“If I Go Back to Dallas, I'll Go To The Adolphus”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“If I Go Back to Dallas, I'll Go To The Adolphus”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I don't know where some of these reviewers stayed, but it wasn't it the same Adolphus it was in. It was my most pleasant hotel experience in many years...maybe ever. The room was big and well-appointed and very comfortable, thanks to a responsive thermostat. The shower fixture was very cool (:)), but it's true that hot water came out of the cold water tap. Even the upstairs halls are extra-wide! I looked for wear in the carpet and dings in the woodwork -- didn't see any. It may be an older hotel, but it's well cared for.

I was in Dallas for a convention, but I never had to wait for an elevator and the lobby was never crowded. The lobby is great -- warm dark wood and beautiful carpet with comfortable chairs/sofas in various nooks and crannies so you could have a semi-private conversation. And a huge skylight! It helps that registration is one floor down from the lobby. By contrast, the lobby in the Hyatt Regency in San Diego is a vast empty space with literally NOWHERE to sit.

The breakfast buffet was affordable (<$18), including coffee and juice. The downstairs bar/restaurant was excellent -- nice people, good food, and cold beer. It was easy to find a table near a TV, but with enough light to read.

I was on the tail end of a 12-day trip, so it wouldn't take much to make me complain. The Adolphus has lots of character and I actually enjoyed my stay there.

After I got home, I realized I'd been overcharged for parking. A quick call to a very courteous person in Accounting solved the problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IviumBoy
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Adolphus. Your views are shared by the vast majority of our guests who travel frequently and know how to compare hotels realistically.

We appreciate the compliments and kind words. Your thoughtful analysis will be helpful to many travelers.

Thank you, too, for recommending us!

Kindest regards,

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We got a special offer through Living Social and decided to spend a weekend in Dallas. This is an older hotel that is in serious need of updating. We had an Executive Suite room on the 10th floor which was comfortable and very quiet. The blackout curtains worked particularly well. Lighting in the room was poor and our "cold" faucets all delivered hot water. Showers were uncomfortable because of the water temperature. The staff was attentive and I was really impressed that a town car was available until 8 PM for trips to and from restaurants. Staying here is recommended only if you get a really good rate. I doubt, however, that I would ever plan a return visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback. It is always helpful.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Lubbock, Texas, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was here as part of a professional conference -- surely an important segment of business for this legendary hotel -- but my eager anticipation was deflated from the moment of check-in, when staff were so overwhelmed with arrivals that they failed to get my cart to the right room or direct me properly through the maze of elevators. The confusion was compounded by an out-of-service escalator. The bank of elevators was insufficient to promptly meet demand, in the midst of a noisy and rude group of cheer & dance participants, whose unchecked antics in the hallways disturbed a considerable number of guests throughout the conference. In the hotel room, a previous guest's (opened) water bottle was left in the mini-fridge, and someone's handwritten comments, unflattering to management, were left on the flyer underneath the glass of the desk top. On departure day, I found I'd been charged with parking for another vehicle in addition to my own, and it disturbed me considerably to realize the hotel would have simply handed over someone else's luxury car and let me drive off in it. I'm not a difficult traveler to please, and I love staying at historic hotels with character -- but all of these little things, taken together, made for an uncomfortable and inconvenient stay at a legendary property I'd looked forward to. It's not likely I'll be back.

Room Tip: The room layouts in the historic Adolphus vary widely, I saw from the fire-escape floor plan. Some a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apology for your disappointing stay. Your comments provide invaluable feedback, and we thank you.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

My mom used to stay here as a young girl, 50+ years ago. I brought my young daughters and her for a short stay. My 11 year old said it made her think of the Titanic movie, it's very charming:) We are staying in a suite and I have to say it's quite roomy. Great, friendly staff!!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Mom22girls14
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that your family's history with The Adolphus continues with your most recent visit.

Your daughter is quite right. The hotel was built the same year as the Titanic, and many of our architectural features mirror those on board the luxury liner.

Thank you for staying with us. We hope you and your family will come back soon.

Kindest regards,

Wichita Falls, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I like the old charm to the lobby and the elevators but the rooms do not match, suite had a weird chandelier with crooked lights hanging over the dining room table. The rooms need a make over and can style keep the class from the past. They really like the color green. Oh and after booking a suite online we got to our room and found it was incorrect, called down to the front desk and they argued with me over the one, had to pull up my email confirming the suite booking and then it was changed. A lot of hassle for our anniversary stay

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guest,

We apologize that your stay was disappointing. Your comments will help guide future improvements.

Thank you for frankness - and for complimenting us on the amenities you did enjoy.

Kind regards,

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I travel several times a year (7-8) staying at different hotels in lots of cities. This hotel (The Adolphus Hotel) is one of the nicest I've ever stayed at. Though it is an older hotel, it is very well maintained, and therefore has a lot of character that newer hotels are lacking. The room was extremely large and nice. The staff was also excellent. Whenever I return to Dallas in the future, I will stay at this hotel. My wife did not get to travel with me on this trip, but I wish she had so that she could have stayed at this hotel. It was really really nice. Most of the time, when I stay at a hotel, they are nice, but they are basically a room and if you stayed in one, you've stayed in them all. However, the Adolphus Hotel has real character, really nice staff and service, really nice rooms, great location in Dallas, I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Dallas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael C
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Michael,

We appreciate your kind compliments and gracious review.

Thank you for praising our staff and accommodations. Our location, as you noted, too, is second to none.

Best regards,

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Don't know why some people are so picky but lets say this: this is old world charm at its best. Did not have any qualms what so ever at this hotel. Don't expect new world technology for old world charm and class.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Robert R
Dear Robert,

You are most kind, and we appreciate it.

It is always grand to hear that charm and class still have an audience.

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers.

Cordially,