“Lovely old hotel”

Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Portland, Oregon
“Lovely old hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here, I always like to stay at historical hotels when I travel to different cities. I got an excellent price for my room via Groupon. The hotel is right in the center of downtown Dallas and has a ton of history, Presidents, Queen of England etc. stayed here. We did not eat at the restaurant but did order room service which was wheeled in with a tablecloth and an attentive waiter. The beds were nice and and had a nice view. The only thing was that I left a phone charger in the wall and was not able to get it back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your kind words and insight.

Thank you for highlighting our history and the outstanding service that has been a part of our tradition for more than a century.

We hope you will return, again, soon.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

If you want to stay in an elegant hotel with European charm and beauty, you will want to stay at the Adolphus Hotel in Dallas, Texas. My family and I were welcomed by a friendly and accommodating staff. We stayed in three different rooms and each one was gorgeous, comfortable, and clean. It was a wonderful experience, and we will look forward to staying there again on our next trip to Dallas. We highly recommend the Adolphus Hotel! You will love it!

Room Tip: I recommend room 1906. It has the most breath-taking view of the city of Dallas.
2 Thank Jeannie V
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Jeannie,

Thank you for your high recommendation.

Our staff appreciates knowing that they impress with their service and kindness.

We hope you will come back and see us!

Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My son and I went to Dallas for his first concert and decided staying the night in town was better than driving home more than two hours. I know, no brainer! I found a good rate on Hotwire and booked the room. When we arrived, we were told there was no self parking. No problem, it would make it easier when we got back from our concert.
When we went into the hotel, there were three gentlemen ahead of us. From my nosiness, I gathered there was an issue with their reservation. I commend the lady at the front desk for taking such good care of them. The only issue was that it was at 3pm when check-in starts. While waiting, about half a dozen other people came to check in as well. 10 minutes later we were still waiting and a lady behind me asked for another employee and was told there wasn't anyone else. In a supposed four star hotel, this is unacceptable. We finally were able to check in and the lady was extremely friendly and professional. We got our room and headed up. Our room was quite large. There were three windows letting in a nice amount of light. Upon closer inspection though, the room was quite run down. The chairs were stained, a few of the lights didn't work, furniture had seen better days, there was rust all over the bathroom, burnt shades on the bathroom light fixtures, and the blinds in the bathroom didn't work.
Our concert was at 6:45 and since I didn't know where the venue was, I wanted to leave early to make sure we got there in time. With that in mind, we were downstairs at 5pm. I knew it could take a few minutes to get our car and I wanted to be safe. I gave the gentlemen my tag and waited for my car and waited and waited and waited. At 5:30, I went to the window and asked how much longer it would be for my car. The man in the office told me it was on its way and shut the window on me! I wasn't a happy camper. People who had arrived after me had already gotten their cars and I was getting upset. I went into the hotel and spoke to Aaron at the front desk. This guy needs to give everyone in customer service lessons. He was that good. He asked if he could get a manager. I told him yes and he started calling around. I went back outside and waited some more. Once again I went to the valet window and asked how long it was going to be as I had been waiting for 40 minutes. I was ignored. Another person showed up and I asked how much longer it was going to be. He told me to stop talking to him so he could get my car. He did go over to one of the guys bringing the cars and asked him where my car was and the guy said he didn't know and went about his day. A manager finally arrived and talked to the people in the valet office. The guy who basically told me to shut up, came up and asked what my car looked like since they couldn't find it. I told him and off he went. The manager came back out at around 6pm and asked if I had my car. I told him no and he let me know I could have their driver drive us to the concert but we'd have to take a taxi back. Since it was after 6pm, I took him up on his offer.
While I was waiting for the driver, David, I thanked Aaron at the front desk. The manager also informed me my parking fee was going to be removed and they would pay for my taxi. I thanked them again, got in the car, and went off to the concert.
Since I hadn't been to the venue before, I wasn't sure how I would get the taxi. Because of this and being a mom, we left the concert early to find our taxi. We found one rather easy and that was a relief. The hotel was true to their word and reimbursed me for the taxi.
The next morning, my son and I utilized the hotel gym which was very nice. They had a lot of equipment and we both had a great workout.
After that we had breakfast in the Bistro. Once again, the service was exceptional. Our waitress, Petra, was so friendly. It was wonderful chatting with her. My son loved his buttermilk pancakes and my eggs benedict were alright. The whites were a little runny, but still tasty.
We checked out shortly after that. Surprisingly, there were no issues getting my car and were on our way home.
I was incredibly disappointed with our experience at this hotel. Since I didn't know how we were getting back to the hotel, I wasn't able to enjoy the concert. I also wasn't much in the mood to enjoy the concert since I was so upset about my experience with the valets. I know I shouldn't have let the experience effect me, but this was an important outing for me and my son. The fact the valets were unprepared to deal with issues during their garage renovation shouldn't have put a dark cloud over our trip, but it did. Because of that, I won't stay at this hotel again. There really is no excuse for service like that. On the positive side, the customer service was top notch, with the exception of the evening valets. That was the only saving grace for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there are renovated rooms.
2 Thank Merechat2
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry our valet parking spoiled your stay.

The parking garage is currently under construction (for repairs) and disrupting our valet parking service. This is no excuse for the poor service, of course. Once the construction is completed within the next two weeks, this part of our operation will return to normal. In the interim, we are at the mercy of the unexpected.

Thank you for being gracious about complimenting several members of our staff. They appreciate your kind words and send you their warmest regards.

We hope you will accept our apologies and allow us the opportunity to make it up to you.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in the heart of downtown Dallas. A mix of modern amenities and 20th century splendor, the Adolphus has everything you need in one location, short of a pool.. The Executive suite we stayed in was terrific for our family of four.

1 Thank Victor W
Dear Victor,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to The Adolphus.

Thank you for letting us know that our staff made you and your family comfortable and cozy during your stay.

We hope you will return to relive your happy memories.

Wishing you more happy travels,

Wellsboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just stayed for two nights Thursday 6/26/14 and Friday 6/27/14. We booked this hotel last minute on Priceline and got a great deal. We liked it so much we stayed a second night. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff is lovely, especially Paul , one of the bellman. AKA Elvis.....he serenaded my daughter with some Elvis songs, she beamed!! The Adolphus Hotel has such a beautiful lobby and check in area, with all the rich wood and grand chandeliers. Please check out The French Room, WOW! We did not eat there, but we peaked in during the day and it took my breath away!! .......The convenience to Main St. is perfect. The only negative is all the homeless around the area. I say that out of love, honestly. My heart breaks for them. It's very near a Greyhound Station, that is the main reason. All in all, I would recommend this hotel to others. Beautiful and historic.

2 Thank 737FOAA
Dear Jim,

We love hearing that you had such a grand time that you extended your stay. This is high praise, and we thank you.

Paul is just one of many staff members who take superb customer service to heart. They want only the best for our guests - and they go above and beyond, time after time. Making a child beam with happiness is just one of the things they do best.

We appreciate your mentioning The French Room - and our convenient location.

Your compassion for the homeless speaks well of you.

With kindest regards,

Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 July 2014

In the tradition of fine old hotels, the stay was exceptional and I would happily stay at this hotel again. It is beautiful, without question, but the ambiance, such as listening to live piano music in the middle of the day, made the experience even more pleasant. The staff was professional and always helpful.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view.
Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to read that you had an exceptional stay at The Adolphus. This is what we want for all of our guests, as you saw firsthand.

Thank you for highlighting our service. Our staff takes great pride in their professionalism and courtesy.

We hope you will come back soon.

Bixby, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for a wedding. They overcharged for the room. Still trying to get a refund. The appetizers were cold and unbearable. The Lamb was seriously uncooked. They took it back for another 20 minutes. Still barely cooked. Must be another example of where the cooks decide how they want you to eat. Best bet for a meal is the the pizza at the 7-11 next door.

Room Tip: If your a yuppie and want to try and impress others, waste your money here.
1 Thank Art B
Dear Art,

Please accept our apologies for your disappointing experience.

If you were overcharged, the hotel will be issuing you a refund, without question.

The lamb was prepared per the hosts' instructions, based on tastings before the menu was chosen. We received many compliments on the reception and the food served. Regardless, we are sorry the appetizers were not prepared to your personal taste.

Thank you for your feedback.