“Late Nights Friday”

Ranked #6 of 251 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1903, this prestigious art venue features a wide selection of art exhibits, from Ancient Mediterranean to Contemporary Art and Design.
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Live music, promotions and events for all ages. World class exhibits always on display with various touring exhibits throughout the year.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"monet"
in 53 reviews

Reviewed 29 September 2012

The Dallas Art Museum is a worthy art venue. The collection is varied and has a good representation of the major genres and artists that you would expect to see. I especially enjoyed the installation of the Wendy and Emory Reves Collection. The museum has replicated their holiday home displaying their exquisite collection just as they displayed it. I always enjoy exhibitions of collectors, especially ones with taste on par with the Reves and collectors that "lived" with their art. As with any museum it has it's gems and this alone was worth the price of admission. I also enjoyed the modern art display which included some contemporary Texas artists. Definitely buy the combination ticket for the art museum and sculpture center which I have also reviewed.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

So many different types of art! I was in there for a few hours and I think I could spend more time there if I had it. Very interesting and the staff was very friendly!

Reviewed 25 September 2012

We liked the museum, a quite varied collection. Some beautiful French period pieces, Impressioism and Contemporary art were our highlights.

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I went to see the Delanay (one of my favorite painters) and much to my surprise they had a really nice modern art section. They did a great job displaying Delanay's Eiffel Tower!!! It can be viewed from inside the section or from a window from outside the section which allows you different perspectives on it (I am sure that was the point considering the point of this particular exhib - about how he looked at the Eiffel Tower with a birds eye view / with a different perspective. IT WAS GREAT!!!

I was beyond happy to find Pollock, Warhol (electic chair), Braque, Picasso, Kandinsky, Mapplethorpe, and best of all several Mondrian's (they even had several early pieces which were beautiful!). The Greek art collection while small, it was impressive.

My only "complaint" would be that the museum was a little bit of a walk from the rest of downtown. I have no problem with the walk, the biggest thing was that there were not markers like the rest of the landmarks downtown so you were not always sure if you were headed in the right direction. I was there on a Sunday and downtown was dead. Never once did I ever feel unsafe. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Been to Dallas Museum of Art? Share your experiences!