel was GREAT. The reason I'm only rating this a 4 is that that the hallway smelled sort of septic-y for the whole time (perhaps something related to age?), and the rooms often didn't get made up until mid-afternoon. Especially when I'm traveling for business and need to come back to my room to do a little work or make some calls, the unmade bed bothers me. The common areas of the hotel are quite nice, and if you're staying here, it's a good place to meet up. I'd definitely recommend this hotel. I had a room with a view of the air shaft but it was very quiet. Also, there are plenty of well-functioning elevators -- not always a given in these older hotels.

Room Tip: If you hate street noise, there are a lot of rooms that face the air shafts.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GardenStateThree
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments. We also appreciate your taking the time to let us know what disappointed you. You can be sure that these issues are being addressed.

Kindest regards,

David

Write a ReviewReviews (2,701)

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed in this wonderful hotel for four nights while on business in Dallas. Our suite was very comfortable, the beds we so comfortable that you just didn't want to get out of them. The service and staff were very friendly, knowledgable and all seemed to take pride in working in this hotel. They all seemed to have a very positive attitude which showed in their service and presentation. I strongly recommend the room service, it's very well priced, the food is fantastic and it all comes elegantly served on a fold out table, silverware and flowers etc. The hotel itself is an old beautiful building that has been tasteful added on to and upgraded to modern conveniences without loosing the style and elegance of the original. There is underground parking and free wifi. This is a great hotel for couples or business, perhaps not for families with kids. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We are most grateful for your kind words and enthusiastic recommendation.

Our management and staff appreciate your taking the time to highlight our amenities and what impresses you most about The Adolphus.

All of us wish you the best in your travels and hope you will return to The Adolphus very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our room had pink fuzz in several places including the awful shower. When calling room service for ice because no ice is available,the line was busy and they finally called us back when we were asleep. Upon returning home we realized our car was scratched during valet parking!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjm411
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your poor experience. Your comments have been given to our senior management for immediate follow up.

Thank you.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My husband and I started staying at the Adolphus during the Crossroad Festival in Dallas. Been awhile, so I don't remember the year…However, we have come back over and over and have never been disappointed. The value of the room to the service the hotel provides is unbeatable. I am always looking for a deal with quality at luxury hotels.

And the convenience of the French Room for dinner can't be beat. We love it! It is worth the gold. We are always pleasantly surprised when we stay. Just old world meets modern.

I can't say enough…do not walk, run to the Adolphus and make your business, family or romantic fun!

PS: I would tell Patty F…if it was that bad, you should have asked to be moved. We have never had a problem with the hotel accommodating us. We even were given the Penthouse Suite one night by the manager. It rocked. Sorry for your disappointment…But, try again…

Leann W.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It is always a joy to read that our staff impress - and The Adolphus rates a wow from most travelers.

Thank you for appreciating us for what we are and what we strive to be.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Looking forward to a weekend with my husband and 2 teen daughters in The Adolphus Hotel was something of a special treat for us. We had tickets for an event at the American Airlines Center for the evening of Feb.15. I was able to find a GREAT deal on Groupon and booked the hotel. Was very surprised that the rate was available for the evening since it was valentine's weekend. I had called the week before to confirm and everything was set. When we arrived we were welcomed by a wonderful valet person named Phil he made us feel so special and welcomed. We went to check in and was faced by a young lady that was not very welcoming and did not seem as though she wanted to be there. We got the keys and went to our room 1913, I had told my daughters about this famous hotel and they were amazed by the wonderful and gorgeous lobby. I was disappointed in the small elevator that at one time was a beautiful well keep jewel. The wood was so scratched and scuffed that I thought it was something that should be maintained on a regular bases. when we got to our room we like the size it was a room with 2 double beds, bathroom was a nice size. As we were getting ready we noticed that the lamp in the room had a torn lamp shade. The walls were stained with some kind of dark liquid ( coffee or soda) and it was at eye level. There was no refrigerator in the room and it was clear that at one point there was one. We rushed out to go to our event and the valet was so nice that he told us that the hotel had a complementary car to drive us to the AA center. He got the driver and car in a few minutes. We felt so special to have our own chauffer to drive us. He was very friendly and made us feel very special something that my girls will never forget. Upon our return to our room we got ready for bed. We got in the bed and it squeaked all night every time we moved. In the bathroom a bulb was out and the shaded on the lamps were torn and very dusty. The fixtures on the toilet and sink were stained with green mildew. While I was taking a shower the tile was crumbling and falling. The makeup mirror was loose and wobbly on the wall. The housekeeping that I was thinking this being a world famous hotel would have much better than this. Upon further inspection of the room the wall between the bed and the windows was falling apart. In the morning my husband was ready for a cup of coffee and was going to make it but we had no cups. we had the coffee maker and coffee and all the fixing but no cups. At this point we were ready to check out. Upon checking out the young man at the desk asked me how everything was and I told him just fair he asked why and I told him. This is such a beautiful and wonderful hotel that the management has let it get to this point I would be ashamed if someone would have paid full price and get this room. The young man said that they are about to start a 50 million dollar renovation. I told him that they need to start with room 1913. I do understand that this is an older hotel and have been to several in my past as a travel agent. I do hope that this hotel will return to grand jewel that it was at one time.

Room Tip: I think that from reading some other reviews the Groupon rooms are the ones that are inside rooms wi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pattty F
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointing experience. Rest assured, our executive team will be following up on your complaints immediately.

Thank you for letting us know.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was in Dallas last week for business and stayed at the Adolphus for "political" reasons, not because it looked like my kind of place. I tend to prefer modern and urbane over overly historic and perhaps past it's prime. I really liked my stay at the Adolphus. The room I had on the 22 floor (2204 I believe) was spacious and homey without being dank and musty as is too often the case at "historic" hotels. The bed was nice and firm, the pillows soft and cuddly and the staff at the hotel was perfectly professional without being stiff and formal. Kind of like being in a top European hotel minus the attitude. I slept like a log and will return next time I'm in Dallas even if I have no "political" reason to do so.

Room Tip: 2204 is large and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and gracious review.

We appreciate the vote of confidence and look forward to your return.

Cordially,

Reviewed 19 February 2014

The Adolphus is a landmark building in downtown Dallas with a beautiful interior. We stayed here one night over the weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary and dine at the French Room. We stayed in a suite that was updated at some point recently, which is important to me because you never know with older hotels such as this one. We had a lovely dessert plate with a nice note wishing us a happy anniversary when we arrived. I was impressed but the personal gesture because this hotel has a lot of guests and seemed out of this world busy the particular weekend we were there. The French Room is just gorgeous and always a delightful experience, but honestly not the same treasure that it was only a decade ago. If you want "old world" dining in Dallas, this isn't it anymore. It's hard to comment on the value of our stay, but overall it was a good place to have an overnight in the heart of Dallas.

Room Tip: Find a way to get complementary parking because the price is outrageous.
Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind compliments.

We appreciate your insight, too. The feedback you have provided will help guide our enhancements.

All the best,