“Wonderful for children! (Of all ages!)”
Review of Dallas Zoo

Dallas Zoo
Ranked #12 of 245 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest zoological experience in Texas, the 106-acre Dallas Zoo offers fun, educational and entertaining experiences for the whole family. The Zoo's mission is to inspire a passion for nature and conserve wildlife, and guests can see a number of endangered species and learn about a variety of conservation projects the Dallas Zoo supports. Opened in 2010, our award-winning Giants of the Savanna habitat is internationally known. The savanna features elephants, ostrich, zebras, impalas, giraffes, and guineafowl, often mingling together. The Dallas Zoo is home to a herd of five female elephants and 11 giraffes, which guests can feed by hand. Guests will see the fastest land mammal on Earth, the cheetah, as well as African lions who often spend their days sleeping just inches away from the viewing wall inside the Serengeti Grill restaurant. The Wilds of Africa area features rare animals such as gorillas, chimpanzees and okapi. Guests will enjoy getting eye-to-eye with African penguins as they swim effortlessly underwater. Highlights of the ZooNorth section include the Lacerte Family Children's Zoo, a top-rated reptile and amphibian complex featuring albino alligators, and the Koala Walkabout, featuring the only koalas in Texas, red kangaroo, wallabies, and a lorikeet feeding area for up-close adventures. For alternative transportation to the Dallas Zoo, consider the DART Red Line, which delivers guests to the Zoo's front entrance.
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

The employees/zoo keepers in the trading post in the children's zoo are phenomenal!! we have a membership to the zoo and every time we come with things to trade (insects, leaves, rocks) the people working there are soo knowledgable and speak so well to the children!! They don't "talk down" to kids, but speak respectfully. My husband and I have been impressed, time and time again. I've learned a lot right along side my children. The whole zoo is great, but we've been most impressed by the knowledge and manners of the Trading Post people. (We feel it is worth the membership just for the Trading Post and the knowledge people in it!)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is one of the best zoos in the country, established in 1921, over 100 acres, with continued improvements and animal / people friendly areas. They have a fantastic bird show, the lion show they do is amazing and we loved the pairing of the cheetah & lab...so cute! They have a lot of interactive exhibits, it is well thought out, amazing zoo, with mindful keepers. We can recommend this zoo 101%.

3  Thank Mi-Dan20
Reviewed 9 July 2014

There is a good variety of animals. The facility is very clean. There is an extra charge for a tram ride to see a few additional areas of the zoo. The cafeteria was reasonably priced for a zoo.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was a great place to spend the day while in Dallas. I had been to Dallas many times but had never thought about going to the zoo. Now I make it a habit to go as often as possible. The animals seem happy and the enclosures were clean. A great way to spend the day with the family.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was in Dallas for business and had my Mother and 5 year old son with me. With a bit of a free day we choose to go to the zoo. It is easy to get to from down town. The price is very good as well. It was $42 for all 3 of us. My son is obessed with reptiles and that was the first exhibit. It was very good. Every kind of snake you could imagine is on display. I have not been to many zoos but this exhibit seemed well done to me. It was not crowed at all may have been due to the rain. If it had not been for a rain delay we would have been able to see the entire zoo rather quickly. We did skip the kids zoo, living in KY we have lots of events that involve petting zoos. The Savanaha animals were great! Up close experience with Giraffs and the lions. It was feeding day for lions and that was a great experience, the closest i had ever been to lions. I do have to mention the gorillas they are always amazing. Our day was almost ruined as a rain storm had left the monarail broken down and because of that they would not let people pass through to the other part of the zoo. It seemed a mess with several workers rudely yelling at people to stop and turn back. We passed time in the gift shop and gave one last check and it was finally opened. I will say the ladies in the information booth were very helpful and nice. As i said i do not go to zoos a lot but at the end of the day we were happy we had visited. My son really enjoyed it and thats what matters.

Been to Dallas Zoo? Share your experiences!