“Like stepping into the past”
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #19 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I just celebrated our 19 year anniversary at this hotel. It is immaculately preserved. From the wood paneling to the iron accents and beautiful accents throughout the hotel. During check in, we requested a higher floor, and the staff gladly obliged. We stayed on the 20th floor. We were in a King Suite. This is very roomy with a large sitting area in the room with refrigerator and coffee bar. The view was very nice. The room was decorated simply, with dark wood furniture. It was very elegant. The bathroom was small and basic, but the sink still had brass fixtures and a wrought iron base. Very nice. We did not eat at the French Room, but it looked very opulent and glamorous. We did visit the Rodeo Bar and Grill. It seemed out of place at the Adolphus, but it was very casual and nice. I would envision more of a historic bar in this setting, but it was fine. We did visit the Neiman Marcus Flagship Store, just about a half a block away, that was interesting. Overall a great hotel that we would revisit.

Room Tip: Go with an upper floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that we created a memorable anniversary for you.

Thank you for highlighting our features and the nearby attractions.

We hope you return soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The lobby of the hotel is gorgeous. We had my daughters wedding reception in the Grand Ball Room and everything was to perfection. We were espcially pleased with the food at the seated dinner. The guests throughly enjoyed the beef and sea bass. The chef did a superb job assuring that all the meals were served at the perfect temperatures and with a beautiful presentation. We used the hotel room for the brides older family members to rest if needed during the wedding. The room was very large and beautiful. We had room service too, which was great. They mistakenly charged me to valet park a car and I didn't have a car. I had to call and get that removed. However, the hotel staff was always excellent. And the French Room restaurant is the most beautiful restaurant in Dallas with excellent food.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Our management and staff congratulate you, again, on your daughter's marriage. It is an honor to have been chosen for such an important ceremony of life.

Thank you for your compliments and high praise for the hotel and The French Room. They have been shared with all of our staff, who send you their best wishes.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel is a huge thing, with one person at the front desk for the size of the hotel!, with an intermittent concierge!!, great rooms and very poor bathrooms!!!. The hotel is very clean, the drivers of the limousines are very very nice people, the place seemed to me to be a little bit too pretentious.

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind compliments and constructive criticism, both of which are most helpful.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Recently stayed there for my son's wedding reception. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and courteous. The hotel has a lot of charm and class. It is in an excellent location downtown which allows you to walk around and get a feel for the city. The room was comfortable and spacious. The food was quite good. Can't say enough about how accommodating and pleasant the staff is no matter where you go in the hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

All of us appreciate your hosting your son's wedding reception at The Adolphus. It was a joy getting to know you all.

Thank you for praising our staff and their service. We are delighted that you were impressed with their hospitality.

Congratulations, again, on your son's marriage. May this always be a treasured memory.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Very nice stay at the Adolphus. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. Upgraded the room on arrival - Nice surprise. Best thing though was the complimentary Town Car and driver waiting to take us anywhere we needed complimentary. As many times as we stayed there was unaware or this service. So much nicer than getting a cab.

Room Tip: Just ask for an upgrade. If they have an open room they gladly give you one.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Susan,

Your compliments mean the world to us!

Thank you, too, for highlighting our complimentary town car service. It is, indeed, a wonderful amenity that saves time and money.

We look forward to your next visit.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was impressed in many ways. The magnificent old building gives it lots of charm and originality, but I didn't feel like things were dated. My room was wonderful and had beautiful furnishings. Most hotels have very austere, boring, and completely uniform decor, but not here. I actually had REAL furniture, not just a faux headboard nailed to the wall. The staff and service was also excellent. Everyone I spoke to was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I had breakfast at the in-house bistro and the food was delicious, accompanied by first-class service. And, although I didn't order room service, I did notice that the prices were very reasonable. I couldn't believe that pancakes were just $12 on the room service menu. I've seen them for $26 before! I really have nothing bad to say about my stay. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Beverly,

We are delighted and honored to have earned your high praise.

Thank you for recognizing our staff for their first-class service and graciousness. They work very hard to impress, as you learned firsthand.

We hope you will return often to relive your happy memories of The Adolphus.

All the best,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here 3 nights in a regular room with King bed.

First off, the pros..
- The lobby is gorgeous. It is obvious that this hotel is old. There is a very historic look to it.
- The staff are quite friendly and helpful. I really only spoke to the valets, for the most part, who were all awesome.
- The room was quite large.

The hotel has some amenities in it that we didn't get to experience, due to lack of time.. but most will like that it has a pool and what sounds like a great restaurant (or more) in it.

Cons:
- The bed was TERRIBLE. It was one of the worst ones I've slept in. The bed was beaten to a pulp. This hotel, as mentioned, is quite old. It felt like this was the original bed!
- Hot water.. they've got lots. Cold water? Maybe if you scoop it out of the toilet. I couldn't even stand in the shower the first day because the water was way too hot for me, even on the lowest setting. It worked fine for my wife though, so it wasn't terrible.
- No safe... I didn't think this too big of a deal though, since it's a fairly ritzy hotel (apparently?), but it would be nice if I could lock up valuables.
- Expensive WIFI. At the time of writing, it was $10.95. Lots of lower quality (again, apparently) hotels have free wifi. This is 2014... time to get with the times.

I would never stay in this hotel again. Its staff are quite courteous, so nothing against them, but this hotel really didn't offer anything to me that made me want to go back. The charm is in the front entrance, lobby and elevator, but it dies once you exit that elevator. Everything is quite dated. It's long overdue for renovations.

This very well could have been just a problem with the room we were in, given the other glowing reviews. But we're fairly well travelled.. stayed in some great hotels and some bad.. and this was definitely among the bad due to the fact that I would have rather slept on a bed made of broken glass.

Dear Chris,

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for disappointing you. Your comments will help us identify what went wrong and why.

Thank you for praising our staff, in spite of our flaws. You are most kind.